Author Topic: Hello!!  (Read 3388 times)

Fletch26

Hello!!
« on: July 22, 2014, 08:53:59 PM »
Hi folks,

Picking up a Carlton on Sunday with a view to restore it. I am a mechanic, but know nothing about these cars. Don't know what year it is, colour or even trim. All I know is that it's a 1.8 that used to run until it was stood and now doesn't. Turns over and sparks but no fuel. As you can see, this really is a blind project for me, so I'll undoubtedly be asking lots of questions along the way.

Also, thanks to the admin who got my account activated.

Fletch26

0795omega

Re: Hello!!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 12:45:13 PM »
good luck with that,not many 1.8 ones around now

Fletch26

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 01:33:08 PM »
Thanks. Parts will be hard to come by then. Oh dear.

PeterC

• Wanted: Life
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 04:00:32 PM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of Carltons.

I think a reasonable quantity of engine bits will be the same as for Cavaliers etc. Perhaps the non-start is the fuel pump relay as this is a common problem (about 5 and a knuckle bash behind the trim just to the right of the accelerator pedal on the way up to the dash). Generally a reliable lump though.
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.

Fletch26

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 06:02:46 PM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of Carltons.

I think a reasonable quantity of engine bits will be the same as for Cavaliers etc. Perhaps the non-start is the fuel pump relay as this is a common problem (about 5 and a knuckle bash behind the trim just to the right of the accelerator pedal on the way up to the dash). Generally a reliable lump though.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. My initial thought was fuel pump, so I wasn't too far out. This is exactly the reason I signed up here. Thanks.

It's going to be a long running project, but it was donated to me and as such hasn't cost me anything so if I have to spend a few pennies here and there I don't mind too much. I want to keep it 100% original as best as I can. Is there a place to put restoration diaries on here? Would like to share the progress with folk.

chrismec

• Poole Dorset
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 07:45:03 PM »
Hi and welcome, wealth of knowledge on here from some great guys, carlton mad and murph are your spares gurru's ;)
Good luck with your project and get some pics up :)

Fletch26

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 08:17:15 PM »
Thanks for that. If all goes to plan, I'll be picking her up on Sunday, pics will follow immediately after. Will definitely start a photo diary of the restoration. Planning to do as much of it myself as possible, but my understanding is that there is some bodywork that needs attention (incase you hadn't figured, I have never even seen this car) so will have to outscource for the painting as my (limited) skills end at welding and filling as far as bodywork is concerned.

I'm really looking forward to putting another Carlton on the road.

(A little background about me:  when I was born some 21 years ago, the car my father used to bring me home from the hospital was a 1.8 Carlton. With a baby of my own due in 8 months, kinda hoping to carry on the tradition. So as much as this is a long term project, it has to be at least roadworthy within an 8 month time frame. I think I may be cutting it close.)

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 09:37:33 PM »
where abouts are you based chap??

the further south east the better well n/w Kent really 
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

Fletch26

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 04:03:32 AM »
Peterborough. I used to live in kent actually. A beautiful part of the country.

24Vdiamond

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 04:55:52 PM »
The early 1.8s used a pierburg carb with mechanical fuel pump, good carb while its working! good luck and check for rot!
280,000 miles of 24V fun and slowly dissolving!!

Fletch26

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 07:13:23 PM »
From what I understand, most of the tin worm has been welded already. What are common problems with the 1.8, and especially the carb?