Author Topic: Grundig 4870 different fault IGN ON & IGN OFF  (Read 2437 times)

man of kent

• Wanted: Life
Grundig 4870 different fault IGN ON & IGN OFF
« on: August 01, 2013, 06:54:17 PM »
Haven't turned the Grundig on for a while and now a problem.

Reads IGN ON & IGN OFF sequencially when I turn on and off, and then it is stuck on a radio station, the same one every time.

Took the whole unit out, put it back in and a tape started palying but I cannot eject it or do anything else. IGN ON & IGN OFF still shows.

Anybody had this IGN ON & OFF on their unit? Turning the ignition on and off doesn't change anything.
OLD TECHNOLOGY WORKS!

melinx

• WHO created me in his own image ?
Re: Grundig 4870 different fault IGN ON & IGN OFF
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 07:32:13 PM »
You could try this : -

According to the audio manual, the on off logic via the ignition can be disabled so that the radio can only be switched on and of by button/volume control.

"To turn the logic off, switch on the ignition, switch off the radio, press and hold station preset 6 and switch the radio on.

Keep the preset pressed until the radio plays.

Repeating the procedure turns the logic back on."

No guarantee it will work, once the 4870 starts throwing 'wabblers', I have found to my cost that its almost unrepairable :'(

Alternatively, wait until the weather cools down and see if that returns it to normal operation :-\
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 08:14:40 AM by melinx »

alastair

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 06:40:46 AM »
Time to put the 'original' one back in Keith!!
1991 GSI 24v man
1993 Senator 24v CD Auto (for sale)
1991 Lotus Carlton (WIP)

PeterC

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 12:00:44 PM »

According to the audio manual, the on off logic via the ignition can be disabled so that the radio can only be switched on and of by button/volume control.

"To turn the logic off, switch on the ignition, switch off the radio, press and hold station preset 6 and switch the radio on.

No guarantee it will work, once the 4870 starts throwing 'wabblers', I have found to my cost that its almost unrepairable :'(

Alternatively, wait until the weather cools down and see if that returns it to normal operation :-\
Oh so if button 6 is jammed on (or one is clumsy) you might find yourself inadvertantly (and unavoidably) going through the above.

Keith, if I am thinking of the right radio, what happens if you turn the ignition on but without the faceoff on ?.
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.

man of kent

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 07:05:28 PM »

Tried that but it will not acknowledge any of the buttons pressed.

OLD TECHNOLOGY WORKS!