Author Topic: My familys carlton history!  (Read 3113 times)

ash

• South Devon
My familys carlton history!
« on: July 13, 2012, 05:47:11 PM »
Well after a long time snooping around this site. I thought it only good and proper I introduced myself and my Dad.
 I am Ashley and my old man is ken. He has had Carltons ever since I was about 13 years old. I can honestly tell you that nothing made me more popular as a young lad than having my Dad come to pick me up from party's in a black Carlton Gsi with the rear wheels spinning! Unfortunately I could not find any pictures of it before it had the accident that killed it. However a brief history is as follows..
 Brought back in about 2001 it was a mint motor, and never gave my dad any problems. However one night the lock up where it was stored was broken into and it was serverly damaged. Written off by the insurance company my Dad brought it back and had it repaired. A few days after its return from the body shop, somebody drove into the back of it!  Again it was written off and brought back by my Dad. Again repaired it gave years happy motoring!
 However in 2005, whilst coming off a dual carriageway approaching a red traffic light, the drivers mat rolled up under the brake pedal. Fortunately he came to a stop, into the back of a Cavalier though! Which in turn went into the back of a Clio! Written off once more, it was brought back and laid up onto the drive whilst a decsion on its fate was made.

Whilst making his mind up another 12 valve Carlton was sourced and brought. It was hanging, but by god was it  quick! I remember borrowing it for a few weeks whilst my motor was off the road and nothing could keep with me! Apart from one night when a Lotus Carlton appeared next to me on a carriageway, the driver gave me a nod, and by the chance I could change down, I honestly believe he was doing 140+ into the distance!

So after lots of thinking he decided to replace the front end of the accident damaged Carlton with the silver ones. However after advice from body shops that idea was just not viable. With the silver Carlton running out of Mot, yet another Carlton was sourced. this time a 24 valve!

Which ment at one point our driveway looked like this!

Mother was not impressed! Especially with his Xr4i demanding lots of attention also..

Anyway, in the end the silver Carlton ended up going to a yob for a few hundred pound, and the black one went to somebody who needed the parts.
My Dad has spent thousands now on the red Carlton over the years. But still always had the hankering for another 12 valve. So when one came up on Ebay last week, it was bid on brought and collected in a matter of days!  
 So nowadays the driveway looks like this! (The red MG is mine and Ive heard them all before Rover in a tracksuit etc etc so please dont lol!)

I am sure you all seen the pictures of the 12 Valve Carlton on Ebay. But here is a few of how it stands on our driveway..

Every story has a twist though and this is this ones. Having traveled the 500 mile round trip to collect this Carlton, my Dad has decided he doesn't like it and wants me to re advertise it! To be honest I think he has got too used to wafting around in the luxury of the 24 valve, where i think the 12 valve is more brash and un refined. But thats what I love about it!
 So that is about it! He still owns the Xr4i. The 24 valve Carlton has just had a facelift interior put into it. And i suppose I will get around at some point to advertising the red 12 valve for him. Unless I can convince my misses to let me buy it! Any questions about anything Ive wrote please ask, I am always on this site, but never post as my mechanical knowledge goes as far as changing the oil! Hence why i drive an Mg  ;)!
 This is an awesome site btw! If my pictures dont work would the mods please fix it for me!
Take care!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 09:29:22 PM by ash »

Murph

• Administrator
  • Wanted: Life
Re: My familys carlton history!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 06:58:10 PM »
Pics are good - nice one fella!

Where are you based?

ash

• South Devon
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 07:12:04 PM »
South Devon, not far from Devon Gsi.. I will add that to my thing on the side!  :)

PeterC

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 08:30:18 PM »
Shame about the Cavalier but at least it wrote of a Clio.

Nice pair of Carltons there. Welcome to the site - you will get all sorts of good info/advice.
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.

Cosmo D

• 24 valves breathing pure heaven into the thing
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 11:29:03 PM »
Nice collection of cars there  ;D Welcome ;)
No Drift, No Fun ^^

ian

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 08:19:12 AM »
Was that the one owner jobby that appear on ebay recently?
be interesting to see how the value is effected now its not a one owner jobby(dont think it will tbh)
Classic Car Insurance www.Hagertyinsurance.co.uk    iarthur@hagerty.com
0844 824 1130

ash

• South Devon
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 10:54:12 AM »
If I re advertise it I dont think the fact that it now has another owner on the logbook will affect the value too much..

I do however think the fact that he has owned it a short time and is selling it back on again will!

I have no idea what the last owner was thinking when he put that advert on autotrader for a grand! We rang him when we seen that and said we will be up that evening to collect it for a grand! But he said he wanted to sell it Via Ebay as it was already up to 1300!  ::)

martinvx

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 12:00:45 AM »
any lately photos of your dads 24v carlton..?? manual a auto..??

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

0795omega

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 08:19:32 PM »
fetched strong money but then it is a nice gsi,amazed there was no last second bidders!

Dave the Builder

• Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 12:04:15 AM »
Yes , odd,sunday night auctions used to be a bidding frenzy
lets hope the new owner gives it a good home and the arches some tlc
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

0795omega

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 12:22:46 PM »
yes dave couldnt agree more with you about the arches,they spoil an otherwise perfect car!