Author Topic: Wanted - grundig 4870 removeable security faceplate with all the buttons.  (Read 9543 times)

man of kent

• Wanted: Life
I'm beginning to get some regular use of the troublesome 4870 Grundig but some of the buttons are sticking in. has anybody got a scrap 4870 they can let me have the removeable front security plate?

Reading up on some common faults on other radios of this era, some people have replaced the contacts that stick under the buttons. Anybody done this and how?
OLD TECHNOLOGY WORKS!

melinx

• WHO created me in his own image ?
Re: Wanted - grundig 4870 removeable security faceplate with all the buttons.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 10:59:30 AM »
The bad news is that you obviously have ruptured nipples :o

I take it that the cooler weather has allowed it to begin operating again ?
http://totalcarlton.com/forums/index.php/topic,15023.msg129298.html#msg129298

I have previously replaced the old torn nipples with new ones (no longer available) or swapped them with little used and consequently still working nipples.

To disassemble them, you need to start by removing the tiny Philips head screws on the rear: One of them is hidden under a small label to prevent tampering so you will obviously void the warranty  :P

You have to be confident enough to be reasonably happy working with such fiddly little electronic assemblies but the tiny conductive rubber nipples are easy to replace.

Alternatively, you can PM me your address and I will see if I can get a face off unit in the post to you tomorrow; at best, it can be dropped in and work perfectly (I think this is the one with the new nipples in it) at worst, you can use it as a source of replacement nipples.

Maybe the original problem lies in the face off unit and replacement cures your problems; if it doesn't, as indicated in my previous post, you are doomed :'(
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 03:53:36 PM by melinx »

man of kent

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 04:14:54 PM »
pm sent
OLD TECHNOLOGY WORKS!

man of kent

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 04:26:15 PM »
As you said the nipples are u/s. I've taken some pics to follow when I have downloaded them. The nipples have a small protrusion that push onto 'gold?' contacts on the face plate and they stick and break off. I'm surprised they were even available and being a known problem they must have been available. There is also a very tiny round spring that sits under them.

I've succeeded in getting 2 to work (click in and out) and the am button which was also stuck but I'm doubtful anything will work now.

Its certainly tiny bits to work with and not for anybody with an unsteady hand. If you saw my speedo gear strip down which was small bits, these are tiny!

The 4870 Grundig is certainly troublesome when it gets old. I have had it working perfectly over the last 18 months, sometimes. I think it needs using continually but as I haven't used the car much it plays up.

Dont throw your old 4870's away like I did a while back with a working faceplate. Bloody stupid of me! I'll have any unwanted u/s ones.
OLD TECHNOLOGY WORKS!

melinx

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 05:58:19 PM »
I've just foam wrapped it and it's in a jiffy bag awaiting posting !

I don't want anything for it, it's doing no one any good stuck in the cupboard and I have no idea at the moment what the postage cost will be.

I'm not sure where the coding resides but if I remember correctly, my 4870 was uncoded (it's been a few years though  :-\)

As I have said in a previous post, once they start playing up they are best replaced with a modern head unit that has a USB connection on the front panel.

Doing that enables you to get rid of the CD unit also because a 4Gb flash drive (5 from Maplin) will store about 40 CD's of music and you have removed a lot of potentially troublesome 'gubbins' and gained useful boot space.

0795omega

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 09:03:51 PM »
fitted a later 4871 in mine bargain off e-bay 25.00 buy now genuine new old stok,only thing cds dont play through speakers for some reason,even though its controlling the changer!

melinx

man of kent

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 06:50:40 AM »
Thanks Mel. I'll let you know how it goes with your faceplate.

I want to keep the 10 stack to keep the car original it being low mileage. Alastair had a new CD fitted which I can always go back to. With the help of Murph/Chris I was able to get a working 4870, or it was!

Too keep the few working its important people dont throw the old ones away, like I did! Lesson learnt.

Pics to follow of the faceplate stripped own and the broken nipples.
OLD TECHNOLOGY WORKS!

melinx

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 11:48:05 AM »
It's in the post ! with any luck it should be with you tomorrow.

I fitted it in with a trip to get the MoT done (it sailed through  :) )

Don't bother about the post cost, it wouldn't be worth the aggro of refunding it ! take it as a minor Xmas pressy ;)

(I must have gone mad !! I'm reckoned to be a tight old git :o)

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 08:44:38 PM »
Congrats on the mot Mel  :)
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

melinx

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 10:26:40 PM »
Thanks Dave :) I must admit that it's a relief; I haven't been able to do any work on it for several months ::)

man of kent

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 03:31:33 PM »
Thanks for the faceplate Mel. Everything is working fine. It would appear that you just need one push button pressed in and stuck and all sorts of spurious messages come up. The ign off and ign on messages have gone. I had surface come up again when selecting the CD's but after a couple of tries it disappeared. The surface comment comes up when not used regularly and a thump when going over a bump on the road starts it again. This is to do with the balance inside the 10 stack and I haven't found a solution. I think you get similar problems with any scanning disc when older. My small hand held DVD player has a similar problem scanning sometimes and a thump restarts it.

