Author Topic: GSi 24v sills MOT  (Read 1910 times)

dave lynch

GSi 24v sills MOT
« on: August 16, 2014, 06:07:32 PM »
Put my carlton through mot last Monday and she failed because 2 rear brake pipes where corroded and my passenger sill is 'rust eaten/holed'. so I took it to my mate who does all my work and he said id need a sill as there is nothing to weld to and it had been patched before and a new sill would be a far better job. the cars already had the driver side sill replaced and the both rear arches so would be good to get a new one and that would be it perfect. seen replacement sills on ebay and on a couple different sites, any advice on wheres best to buy them and be able to post to northern Ireland? would like to get good ones that aren't thin, shit ones that are going to rot again within a year lol.

any help would be appreciated.

chris

Re: GSi 24v sills MOT
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 11:04:06 PM »
Your local car spares shop can probably order them from wherever they get all of their panels, they were made by Hadrian, I think they were the only manufacturer supplying to the UK, Im not sure if Hadrian are still in business as they went into administration a while back but someone will probably still be making the parts or supplying old stock.

You can / could get full sills which go into the door shuts or cover sills that are just for the external part of the sill depending on how much rot you have.
They call them cover sills but as you will know covering the old sills is a bodge but the cover sills can easily be used to do the job properly.

Other than buying genuine from the main dealer I don't think you will find much variation in quality, I've had a few and the quality has never varied that I can tell.
They will all dissolve in a couple of years if you don't go to the trouble of a very heavy dose of cavity wax.
I also paint the inside of panels with zinc primer or similar before fitting, and of course paint the outside well afterwards.

I will be fitting a pair myself soon but I already have them put away.

It sounds well worth doing, that's not much for a Carlton to fail its test on.

chris

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 11:09:03 PM »
I forgot to say, on a GSi I would stonechip the lower flange and edge of the bottom of the sill where the front wheels can throw stones up to (before paint), it wont be seen once the sill covers are back on.

dave lynch

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 08:34:49 AM »
Thanks for the reply chris
There's a motor factors over here in N.I that supplies all old vauxhall and opel stock so I'm going to give them a ring tomorrow morning and see if they can get them, if not I'll go for the ones on ebay. Think I'll get a full sill that goes up to the door shuts, means then they can use what they need rather than be left short a couple of mm.

Would you just use waxoil to fill the cavity with chris?

Aye I thought so too, its already had all the other work done to a good standard and its been really well looked after, will be a good job when its finished

chris

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 08:32:27 PM »
Personally I use Waxoyl mixed with white spirit so that its very runny for quite a while and can soak well into the seams.
A lot of people use other things including Dinitrol, I'm not saying that there is a right or wrong, just lots of opinions, you just have to choose.

When I do it I tape up the drain holes in the bottom then put a lot of the Waxoyl mix in and leave it like that for a week or so otherwise it drains straight out without time to have a good seep into the seams.

dave lynch

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 10:17:48 PM »
Personally I use Waxoyl mixed with white spirit so that its very runny for quite a while and can soak well into the seams.
A lot of people use other things including Dinitrol, I'm not saying that there is a right or wrong, just lots of opinions, you just have to choose.

When I do it I tape up the drain holes in the bottom then put a lot of the Waxoyl mix in and leave it like that for a week or so otherwise it drains straight out without time to have a good seep into the seams.

sounds good lad, never has to do anything like this before so just trying to get some options.
think ill get waxoil for the cavity of the sills then shutz for any bits outside.
Think i have a bit of a mission on my hands, have to find a sill, have it fitted, get it painted and get it in for a retest within 2 weeks.
joys of owning a carlton lol