Author Topic: Members list by county?  (Read 10981 times)

man of kent

• Wanted: Life
Re: Members list by county?
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 09:09:22 PM »
Is this an alternative. In 'members', can a column be added to show the town or county? Then you can do your own search for members in your own area.
OLD TECHNOLOGY WORKS!

greasehog

• Luton Bedfordshire
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 10:02:17 PM »
That would take some time searching for people. It would be so much easier to click on the south east thread and see who's registered in that area all in one go....
Diane...

PeterC

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 04:16:28 PM »
Need somewhere for people to state where they are from. I suggest Members Profile Page.

Need somewhere to show where one member is from. I suggest the RHS under member name.

Need a list of members sortable by county (or whatever). I suggest the existing list of members showing other info etc with an extra column for location (sortable).

Perhaps i nthe search tool add way of searching by location.
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.

Murph

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 04:24:23 PM »
Need somewhere for people to state where they are from. I suggest Members Profile Page.
Already a space there, but people don't fill it in.
Need somewhere to show where one member is from. I suggest the RHS under member name.
Again - needs the member to fill it in under 'personal text' in their profile.
Need a list of members sortable by county (or whatever). I suggest the existing list of members showing other info etc with an extra column for location (sortable).
Perhaps int he search tool add way of searching by location.
Neither option is supported by our forum software.

It's never as easy as you might think to do this kind of thing.

greasehog

• Luton Bedfordshire
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 06:26:56 PM »
What can be more simpler than posting up half a dozen or so new posts in whatever section the mods choose... each entitled south, south east, south west , north east etc etc and getting members to add their name in their relevent area by copying and pasting the list (as we do when organising a meet).. make them stickys so they stay on top.
Diane...

PeterC

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2012, 07:30:15 PM »
Neither option is supported by our forum software.

It's never as easy as you might think to do this kind of thing.

As a programmer I can understand that !. So the suggestion by greasehog seems the only way ?.
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.

djbthatsme

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2012, 05:50:46 AM »
To poor lonely Kevinfourlegs. :'( :'( :'(
You're on your own but you're not. Although my home is in Derbyshire I'm  also looking after a property in South Wales where my roots are. Frequently I can be seen driving my 2.0l CDX carlton at the heads of the valley in the Rhymney area. I have never ever seen another carlton on the roads in Wales but some years ago I seen one in a garage for sale in Aberbargoed.  Does that make you feel more wanted. ;D ;D ;D

kevinfourlegs

• The only TC member with four legs and a Renault Scenic
  • Spreading the TC gospel in south Wales and beyond
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2012, 10:07:57 PM »
Oh goody, I got someone else to play with. It's no fun playing with oneself  :o ;D

Never seen another Carlton on the road in Wales since I've had them. Or before I had them, come to think of it  :(  It has been a while since I was in the Rhymney area. I have been contemplating a move back to Swansea.
Everyone knows that rwd is the proper way. Some refuse to admit it.

Now drives a Renault Scenic dCi Dynamique Tom Tom

djbthatsme

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2012, 06:01:23 PM »
I suggested a location database to document where each member was located but this may take some input by admin and could also entail involvement by external parties. I don't fully know how the existing computer system functions but like other members it seems that on the surface of it the framework exists to identify where each member lives. A column headed location could be added to the members profile page and the facility to search for members by location would work. This could even be expanded to more than one location if necessary with seperate columns. Present and future members could be persuaded to participate to achieve the objective , "remember we're all in it together" to quote our current government.  

I know its been said that this approach is not supported by the forum software but why could this software not be modified. I respectfully put forward the suggestion that Admin looks further into this. 

« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 06:17:11 PM by djbthatsme »

Murph

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2012, 12:06:41 AM »
The problem is that we have no control over the software.

I will take another look at the relevent pages for SMF but no promises - I never found anything like that as yet, and I have been looking!