Author Topic: seat height adjuster  (Read 2693 times)

copper

• fan of old rock music 80s
seat height adjuster
« on: September 05, 2014, 07:35:21 PM »
does anyone no if u can change the seat hieght adjuster with one thats working without the large spring under seat recoiling and loosing its tension . reason for changing ,telescopic handle broken .

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • Wanted: Life
  • dartford kent
Re: seat height adjuster
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 07:42:09 PM »
if you take the cover and foam off the seat base you will see 4 13mm bolt heads remove them and the base with the adjuster will come off just replace it with the working one!!
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

copper

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 07:54:24 PM »
u cant just remove the 2 bolts on the back of the handle mechanism then .

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 08:06:15 PM »
never tried but iirc the adjuster is "riveted"
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

chris

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 01:20:38 AM »
I just did this job so thought I'd mention the method here.
The handle is riveted or peened onto its shaft (fitted on and end of shaft flared out so that washer cant come off) but can very easily be removed by drilling.
To fit the replacement just pop it onto the shaft and either drill and tap the end and fit a bolt (which I did) or put a tack of weld on.

No need to take the seat off its base this way, it would be easy to do without removing it from the car too.

copper

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 09:38:07 PM »
do u have to retention the spring .

chris

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 10:29:38 PM »
No, no need to disturb the spring, its just a nice simple handle change.

bstardchild

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 11:56:04 PM »
No, no need to disturb the spring, its just a nice simple handle change.

OK chipping in because I do

The main reasons why the handles snap are.......

1. the mechanism is siezed
2. someone has attempted to raise or lower the seat without sitting on it

Mostly it's 1

So it's very important to make sure the mechanism isn't seized or lacking in lubrication and to do that it's easiest to take the seat off the base

leaving the base in the car put plastic under it to protect the carpet while you lube up all the moving bits

Then free it off gently and gradually by plonking a bit of board across the top so you can correctly act as a counterbalance by sitting on it as you try to free up the movement

And of course whilst you can put a handle on in the way Chris suggested - you actually need a good handle from a seat base to do this and that base is likely to be working if it still has a handle that's intact so it probably just needs a good soaking in oil on all the moving bits and a plank of wood to sit on to get it working. (plus side is you don't have to protect the carpets you can do it on the garage floor or even your driveway (might want to protect those from oil but a board will do that too)

Not wishing to start a ruck - JM2pW

Cheers

BC

"The Lotus Carlton is not tail happy honestly - as long as you accept it has 377 bhp and 419 lb/ft of torque, is rear drive and has no driver aids, it's fine."

copper

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 06:28:10 PM »
loveley cheers time to get the tools out on my spare seat , thanks again .

chris

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 07:41:36 PM »
Spot on BC.

The one I replaced was just because the telescopic return spring was broken, it didn't ping back in after use, no problems with the mechanism below so I went with what was easy to me. Not everyone wants to be drilling and tapping or has the gear so even if the mechanism is OK what you described might be better.

They are back in the car now but when I looked it looked difficult to get the seat off the base, I think the bolts were from the top down and covered by the upholstery.
Sorry to seem stupid but is there an easy way to take the seat off the base, am I looking at the wrong bolts or is it easy to remove the upholstery? I haven't tried and don't need to at the minute, just asking for the purpose of thread info and knowledge for future.

Mine are early GSi seats, don't know if that makes a difference.

bstardchild

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 10:33:27 PM »
Spot on BC.

The one I replaced was just because the telescopic return spring was broken, it didn't ping back in after use, no problems with the mechanism below so I went with what was easy to me. Not everyone wants to be drilling and tapping or has the gear so even if the mechanism is OK what you described might be better.

Not a problem Chris - always more that one way to skin the proverbial

They are back in the car now but when I looked it looked difficult to get the seat off the base, I think the bolts were from the top down and covered by the upholstery.
Sorry to seem stupid but is there an easy way to take the seat off the base, am I looking at the wrong bolts or is it easy to remove the upholstery? I haven't tried and don't need to at the minute, just asking for the purpose of thread info and knowledge for future.

Mine are early GSi seats, don't know if that makes a difference.

It's actually easier than you think - yes the bolts are under the seat foam

Now Senators are slightly easier with their nice flat cushions and no bolsters but it should be the same process

Sit on front edge of the seat (I mean the front edge - ie as close to the edge as you can) - reach under the seat front edge and you should find the front edge of the squab dropping down - it's like a stitched in piece of card that is wedged in all the way round and you should be able to work it out of the groove that it's sitting in.

Now with the GSI the bolster foam is around a bar re-inforcing the side bolster so ease the foam up and past the bars

Incidently I had a set of GSi seats years ago that had obviously be sat in by someone of a larger build than me and and I was able to tighten up the bolsters by ratchet strapping the rods together to tighten up the grip - they were lovely seats then :D

Once freed at the front you can lift the squab up and access all 4 bolts with a ratchet ring spanner

Don't forget to unplug the seat heater wire is heated seats are fitted
Cheers

BC

"The Lotus Carlton is not tail happy honestly - as long as you accept it has 377 bhp and 419 lb/ft of torque, is rear drive and has no driver aids, it's fine."

chris

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 11:36:27 PM »
Thanks for that, useful info :)