Author Topic: 1990 carlton gsi 24v update 27/01/15  (Read 10054 times)

alastair

Re: 1990 carlton gsi 24v
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2014, 06:51:08 PM »
Funny but yours has exactly the same changes as mine, the rear lights and the wheels. Giveaway is the early type front indicators!
1991 GSI 24v man
1993 Senator 24v CD Auto (for sale)
1991 Lotus Carlton (WIP)

dave lynch

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2014, 08:27:11 PM »
Funny but yours has exactly the same changes as mine, the rear lights and the wheels. Giveaway is the early type front indicators!

think the facelift wheels and tail lights suit a grey gsi far better, dont think the 5 spoke gsi wheels suit them at all. I would be very tempted to get facelift interior wings and indicators for mine

dave lynch

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 08:04:47 PM »
Havent updated this in a while as had the car off road for winter to get some bits sorted and have it ready for summer. Think i have a lot more work than expected but mostly all niggley things. I stripped the interior and all all carpets out of the boot and only found a small hole in the back of the passenger side wheel arch so happy enough lol.

things i plan to get sorted..

-fix digi dash or replace as old one has packed up.
-replace fuel pump.
-remove petrol tank and paint.
-weld any bits that are hidden, car past mot 5months ago so only small bits to do that where hiding in the arches.
-stonechip and waxoil underneath.
-maybe strip running gear and suspension and paint.
-replace head lining and any damaged interior trim.
-remove and paint rocker cover and dual ram and paint.
-fit lowering springs to front.
-smaller profile tyres.
-fix back bumper where towbar was.

and that would be it ready to see the donegal in june if all goes to plan, fingers crossed lol. Will get some pics up of how the car sits now, also found old photos from previous owners and some pics of the history file with the car, nearly all the work throughout its life was carried out by vauxhall garages, the amount of money spent on it was shocking lol.

dave lynch

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 08:06:33 PM »

dave lynch

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 08:13:17 PM »

dave lynch

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2015, 08:24:23 PM »
This is how the car looked when i bought it in august

This is one from the first owner in ireland, carlton at the carlton lol

Found this on google before i bought the car, must been when it was in england

How it looks now in its new home

Jimmy

• Zepp
  • Wanted: Life
  • South East Bruv!
Re: 1990 carlton gsi 24v update 27/01/15
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2015, 08:16:21 AM »
So you gonna tell us how much you paid then ??

Looks tidy mate! Niice
Just one now -
94' Senator 24V Ex-Old Bill - The White Pearl

dave lynch

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2015, 10:46:13 AM »
Over the 2 grand mark anyway jimmy, too much lol

cheers mate, should be alot tidier when im finished, it deserves to get a bit of work with all the history and its in good shape for a carlton

0795omega

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2015, 09:54:10 AM »
nice to have all that interesting paperwork with it!

dave lynch

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2015, 09:04:52 PM »
Always good to know it got anything it ever needed and done right, wont be having no work done by vauxhall anymore though lol

dave lynch

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2015, 08:39:28 PM »
Bit of an update on the car as its finally coming together, got it running again after being dead for a couple months, think there might have been a couple issues with it not starting which is why it had my head fried as im no expert, started with a new battery and had spare ecu, fuel pump relays and crank sensor on hand too, so i had a mix about with the spare parts to get it going. 

I started with changing the crank sensor as the one in the car was in bad looking shape, the wires had the sheaths cracked and taped up at some stage. With that changed the car would still not start, i was getting spark but no petrol. Checked the plug for the fuel pump and wasnt getting 12volts. O then took the casing off one of the fuel pump relays to check to see if it was working, seemed to be 2 sides of the relay and they where both sending power out to seperate wires when the ignition was turned on so i was happy enough to believe it was working lol. 
Made no difference with the spare relay in too. So i ran a new live and earth direct to the pump to see if the car would go and it started first turn of the key.
So i think there could be a break in the wire going from the relay to the pump, Does anyone know if one of the wires from the relay goes direct to the pump or does it go somewhere else first?
And does the wires for the pump go down through with other wires in the middle of the boot floor?

Also got the car in to get the rust in the inner wings sorted and full sill on the drivers side, i probably could have had it patched but though it be best to do it right the first time as i already had the passenger side done last year so that should be the welding do e for another couple of years and its solid everywhere now. Should have it back in time to build it back up again and have it out for the donegal rally on the 19th june.

bstardchild

• Wanted: Life
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2015, 10:51:33 AM »
i was getting spark but no petrol. Checked the plug for the fuel pump and wasnt getting 12volts. O then took the casing off one of the fuel pump relays to check to see if it was working, seemed to be 2 sides of the relay and they where both sending power out to seperate wires when the ignition was turned on so i was happy enough to believe it was working lol. 
Made no difference with the spare relay in too. So i ran a new live and earth direct to the pump to see if the car would go and it started first turn of the key.
So i think there could be a break in the wire going from the relay to the pump, Does anyone know if one of the wires from the relay goes direct to the pump or does it go somewhere else first?
And does the wires for the pump go down through with other wires in the middle of the boot floor?

The FPR is also and ignition relay - hence the two sides - if you have random starting issues I would advice to buy a new Opel Relay - not an aftermarket

I've never found a break in the wires to the Fuel pump in all my years of Senator/Carlton ownership but I have had lots of occasions where what seems to be a perfectly OK relay gives real issues (sometime completely random miss-fires and non starting) I think it's due to bounce or chatter on the contacts on the fuel side that can upset the ignition side or vicki verki

First thing I always do it swap the relay for any random fault codes that are registered but cannot be explained or starting/running issues that seem strange. It's been proved time and time again that it's a good approach

PS it's a manual right?
Cheers

BC

"The Lotus Carlton is not tail happy honestly - as long as you accept it has 377 bhp and 419 lb/ft of torque, is rear drive and has no driver aids, it's fine."

dave lynch

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2015, 07:27:49 PM »
i was getting spark but no petrol. Checked the plug for the fuel pump and wasnt getting 12volts. O then took the casing off one of the fuel pump relays to check to see if it was working, seemed to be 2 sides of the relay and they where both sending power out to seperate wires when the ignition was turned on so i was happy enough to believe it was working lol. 

The FPR is also and ignition relay - hence the two sides - if you have random starting issues I would advice to buy a new Opel Relay - not an aftermarket

I've never found a break in the wires to the Fuel pump in all my years of Senator/Carlton ownership but I have had lots of occasions where what seems to be a perfectly OK relay gives real issues (sometime completely random miss-fires and non starting) I think it's due to bounce or chatter on the contacts on the fuel side that can upset the ignition side or vicki verki

First thing I always do it swap the relay for any random fault codes that are registered but cannot be explained or starting/running issues that seem strange. It's been proved time and time again that it's a good approach

PS it's a manual right?

The spare one i bought was an aftermarket so it might be worth getting a new genuine one just to make sure.

The reason i thought it may be a broken wire is because there is a bunch going through the bootfloor that look like they could be dodgey, you know if the wires for the pump pass through there?

Ill get a genuine one ordered anyway just to rule it out 100% before i start doing anything rash, cheers mate.

Yeah its a manual.