Author Topic: MOT today  (Read 1911 times)

Dave the Builder

• Wanted: Life
  • Swadlincote,Derbyshire
MOT today
« on: March 11, 2014, 10:22:14 PM »
 and it failed  :(

just spend a couple of days giving it some tlc
new prop donuts (long over due  ;D)
new front pads/discs ,stripped and cleaned and lobed
new rear pads and discs ,stripped and cleaned and lobed
rear antiroll link bushes,
reverted back to standard springs (sick of scraping my zorst on poxy speed humps)
I carry lots of tools / materials and when loaded my carlton is low enough without the -40 (though now fully loaded ,i appear to be sitting 80mm higher  :o)
another tin of underseal,2 cans of black gloss and shed loads of grease.
full service etc,gear oil but forgot the diff when it was down for the springs  ::)
various other jobs done

so it failed on
002 parking brake lever has no reserve travel

I have my hand brake set at 3 clicks  ::)
the was not binding ,worked great  :(

front/rear brakes 350/220 so all good there

so i will have to slacken off the cable
retest tomorrow
re adjust the cable back to how I want it  ;D
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • dartford kent
Re: MOT today
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 10:39:09 PM »
your tester is a div if the handbrake lever cannot by way of hitting the centre consol travel any further then it has no reserve travel if it comes up 3 clicks and locks but does not hit the consol it obviously still has reserve travel

rant over!!
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 10:48:56 PM »
tester is a nice bloke ,think it's the chap who was operating the controls that p155ed on my fireworks .
I did not see a problem with it, that's how i have it on everything 3 to 4 clicks
i think TIS says 7 clicks (me and Mel discussed it before)
not to worry , take me longer to put the ramps under than it will to adjust the compensator (the shoes are spot on ,having just been done)

no advisorys though , so that's good
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

melinx

• WHO created me in his own image ?
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 11:21:23 AM »
and it failed  :(

so it failed on
002 parking brake lever has no reserve travel

I have my hand brake set at 3 clicks  ::)
the was not binding ,worked great  :(

No reserve travel ???

I find that comment baffling !! most cars have the handbrake travel at about 3/4 clicks !

What does he base that judgement on? has he an intimate knowledge of the TIS instructions for hand brake adjustment ? I reckon that's is highly unlikely, if he has, he should have said 'Insufficient travel'.

I have mine adjusted to the TIS instructions of 7 clicks and I don't like it :( I only readjusted it to 7 when I found that 3/4 clicks caused a slight squeak from the brakes on occasion

stemo

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 11:26:03 AM »
That's poor form - at least it's a simple fix to get it through though then you can have it back to how you want!  :)

melinx

• WHO created me in his own image ?
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 11:28:46 AM »
There is the possibility of course that they were trying to screw a few extra quid by being asked to adjust them >:(

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 07:28:00 PM »
There is the possibility of course that they were trying to screw a few extra quid by being asked to adjust them >:(
no re-test fee  :)
all sorted now ,
 MOTed for another year and polished
but sitting a bit high  :o on 15" 195/65/15
(there's the equivalent of a couple of fat people in the boot)
wondering if the standard springs where 24v items  :-\
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 07:40:29 PM by Dave the Builder »

stemo

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 10:35:05 PM »
If your nose is bleeding then that's stock height.

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 11:50:46 AM »
It's ok
I got a big step ladder to get me IN and OUT the drivers door  :)
more ballast needed me thinks  :P

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 09:37:00 PM »
Another years MOT today ,no advisorys
Had to adjust the headlamp beam alignment on one side (which took me 20 seconds tops) at the MOT bay.
but ,
prior to taking me carlton for mot , I did spend a day greasing brake lines,stripped and cleaned brakes, another 1 ltr of underseal,checked it all over.
prop shaft center bearing is a little noisey (156k on the clock) so a job for the summer  :P

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 09:42:02 PM »
nice one Dave well done on the pass!!
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

Einarrson

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 02:41:04 PM »
Nice one on the Pass Dave.

They do say some strange stuff about handbrakes. A tester once told me that the brake was OK when he or I pulled it up it but what if a little old lady had to put the handbrake on?

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 06:30:31 PM »
but what if a little old lady had to put the handbrake on?

No little old lady is driving mine  :o

little old ladys get a free bus pass  ;)

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 06:54:58 PM »

Another years MOT today ,no advisory's  :)

Before MOT Test, I did spend alot of time greasing brake lines,stripped and cleaned brakes, another load of underseal n grease,
checked it all over.
new wishbone,tie bar,diff oil replaced ,engine service, etc to make sure everything was ok before MOT  ,
i don't like MOT fails  ;)

Sutty2006

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 03:40:07 PM »
Excellent news. We all like a good MOT pass!

djbthatsme

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2018, 07:47:06 PM »
Well done Dave, I wouldn't expect anything less from you.
I'm always on tenterhooks before the MOTs' done.
Last year my Carlton got through without any issues but then the garage had it for most of the time.
Hopefully it won't be any different this year - getting through I mean.