Author Topic: Hi from Fife, Scotland  (Read 7768 times)

FOAD

Hi from Fife, Scotland
« on: June 16, 2014, 11:33:35 AM »
Finally I've managed to get on the forum after being banned instantly by accident when registering, Thanks to everyone who helped sorting this out.
Anyway, I'm Scott from Dunfermline. I recently bought a Carlton 2.0cd Estate for 250 quid it had 4 months tax and 1 month mot when I bought it around a month ago, I've driven all over Scotland in it and can't fault it, it's a lovely car and feels very modern compared to what I'm used to.
It sailed through its MOT last week with only a couple of small advisories...

DSC_0540 by srblythe, on Flickr

FOAD

Re: Hi from Fife, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 11:42:27 AM »

DSC_0344 by srblythe, on Flickr

The car has a couple of problems, the heater blower doesn't work on any settings, I don't know if it's the motor that has blown or the resistor is away so I'm hoping I can get it working before winter as demisting the front windscreen might be an issue.
The car is also missing the trim from both rear doors which I'd like to find in order to complete the car...

0795omega

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 11:58:55 AM »
looks good that,estates getting rare now! dont know if saloons door rear trims are the same? but a few breaking on e-bay at the mo,good luck with it good cars.

FOAD

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 12:02:43 PM »
The Current Fleet...

DSC_0407 by srblythe, on Flickr

DSC_0245 by srblythe, on Flickr

DSC_0271 by srblythe, on Flickr

Some offroading!

DSC_0257 by srblythe, on Flickr

DSC_0258 by srblythe, on Flickr

DSC_0242 by srblythe, on Flickr

Also found this by the side of the road and managed to get a rear light as mine was broken...

DSC_0159 by srblythe, on Flickr

Whippit

• Kirkcaldy, Fife
  • Global Moderator
  • Wanted: Life
  • Ut olim ingenii necnon virtutis
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 06:42:43 PM »
Hiya neeb, there's a 2.0 CD saloon in nobles, I sent it there last week but heater switch was shot.

FOAD

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 08:09:41 PM »
Do Nobles let you buy bits? Thought most of the scrappies up in that industrial estate weren't licensed distmantlers any more.

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 09:35:53 PM »
itll most likely be the resistor pack on the motor there is a how to on here somewhere!!
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

carlton_mad

• Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 09:50:47 PM »
You can remove the resistor pack without removing any of the above.

Ive done it as described before but when mine gave up last week and it was freezing outside I did it like this -

Pull off the rubber strip that keeps the flimsy plactic cowl down and seals against the bonnet.
Lift up the front of the cowl and work through the gap.
Pull off the wires, plug and 2 wires to fan.
Push resistor pack upwards to unclip the top then down to unclip the bottom then ease it out, its fiddly but comes out.
Repair or replace and reverse the above.

Its tight but it took maybe 10 minutes on a freezing evening when to do it the long way would have had my fingers useless with cold.

what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

FOAD

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 02:40:49 PM »
My first thought when I got the car was the resistor so I removed it and tried sourcing a replacement, my local motorfactors and vauxhall dealer couldn't source one and the one I bought from ebay which was listed for a Carlton wasn't right.
Where's the best place to get another?

EDIT

Found the guide on how to fix the resistor, pity there's no photos but I'm sure I'll manage...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 02:51:10 PM by FOAD »

FOAD

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 04:00:32 PM »
As there's no working pics can someone tell which part I need to cut?

DSC_0588 by srblythe, on Flickr

Is it the gold and pink bit at the side of the green bit or is it the blue bit on the other side?

DSC_0589 by srblythe, on Flickr

carlton_mad

• Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 10:22:42 PM »
pink and gold chap cut it off and link it out and all should be good!!

Tetleysmooth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 02:09:49 AM »
Hello Scott.
Glad you made it over.
Nils desparandum illegitimi carborundum.

overdrive

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 07:48:00 AM »
Is it ok to just recycle another hello thread if its the same car? It will save a bit of writing!

So I've finally made it to here and as said, I took "Throbbing Purple" from FOAD. I've been chipping away at it now for a few weeks, and so far have managed a full service (in timing belt and water pump), new balljoints, some other bits of mung, a Carlton GSi3000 steering wheel swap (doesnt disintegrate in my hand like the old one did).

One thing I have not got to the bottom of is this resistor pack, which I was hoping for some help with. The original above is now MIA, and I'm planning to chop up the old multiplug and mate it to the usual eBay spec resistor pack as below:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-OPEL-ASTRA-F-MK3-CALIBRA-CARLTON-HEATER-MOTOR-BLOWER-RESISTOR-4758272-/230710109137?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35b764e3d1

Now, where it all gets a bit squirrely is deciphering what goes where, as there has never been a connected unit for reference in my time with the car. As such, does anyone have one that uses this type of resistor that wouldn't mind taking a pic or several of how it is wired to the loom? Or is there a diagram that shows what wire colour connects to the plug on the ebay link?

Help me Obi Wan! ;D

carlton_mad

• Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 06:44:45 PM »
i have some resistor packs here which will save hacking the loom about also check the motor is free turning just in case this is the issue!! i have non aircon switches in stock too

overdrive

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 09:41:02 AM »
i have some resistor packs here which will save hacking the loom about also check the motor is free turning just in case this is the issue!! i have non aircon switches in stock too

You are my hero! I have the resistor bypassed and the motor works on full power. Obviously this is temporary, so if you can supply one just PM me for paypal details!!

melinx

• WHO created me in his own image ?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 11:21:15 AM »
It would be a good idea to put a few drops of 3 in one oil on the motor bearings; after 20 years they have probably dried out and that may be the root cause of the original 'burnout'.

overdrive

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 03:04:47 PM »
It would be a good idea to put a few drops of 3 in one oil on the motor bearings; after 20 years they have probably dried out and that may be the root cause of the original 'burnout'.

Way ahead of you. Took the full motor out the other weekend, stripped the contacts and rebuilt it with some oil...

;D

24Vdiamond

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 05:33:48 PM »
think its been covered somewhere on here before but other problems can be the speed selector switch tracks burning out and also the fuse position in the fuse box which over heats and burns out due to overloading when the motor gets old
280,000 miles of 24V fun and slowly dissolving!!

overdrive

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 08:04:20 AM »
think its been covered somewhere on here before but other problems can be the speed selector switch tracks burning out and also the fuse position in the fuse box which over heats and burns out due to overloading when the motor gets old

Think the selector is ok as I'm getting voltage out to the multiplug on each setting. Thanks for the tip though.

overdrive

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 08:38:08 AM »

Hey dude, resistor pack has arrived, many thanks for the help!

Going to pull the motor out again and give it another clean up and oil before fitting it all back together, so I'll update once its in and let you know how it goes.

Cheers again!

carlton_mad

• Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 02:58:33 PM »
no probs!

overdrive

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2014, 08:25:29 PM »
no probs!

Finally got to fit this today. Works a treat, thanks again dude!

carlton_mad

• Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2014, 10:07:37 PM »
cool glad to have been of service!