Author Topic: 8valvers Plaza estate  (Read 7978 times)

Alex_FC

Re: 8valvers Plaza estate
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 10:47:34 PM »
Epic, love the motor and love to see it getting a thrash. Show and shine is so old hat.

8valver

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 07:12:29 PM »
Well, we have 12 months ticket. Straight through. No advisories. to say i was shocked is an understatement especially considering the 21 threw me  2 pages worth of fails the week before.

Dave the Builder

• Wanted: Life
  • Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2013, 07:21:42 PM »
Congratulations on the MOT  :)

commiserations on the arch  :P
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

Murph

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 08:13:45 PM »
Loving the rims!
Congrats on the pass mate.

8valver

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2013, 11:02:13 PM »
So the other week my workplace caught fire, taking half the industrial estate with it. I've been using my enforced holiday to start fitting the turbo, though as ever its now going to be lack of money holding me back rather than lack of time!!

So thats the initial fit, after clocking the compressor housing round, removing the actuator and fiddling with the water pipes, it all fits in under the bonnet!! Winning there as i was fully expecting hole in the bonnet time. Ive found a different actuator in the garage off a rover T25 that needs a bracket making but will be low enough to clear the bonnet. Moved the coil over to inner wing.

Ordered a slightly overkill sized intercooler today, I need to plumb that in, then work out where the PAS reservoir is going, custom lines for that. Exhaust (not looking forward to threading a 3" downpipe past the 'box). Then management and were done. I've said i'll have it running before my mate gets his volvo done, so no pressure  ;D ::)

psl

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2013, 10:12:57 PM »
Looking good

8valver

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2013, 08:01:28 PM »
So I shoehorned my intercooler in, it just about fits with rizla clearances on the pipework, had to shave the rad and the front panel, but its invisible once the bumper goes back on. Airbox bracket had to go. sorted my air side plumbing out as well.

Had to take some of the strengthener out the bonnet to fit that filter in though still  not had to cut holes in the outer skin.

Exhaust is going to have to wait until payday, next up is going to be the oil drain, actuator bracket etc. Once i tweak my downpipe i can fire it up and upset the neighbors check all is well. And a quick pic from before the latest rebuild..

Land-Barge

• 3 litre armchair special
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2013, 11:22:34 AM »
Looking good, loving those wheels, banded steels? 8)

Are you gonna fit a air vent in the bonnet for the filter, can see it getting hot under there :P

psl

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2013, 03:29:53 PM »
Loving the stance on it, keep up the good work  ;)

8valver

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
Thanks, will do!  :)

Yep 8x15 bandeds, 195/50/15s. Scoop is very tempting but maybe ive got enough stuff rivetted to it already? ::) maybe i'll mock something up and take a decision after because i cant really visualise in my head if it'll look right or not

8valver

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2013, 07:18:20 PM »
So yesterday and today i started work on the exhaust, am going single box, 3" all the way through. First time i've built one from scratch and therefore taking far too long, made more difficult by the fact that it has to be tucked up under the car as much as possible to avoid scraping issues. Still im happy with how it looks so far, going to black the tailpipe and visible bits of the silencer once its all welded up.

Raka_blakk

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2013, 12:23:28 AM »
This car looks so good now!

;)

psl

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2013, 12:21:14 PM »
its gonna sound as good as it looks  ;)

Raka_blakk

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2013, 10:34:12 AM »
Sry i havent read the hole thread but, are you using original diff?

16vturbo

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2013, 01:17:00 PM »
What kind of engine management system are you going to use?

8valver

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2013, 07:40:44 PM »
thanks to all for commenting, makes me feel like im getting somewhere with this :) :) well i had hoped to do a vid of the sound today but running out of gas stopped play on the exhaust, im nearly there tho!

raka, the diff is omega b, requires fitting the whole rear subframe but better choice of ratios, still running the smaller prop flange, ideally need to fit the bigger v6 flanges and prop but we'll see how the small stuff holds up first!!

16v turbo, im hoping to use megasquirt, i have a secondhand one here but it appears to be dead, more investigation required, i may have to bite the bullet and build one from scratch.

16vturbo

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2013, 06:26:40 AM »
I had a lot of problems connecting my computer to megasquirt first time, i thought my box was dead too?

But after i tried a lot of cheap ebay com-usb wires i bought an expensive one and contact was acheived :))

How did you modify the rear mounts on the subframe from omega b? Im thinking of doing this myself :)

8valver

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2013, 08:32:33 PM »
Look at post #21 in this thread, theres a pic of how i did the back of the subframe, its basically some box section, functional!!

I havent got to the connect to computer stage, not sure its even powering up, no led lighting up, worries me a little bit :-\. but will take a closer look soon.

Meanwhile, heres what ive done with the downpipe end of the exhaust, tucked up betweem the gearbox and the tunnel, made a section with V-bands so the whole lot is removable without disturbing the gearbox crossmember

psl

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2013, 08:42:39 PM »
nice work  ;)

8valver

« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2013, 12:09:51 AM »
Got chatter?  ;D ;D ;D

Raka_blakk

« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2013, 07:58:06 PM »
Thanks ;) Looks amazing ! love the rear arches, i might copy you if its ok ;P

8valver

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2017, 09:00:48 PM »
Time to exhume an exceedingly old thread. Y'all will be pleased to know that this old heap is still going, and recently passed an Mot... the last pass being over 3 years ago! Lots of welding required, plated top of o/s chassis leg, inner wing same side, loom/turret top/bulkhead interface plus footwell and inner sill.... all o/s. Lots of fun but at least i wont have to worry about that bit for a long while.

We are up and running on megasquirt 2, I ended up biting the bullet and buying a kit from the states, soldering it all up etc. I went for the bosch version of the 'diy P'n'P' meaning that i retained my factory motronic loom... some is of course redundant but totally worth doing to avoid building a loom. Needs mapping properly and i havent really boosted it yet for fear of blowing it up.

Went out and took a couple photos with my mates barge..

As you can see i have gained a gsi bumper and a much less knackered rear bumper! Im currently working on repairing and painting the front end of my old senator to go on this, unfortunately some kind souls had a go at the poor thing while in storage in the carpark at my flat and i had to get rid in a hurry, however it will donate a few parts to the carlton. I have fitted the tilt column and brake master/calipers/discs. As i am using a cable clutch still an auto brake reservoir is needed for the 24v master, cheers to chris and murph for hooking me up with one. 8)

Got a nice little catch can in there aswell, also reactivated my central locking with senator parts. I think i have a few other pics regarding some technical bits and peices on the turbo conversion so I will try and get those dug out and posted soon.

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2017, 11:08:44 PM »
Looking very good Dan!
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

PeterC

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2017, 05:09:14 PM »
That looks rather familiar. Thinking back to when I was breaking my spectral blue estate !.
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.