Author Topic: 1981 Vauxhall Viceroy  (Read 6348 times)

WillCarter

1981 Vauxhall Viceroy
« on: April 11, 2013, 04:31:42 PM »
Introducing my new motor, my 1981 Vauxhall Viceroy. As some of you know I was on the hunt for a big Vauxhall when my Eunos Roadster sold. This had come up and been sold before the Roadster could sell, I was gutted, I knew that being one of roughly seven left in the world I was unlikely to find another one so started looking down more conventional routes. A few offers came in for Carltons but nothing was really floating my boat, it had to be something older. As luck would have it the new owner of the Viceroy was a friend of mine, an exploratory message led me to finding out that he'd bought the car on a whim and didn't really have the space or inclination for it. An offer was made and a deal was struck to pick up the car the next week, a week later and I was heading back up the M1, happy in my vinyl and velour splendour feeling like I had picked up the bargain of the century.

Courtesy: Dave Bools

Mitch1965

Re: 1981 Vauxhall Viceroy
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 05:55:24 PM »
That's very nice motor you have bought. whats your plans for this?

WillCarter

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 06:47:23 PM »
Nothing too drastic, getting the bodywork looking a bit better is the immediate plan while a drop and some wheels are also on the cards. Beyond that it's staying as Vauxhall intended.

Catho

• The faith has finally been restored!!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 07:19:40 PM »
Beautiful. Bags of character and a nice find.  ;)
After 10 years........she's back on the road!!!

Dave the Builder

• Wanted: Life
  • Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 07:35:29 PM »
Very nice find  :)
what's the story with the studs on the front bumper rubbing strips ? not factory surely  :-\
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

WillCarter

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 09:22:25 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I agree, packed full of character. As for the 'studs' they are one of the things I'd eventually like to get sorted. I would imagine that the trim was coming loose at some point and as is often the way on older cars a bodge of screwing it back on seemed like a better choice than a real fix.

Pedro

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 03:40:39 PM »
Das ist schönes!  8) 8) 8)

psl

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 07:17:24 PM »
Love it, super retro brownie points. I doff my cap in your direction  ;)

greasehog

• Luton Bedfordshire
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 09:10:55 PM »
Wow! What a great car and in really good condition!
Is there really that few left?
Diane...

WillCarter

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 10:20:34 PM »
Thanks everyone :D apparently so, I knew there was probably less than twenty, I didn't realise it was quite into single figures though. Of all the cars built with this shell (it shares a shell with the Opel and Holden Commodore) the Viceroy is by far the most scarce.

WillCarter

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 10:52:17 PM »
Well, this weekend saw the Viceroy head out for its first public outing to a small classic meet at the South Yorkshire Transport in Rotherham. Although being far from the best condition car in attendance the old girl still attracted some attention which was nice to see, did highlight the fact there's plenty of work to do to get it looking its best though.

After the meet I went on a little drive around the Yorkshire countryside ending up in the town of Holmfirth. For those who don't know, Holmfirth is the home of Last of the Summer Wine and in turn has become something of a local tourist attraction. Well, I'm happy to admit that I'm a lifelong fan of Summer Wine so moving nearby is quite cool for me and has become a semi-regular haunt. Well it is now also the location of possibly the coolest thing that's happened to me since taking ownership of the car. As I was driving through I had to pause for traffic just outside where the famous Sid's (Ivy's) Cafe is located and out of the corner my eye I caught a total stranger taking a photo of the car. Not really that much of big deal, until you take in to consideration that I grew up watching seventies British sitcoms and dreaming of owning a classic car, so for the two to come together like that really was a bit of a moment. I hope that for whoever it was that took that photo the final result looked like something that could have easily jumped out of an episode and was a cool thing for them too.

Fast forward to today and despite being locked in the house all day thanks to my Girlfriend repeating her trick of taking my keys to work with her I managed to catch the last few minutes of the sun this evening and make a start on restoring the paintwork. The products I'm using are above, however, I would make a terrible advertisement photographer so I'll list them anyway. After asking on Facebook what to use I was advised by VIP to avoid T-Cut and invest in a decent compound product instead. In the end I went for Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, not that cheap but it comes with a good reputation and on the first signs it appears that it's reputation is well deserved. The compound is being used to bring the car back from the terracotta colour it's become and more like the vibrant red it should be as well as rid it if the cloudy oxidation it's acquired over the years. Along with the Compound, I'm also using Auto Glym's Super Resin Polish to bring some shine back, I'm sure you're all familiar with Auto Glym so that choice should be an obvious one. Now, I'm not usually one for polishing and detailing and if the car had a cool patina, it would be staying that way, but I must admit that I'm really happy with the early results so far. This shot should show you that even with the few minutes work I put in today, there's already been a dramatic improvement and it would appear that the paint work is definitely salvageable.

A long way to go yet and even the bits that have been done are going to need another few goings over so I will update again once the car is looking a little bit better all over.

nightmare

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 10:40:33 AM »
Nice
Easy going untill PUSHED!!!!

Murph

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 05:21:41 PM »
Good going.
This one's going to be looking mighty fine!

kevinfourlegs

• The only TC member with four legs and a Renault Scenic
  • Spreading the TC gospel in south Wales and beyond
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 09:59:52 AM »
That gets my vote 8) 8) 8) Shame there's so few left :(
Everyone knows that rwd is the proper way. Some refuse to admit it.

Now drives a Renault Scenic dCi Dynamique Tom Tom

WillCarter

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 11:31:14 AM »
Believe it or not, there's an absolute minter on eBay right now. I would imagine it's probably going to fetch a hell of a lot more than I paid for this, but then again it's probably the best one in the country, so you get what you pay for.

chrismec

• Poole Dorset
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 06:27:52 PM »
Me likey very much :) :)

GSE James

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 03:50:03 PM »
That's a beauty.
How many miles has it done? The interior seems to have worn very well (i.e not at all)

Valv1866

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 09:19:41 PM »
Great to see such a rare retro vehicle, great period details like the Phillips Turnolock and acres of "wood" and draylon! Are those 80's graduated stripes standard or an aftermarket accessory?

WillCarter

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 02:01:49 PM »
That's a beauty.
How many miles has it done? The interior seems to have worn very well (i.e not at all)

About 43k from new, so not the many really. The interior is pretty immaculate, the only thing letting it down is the pocket on the drivers door which is cracked beyond repair unfortunately. I need to discover if they shared those with the Carlton if not I think it'll be removed altogether as it lets down the rest of it really.

Great to see such a rare retro vehicle, great period details like the Phillips Turnolock and acres of "wood" and draylon! Are those 80's graduated stripes standard or an aftermarket accessory?

From pictures of others they all seem to have them, so I'm going to say that they came out of the showroom like that. I like them though, very 'of the period' and suit it well I think.

Valv1866

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 12:27:07 PM »

From pictures of others they all seem to have them, so I'm going to say that they came out of the showroom like that. I like them though, very 'of the period' and suit it well I think.
[/quote]

They do and that's a really nice registration number too.

WillCarter

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 12:24:11 PM »
Haha I suppose it is, I'm looking at getting some period plates eventually too with the raised letters etc so that should make it stand out even more.