I have shown some pics of the back of the faceplate with comments below.

The first picture shows the back of the 8 push button nipples. Reading from the top left clockwise, no 3 nipple has dropped out. No 7 nipple has the centre broken off. This has got stuck to the contact and broken off. the problem seems to solely that the nipple sticks to the contact and the spring washer will not return it. Finally the end pulls off.

the second pic shows the back taken off. You unscrew 6 screws and the one nearest the nipples. Where no.3 nipple has fallen out you can see a small washer that i think is actually a return spring for the nipple. You can also see the no.3 nipple broken off piece which was stuck to the contact and i pulled off.

OLD TECHNOLOGY WORKS!

melinx

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 04:10:20 PM »
I'm happy that everything is OK now :)

You will of course be hanging on to the old one ! it's worth it if only for the bulbs which illuminate the display; they are 3 under-run 6 volt bulbs wired in series and if one goes they all go out.

Have you done the mod. I suggest in the thread below? I reckon that the omitted connection is an assembly fault on all of the 4870 series because it was the same with the 4871 head unit !

http://totalcarlton.com/forums/index.php/topic,1510.msg91368.html#msg91368
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 10:34:24 PM by melinx »

man of kent

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 08:54:09 PM »
Didn't know about this FM aerial missing wire. As I'm way out in the fens FM reception is pretty poor anyway. I play the CD's mostly. I'll take a look and see if the mod has been done.
Thanks again for the help. Its quite a battle keeing the 4870 going.
OLD TECHNOLOGY WORKS!

melinx

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 10:28:03 PM »
Just a thought regarding the problem with the CD player when going over bumps : -

The inner mechanism is spring mounted, the springs are behind two removable side plates and have two possible positions to cope with being mounted either horizontally under the rear shelf or vertically in an estate.

Could cause problems if the CD system is not properly adjusted for its mounting position.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 10:32:32 PM by melinx »

man of kent

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 09:27:39 AM »
I played around with this as Murph mentioned the 2 ways the stack can be mounted. I think its more a case of a misalignment with the 'magic eye' and as i said I have had this problem with portable DVD players.
OLD TECHNOLOGY WORKS!

melinx

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 09:44:42 AM »
Might also be a problem with a film of contamination on the laser optical system weakening the intensity of the laser beam :-\

PeterC

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 01:36:57 PM »
I have been pulling apart a Nokia 6300 mobile phone recently t repair and the plastic nipples in that might be a suitable replacement for the rubber ones. I remember swapping around on my dud face off to make it work (its now a spare face off). There must be some older equipment that used the same principle with hopefully similar rubber nipples. I have been keeping an eye out - where is that 15 year old Nokia brick phone I wonder.

The thing I like about my 4870 is it automatically raises the volume when the car goes faster. But the compensation would be the USB stick if I had to.

Re FM reception. Should be fine in the fens as its flat country. BUT I just wonder how far away the transmitter is though. Some stations might be better than local stations. Bit of a brain storm / guess.
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.

man of kent

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 08:02:55 AM »
Grundig probably used the nipples on other models but it needs a radio expert to know that............
OLD TECHNOLOGY WORKS!

PeterC

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 12:27:57 PM »
I hope other makes did. Perhaps go by the feel of the buttons. They have more travel than a modern phone. So a bit softer perhaps. I just wonder if the plastic ones might work.

If I remember correctly it just a case of the cone being distrorted enough to short between the inner contact and the circular one surrounding it when the rubber is pushed onto it so must have had a conductive surface. The picture is not yet making my brain work.

The phone ones are definitely a springy plastic segment of a sphere that is chrome plated on the inside. The button pushes the, otherwise raised, plastic dome flat against the two concentric contacts.

I remember the old Nokias had softer feel buttons so might be similar rubber cones.

MOK your comment regarding deterioration reminds me not to keep the face-off in the glove compartment even if its not really attractive to thieves after twenty years.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 12:32:02 PM by PeterC »
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.

melinx

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 02:34:02 PM »
Re FM reception. Should be fine in the fens as its flat country. BUT I just wonder how far away the transmitter is though. Some stations might be better than local stations. Bit of a brain storm / guess.

If the FM reception seems even slightly "iffy" then a tenfold increase in the sensitivity as suggested in the "missing connection" thread below can only give a radical improvement ;)

http://totalcarlton.com/forums/index.php/topic,1510.msg91368.html#msg91368

nightmare

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 10:17:38 PM »
Hi M.O.K.

The Grundig 2841VD face off radio cassette also uses the same nipples in the face.

HTH
Easy going untill PUSHED!!!!

carltonman

• Aberdeen, UK
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 10:23:56 PM »
Hi M.O.K.

The Grundig 2841VD face off radio cassette also uses the same nipples in the face.

HTH

Hi Nightmare, it is with regret the Man ok Kent passed away earlier in the month. There is a thread existing letting members know.

nightmare

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 01:10:36 AM »
Thanks I've now found it.
Easy going untill PUSHED!!!!

PeterC

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2014, 12:28:14 PM »
Hi M.O.K.

HTH

This is useful info for the rest of us, sadly Keith no longer worries about this (RIP).