Author Topic: My Diplomat Saloon  (Read 2561 times)

surrey_diplomat

My Diplomat Saloon
« on: June 30, 2013, 09:45:51 PM »
I thought I'd post some pics of my Diplomat as it's still hanging in there!

Unfortunately I'm not mechanically minded so some areas have gone a bit to pot, but it's always utterly reliable and still gets a good mpg. I'm sure the engine and gear box will be running long after the bodywork has rusted away to dust (which probably won't be too long...)

Passed last 6 MOT's first time apart from the last one (anti roll bar links 60)

The cruise control doesn't work, neither does the drivers window or the drivers heated seat. The air conditioning still does work but there is so little gas left in it - it's still r12 which is now unobtainable. I think I need to get it converted first, but not sure if the cost would be worthwhile.

All but 3 of the rubber membranes for the stereo buttons had perished. I swapped them around to get next CD, next track and previous track working so you can at least listen to something!

Spectral Blue, some recent larger stone chips on bonnet.

Rust in the usual places, trim needs gaffer tape assistance.

psl

Re: My Diplomat Saloon
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 09:48:07 PM »
Always good to see another Carlton still going  ;)

melinx

• Wanted: Life
  • WHO created me in his own image ?
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 10:38:50 PM »
The air conditioning still does work but there is so little gas left in it - it's still r12 which is now unobtainable. I think I need to get it converted first, but not sure if the cost would be worthwhile.

If you decide to get it done before the coming heatwave :D

http://totalcarlton.com/forums/index.php/topic,14828.msg127635.html#msg127635

eco4 ian

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 02:17:12 PM »
Looking great i really like that colour, how many miles are on the clock they seem to go forever. 

copper

• fan of old rock music 80s
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 09:17:06 PM »
your diplomat looks like mine same colour as well is it an auto or manual ,mines done just over 100,000 mls still rocking had problem with autobox but i think i have cured it will find out soon as i am hoping to put it back on road in couple of weeks spent 400 quid on havin bits painted and dents knocked out but looks good now well worth it .

surrey_diplomat

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 08:03:31 PM »
It's done 139000 miles and the autobox is still very smooth, engine is good too.  Never had a problem with either!

chrismec

• Wanted: Life
  • Poole Dorset
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 06:46:37 PM »
Great colour, arches can be repaired ;)
What engine is it?

surrey_diplomat

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 05:21:59 PM »
Only a 2 litre, but still quieter and smoother than an Omega 2.2 I had a few years ago.
Rust may have spread beyond arches underneath - MOT at end of October (been warned the last couple of times).
Took it somewhere a couple of years ago but they never came back to me on cost. Air-con guy recently never came back to me either!