Author Topic: Grundig 4870 - surface fault  (Read 18566 times)

melinx

• Wanted: Life
  • WHO created me in his own image ?
Re: Grundig 4870 - surface fault
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2012, 11:21:05 AM »
Is it only the cylindrical electrolytic capacitors that are a problem. I have been told that the all metal ones that look more like a can are better.

Any electrolytic capacitor 'ages' some makes are far better than others; rigorous testing when I was doing R&D on computer monitors revealed this (don't ask me which makes, it's been too long ago !)

Generally speaking, low capacitance ones are non electrolytic and usually have an indefinite lifespan but to produce the same capacitance as an electrolytic, a non electrolytic would have to be enormous and you would end up with a PC the size of a shed ::)

nightmare

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2012, 11:06:53 AM »
RE Surface fault.

After replacing my radio (thanks Kev) everything was working fine.

One month and a lot ofrain later(without use), it comes up with SURFACE when I put the CD on.
(Bugger) Thinks me, I'll have  to get the other one out to try when I get home.

96 miles later I get home, on the off chance that it was damp before I tried it again.

What do you know It WORKED. ;D

My point is Keith The CD changer you had might be OK if its left to dry out in the car.

Easy going untill PUSHED!!!!

man of kent

« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2012, 06:51:03 PM »
I tried drying it out in the house near a rad but had nothing. The old ones gone to the scrap yard now. I spent hours trying to get it to go.

The one I have now works fine except on one occasion SURFAC  came up ref my previous comment.

OLD TECHNOLOGY WORKS!

kevinfourlegs

• The only TC member with four legs and a Renault Scenic
  • Spreading the TC gospel in south Wales and beyond
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2012, 04:38:31 PM »
I abandoned the multi changer idea and reverted to a radio/cd head unit. Not keen on that to be honest, but it does the job.
Everyone knows that rwd is the proper way. Some refuse to admit it.

Now drives a Renault Scenic dCi Dynamique Tom Tom

man of kent

« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2012, 03:15:36 PM »
The grundig I fitted has been fine for 6 months until............car went down a pot hole with a bang - SURFACE came up and there it has stayed. Radio and tapes work ok so will leave it as it is. Might come back.

Should have enclosed it with cotton wool.
OLD TECHNOLOGY WORKS!

PeterC

« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2012, 10:35:38 PM »
Try reloading the discs. Either that or maybe the common problem is something like the laser knocked out of alignment.
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.

man of kent

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2012, 11:06:52 PM »
Try reloading the discs. Either that or maybe the common problem is something like the laser knocked out of alignment.
I think your right Pete. Alignment is essential and the problem is getting the correct alignment.

Had a similar problem on a small DVD which came up with a similar comment and when I looked at the internet for a solution it suggested moving the laser location a bit by pressing it. I pressed the plate the laser was mounted on and it worked. As the Grundig CD stack has a spring which you can change for horizontal or vertical mounting I think it confirms alignment problems when surface fault comes up. But why would it change with time?

I cleaned the laser but no fix, so I now need to get inside to find the laser location and find how changing the spring location affects it.
OLD TECHNOLOGY WORKS!

PeterC

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2012, 11:11:54 PM »
Suppose you could try changing the orientation of the unitfor a few months, just strap it in. See if that works before doing surgery. I would hope that there is something on the outside that allows adjustment for orientation !.
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.

man of kent

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2012, 11:15:44 PM »
Suppose you could try changing the orientation of the unitfor a few months, just strap it in. See if that works before doing surgery. I would hope that there is something on the outside that allows adjustment for orientation !.
Yes pete. Its the spring which has 2 different locations for horiz.and vertical mounting.
OLD TECHNOLOGY WORKS!

alastair

« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2012, 09:38:36 PM »
oh dear Keith your not having much luck with the old grundigs, did you chuck my old one? really odd how it was no good, I'm trying to think when it was removed, but it wasn't that long ago and had been in Dad's garage which is new and certainly not damp. I guess with all these things lack of use is no good for anything!!
1991 GSI 24v man
1993 Senator 24v CD Auto (for sale)
1991 Lotus Carlton (WIP)

man of kent

« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2012, 08:27:45 AM »
Yes it went to the tip. I fitted another and it has been working fine until the pot hole incident. Last week I turned it on and it was working fine for a few minutes. I told the misses and then it just stopped and the usual message came up. That was without touching it.

I'm going to try to find out why this happens. Certainly thumping affects it, but why when its old and not new. Temperature and damp may be an issue but I dried yours out thoroughly without any luck.

What we need in TC is an electronics engineer.........there is so much electronics now I think he will keep his mouth shut.
OLD TECHNOLOGY WORKS!

melinx

• WHO created me in his own image ?
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2012, 08:57:20 AM »
What we need in TC is an electronics engineer.........there is so much electronics now I think he will keep his mouth shut.

Too late for that ::)

I was in electronics R&D for 50 years in about 10 different disciplines and this was my eventual answer to the problem :'(

http://totalcarlton.com/forums/index.php/topic,10921.msg87628.html#msg87628

0795omega

« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2015, 12:14:55 PM »
had this on my car on getting it out of my lock up for past 2 weeks of being un-used and nothing i tried would get it to work again,then on mon car was parked in very hot direct sunlight for the day,i got in the car thought try it maybee ok now and yes it now works again as normal,looks like they might be a bit prone to not being used enough and a bit of damp set into them?