Author Topic: Carlton L 1.8i Restoration Diary  (Read 3731 times)

Nath2162

Carlton L 1.8i Restoration Diary
« on: September 20, 2014, 12:21:51 PM »
Well, its been a while since saying I was going to be restoring one of eco4ian's carltons. I have now got her in my possession. Its going to be a long and windy road to get her back to her former glory, and to be honest, sitting here now at the very beginning it seems like a mammoth task. I have included some pictures below of how she stands now. Main problem area is rust. *note to self, buy a new welder*. Will undoubtedly be asking may questions along the way.

#

Got my work cut out!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

chris

Re: Carlton L 1.8i Restoration Diary
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 04:42:18 PM »
If its rot is confined to what we can see then its a good one and a relatively easy restoration. It certainly looks quite nice.

Wheelarches, sills and back doors are the first bits to go and you can buy repair panels, its the rest of the car that's a challenge.

Keep the pics and questions coming.

Nath2162

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 04:52:01 PM »
From what I can see, that's all the rust. There is the obligatory rust around the windscreen and rear window, but its only surface rust, and should be gone with a bit of sand paper and a rattle can of paint. Mechanically she is sound, although a bit hesitant (damn near refuses!) to start from cold and bogs down and stalls out under hard acceleration. She basically just needs rust repairs (cutting and welding) and a damn good service and tune up. Haven't really had a chance to dive underneath her yet, but from looking underneath just with her on the ground, she doesn't look all that bad. Maybe a new exhaust at some point, but nothing major, that's for sure.

Having a nice relaxing weekend, but the work starts next Saturday. Want to focus on any potential mechanical faults first, so will be giving that engine bay a good scrub and get it gleaming so I can check for any leaks or corrosion here or there. Already got her a new air filter, oil filter, HT leads and plugs. just need to fit them. Lets give her the best possible chance!!!!!

Updates soon!

;D

Nath2162

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 02:33:31 PM »
Today I couldn't resist!!

Gave her a wash & wax and tried to sort out the rough starting issue. Ended up doing to top end strip down and clean up. Seems to have sorted the rough starting issue. Also gave the dash a good whack and fixed the left indicator lamp! Brute force and ignorance goes a long way!  ;D

And this starting video was FROM COLD after the top end strip and clean...

^^^^^CLICK^^^^^
More to come soon!!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 02:41:05 PM by Nath2162 »

Raka_blakk

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 01:15:31 PM »
Looks good! :)

Nath2162

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 03:14:28 PM »
Looks good! :)

Thanks. Just split the gearbox from the engine to try and find out where a certain rattle was coming from and my initial suspicion was confirmed. Knackered thrust bearing. Clutch has seen better days too. That's one more job added to the list. Something to keep me busy until I buy a new welder and attack the bodywork.

:o

Nath2162

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 08:44:18 PM »
Well, just an iddy biddy update. New clutch is now fitted. I still haven't touched the bodywork due to my lack of a welder. Trying to find one that's suitable for auto work, but that requires one that goes down to ~20 AMPS. They are bloody expensive though and haven't been able to save enough pennies for one yet. Also changed the throttle body as closer inspection revealed a crack in it leading to the rough running I presume. Think that's about it for now. Next update will be once the body starts getting done.

;D

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • Wanted: Life
  • dartford kent
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 07:45:13 AM »
I use an old clarke 165 monster of a machine but does bodywork really well!
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

Nath2162

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 01:22:31 PM »
I use an old clarke 165 monster of a machine but does bodywork really well!
Thanks for that. I'll have to keep my eye out for one.

Nath2162

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 03:00:31 PM »
Ok, just a little update. Clutch done and new prop shaft installed. Replaced a kinked fuel line and now runs sweet as a nut. More pics coming soon when there's something worth taking a pic of.  ;D