Author Topic: Carlton Respray  (Read 12188 times)

djbthatsme

Carlton Respray
« on: December 12, 2013, 07:25:43 PM »
Been meaning to have the carlton saloon resprayed in the same colour and was wondering how much it would cost. I have two options:
1. prep and respray top half ie. bonnet, roof down to and including boot or:

2. Prep and complete outer body respray.

Any ideas of how much this would cost?

yellowjellyfish

Re: Carlton Respray
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 08:00:33 PM »
My regular bodyshop would charge around £1k for half shell respray, that is back to primer. The remaining unsprayed panels would be mopped to a matching finish. The paint would be swabbed to ensure a match.
A complete shell blowover would be between £1300 - £1500.
A complete primer respray would cost £2k - £2.5k
All these quotes would involve you stripping any exterior and interior furnishings yourself
L-ots  O-f  T-rouble  U-sually  S-erious
But who cares........

copper

• fan of old rock music 80s
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 09:19:50 PM »
i had all 4 doors rear wings rear bumper and top of boot done 4 2 hundred quid plus 2 hundred 4 paint n things ,nice bloke over the road .

damoh

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 09:43:06 AM »
Priced up my carlton was 1200€ from roof down roof cut and buffed match paint all may myres paint so good quality stuff,included bumpers skirts painted off car

djbthatsme

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 07:21:00 PM »
Thanks for your replies guys.

Well Yellowjellyfish I don't think I'll be rushing down to where ever you live to have the car painted. Looking at the other two replies confirms that the job can be done quite a bit cheaper but it does give me an idea of what paintshops are charging.

Damoh your paintjob looked a better option and seemed similar to the work needed on my car. What were the conditions was the car painted in? Was it in a proper paint shop and dried in an oven or was it in a garage? It would also be good to know how long ago it was done and what the car looks like now.

Copper it looks like you had the best deal unless you've had to do something else as well like walk his dog, paint and decorate his house, rewire his house, dig his garden, stand in his front garden wearing a father xmas outfit until boxing day or something else as well. My bones are old and creaking so I wouldn't be up to this. 

I expect some of the questions would be how long ago was the car painted and are you still happy with it now. Which part of the uk does he live in and does he take on paint jobs on a regular basis.

Thanks once again for your replies what would be helpful would be to please let me know what part of UK these prices are appropriate to. Cheers.

yellowjellyfish

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 08:06:24 PM »
Lol. You get what you pay for in the paint shop these days. Cars come out of this particular shop looking like glass. Many concourse winners produced.

John
L-ots  O-f  T-rouble  U-sually  S-erious
But who cares........

Dave the Builder

• Wanted: Life
  • Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 08:08:22 PM »
Get yourself a 9" paint roller and tray from wilkos
B&Q will have a sale on emulsion paint in january  ;)
2 hours work, (unless your going to wash the dirt off first)
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

djbthatsme

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 07:07:20 PM »
I hope your cars look better than roller fed painting Dave and I won't be coming to you for a paint job, at least not yet.

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 01:01:55 AM »
ARTEX swirly patterns are extra  ;D
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

melinx

• WHO created me in his own image ?
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 11:48:41 AM »
Stipple finish is quite attractive; mixed with cat repellent it prevents muddy footprints on the roof and bonnet ;)

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 03:54:28 PM »
Or for a real air of luxury
clicky

melinx

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 04:45:54 PM »
Getting to be an increasing problem for anything for the Carlton; it's out of stock ::) :(

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 05:08:55 PM »
there's only 10 of these left carlton seat
buy now to avoid disappointment  ;)

copper

• fan of old rock music 80s
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 05:49:04 PM »
in this weather i wont b standing outside in anyones garden dressed in a suit unless they are paying 4 heated waterproof suit and pockets full of dosh. my car was painted in norfolk end of last year in a heated garage and looks a lot better now than it did when i bought it ,it aint what u no its who u no .

melinx

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 06:21:57 PM »
there's only 10 of these left carlton seat
buy now to avoid disappointment  ;)

I don't drive in a manner which requires one of these fitted in the Carlton Dave; I suggest that you reassess your driving style ;) ;D

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 06:33:20 PM »
It's common knowledge
I have NO STYLE , driving or otherwise  :P

Are you saying i should use public toilets  :o
like the peasants do ?

U.D. - Omega DTM Rep

• Want parts? TOUGH!!! Buy something else....
  • I'm just a six cylinder & Irmscher JUNKIE!!!
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 08:18:52 PM »
like the peasants do ?

No-no, We've all got Carlton's for that purpose Dave...... :D
Nissan took a 600bhp NISMO Racecar and de-tuned this flagship Coupé for everyday use on public roads. GM took a reliable Carlton GSi 3000 24v and had Lotus convert it into a 377bhp Bahnstorming Lotus Carlton. Both vehicles were on sale from 1989....Which manufacturer would you trust with your cash??

melinx

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 08:20:55 PM »
like the peasants do ?

It'll be OK to use them Dave, I'll keep an eye open to make sure it isn't you when I'm on a sporting outing ;D

http://totalcarlton.com/forums/index.php/topic,13860.msg115779.html#msg115779

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 08:35:02 PM »
Bit late for christmas, pheasants need hanging for a couple of weeks to mature  ;)

The peasants that use public toilets, well....

hanging's too good for em !  :o

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 08:39:20 PM »
like the peasants do ?

No-no, We've all got Carlton's for that purpose Dave...... :D

I've "touched cloth" a few times in a couple of my carltons

never did like leather seats  :P

U.D. - Omega DTM Rep

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2013, 09:14:19 PM »
I've "touched cloth" a few times in a couple of my carltons

never did like leather seats  :P

WAY to much info there Mr Builder!!!! :o ;) ;D ;D ;D
Nissan took a 600bhp NISMO Racecar and de-tuned this flagship Coupé for everyday use on public roads. GM took a reliable Carlton GSi 3000 24v and had Lotus convert it into a 377bhp Bahnstorming Lotus Carlton. Both vehicles were on sale from 1989....Which manufacturer would you trust with your cash??

djbthatsme

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2013, 08:48:54 PM »
I really wanted some info on respraying the car, the out of stock wallpaper I already have. ::) ::) Well the design on my car is different and needs updating. It looks as if the paint as been blown partly off the bonnet, the roof and the boot. There are other parts to do as well , like the cills again and the wheel arches. ??? ???

The roof lining looks like a blow back from Daves Carlton seat - need doing some time.

U.D. - Omega DTM Rep

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2013, 12:21:06 AM »
It looks as if the paint as been blown partly off the bonnet, the roof and the boot. There are other parts to do as well , like the cills again and the wheel arches. ??? ???

I'd have to agree with Mr YJF where it comes to costs involved, Doing an untouched whole car down to a bare shell to do a new good quality standard has got to be around £4k to £4.5k and that price would be without the Bodyshop doing any possible corrosion repairs that are needed as they sand off all the old layers of old paint.

This is why I know of Carlton's that have cost Owners £10k+ having all the bodywork issues put right! :-X

Einarrson

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 07:13:50 PM »
What about getting it wrapped? This looks great and is tougher than paint.

djbthatsme

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 06:20:15 PM »
What is this wrapped? will I need to tie it with string after the wrapping is finished.