Author Topic: Boot water leak  (Read 3064 times)

djbthatsme

Boot water leak
« on: March 03, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »
Hello all,  ;D

Just wondering if any one else has experienced water leaking into the car boot. Its seems like I may have stopped one leak and found another - oh joy!!! ::) ::)
When it rains, as you know this is not very often in Uk, water leaks into the boot which upon inspection seems to enter at the top right hand corner - when looking at the boot from behind.  Placing my hand in the boot at this point rust can be felt. I can't see where the water is leaking in and was wondering if it is coming through the seam. 

Comments welcome - thanks guys.

Mezzy

• 1990 GSI 24v
  • Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Re: Boot water leak
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 02:03:01 AM »
GSI had same problem. Turned out to be rear sceen. Two ways to cure. 1. is leak fix or 2. have window took out and reseated. The latter lets you check bodywork while out.

Pedro

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 10:26:12 PM »
Mine was behind the little plastic trim between the rear wing and the C pillar.
Hole for a clip had rusted.  ;)

djbthatsme

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 07:22:09 PM »
Thanks for your replies Mezzy and Pedro,
Need to further investigate particularly with your comments in mind. I will post my findings in due course. 

Mezzy

• 1990 GSI 24v
  • Sheffield, South Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 07:44:19 PM »
Your welcome

Winky

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 10:41:39 PM »

This.

Get in the boot with a torch, shut the boot lid & get someone with a hose to pour water over this area.

Pedro

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 11:52:26 AM »

This.

Get in the boot with a torch, shut the boot lid & get someone with a hose to pour water over this area.

Wear an Aqualung.........

;D ;D ;D

Einarrson

• Wanted: Life
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 11:50:03 AM »
I seem to have a leak in a similar area. At the corner of the rear window it is a bit rusty but there is no hole. I have chipped of the rust and painted with hammerite, hope it doesn't get worse as the window might have to come out.

Another few possibilities I thought were: The 2 holes where the small rectangular bit of trim fits and the hole inside the fuel filler where the locking mechanism goes.

nightmare

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 03:11:07 PM »
I had a similar leak that turned out to be the O/S/R sunroof drain tube had become detached at the top. :o

It took a long time to figure it out because the water got evaporated and then condensed near the base of the rear screen, which confused the diagnosis somewhat.

Refitting it was fun  ::) and only took a day removing the trim, lowering the headlining, connecting the pipe then putting it All back together (without breaking anything).
Easy going untill PUSHED!!!!

Einarrson

• Wanted: Life
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 04:46:19 AM »
Hmm, It is in that area I will have a look. Fortunately with the dry weather not much is damp!  :o