Author Topic: 8valvers Plaza estate  (Read 12318 times)

8valver

8valvers Plaza estate
« on: August 02, 2011, 09:53:28 PM »
Just thought id throw up a quick thread on this since last weekend contained some actual progress.

Ive owned the car for a while now, though its been off the road this last year due to being out of work over last summer.

So the progress involved getting the front suspension upgrade burned in and mocked up to see how much closer to the ground we are now..

It could do with being lower in my opinion, but thats as far down as its going on 9" 450lb springs

the only other mod worth putting up here is the hockey puck engine mounts i made, which has an added benefit of raising the engine so that the sump sits just above the level of the subframe

Currently the plan is to get the back end on coilys as well, get it mot'd and get back out there hanging it sideways ;D ;D

Edit, also runs a Mig spec, abs delete and a very snazzy wood rim wheel, i'll get some more pics up soon
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:00:19 PM by 8valver »

8valver

Re: 8valvers Plaza estate
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 10:59:38 PM »
Ok due to schoolboy error it turns out that we can actually have the car this low

Unfortunately its undriveable at this height as the subframe is about an inch off the deck plus no steering lock whatsoever, going to raise it for about 2 1/2" clearance to the deck and scaff bar the arches as neccessary.

Ive done a few little jobs like new CTS, and coolant flush/refill, bypassed the heater matrix temporarily, done some painting, etc, i'm getting closer to the end of my pre MOT list!

Ill leave you with a pic of her with the new senny 24v

8valver

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 10:13:28 PM »
Just a quick update on this, we now have fresh 12 months of ticket on the old girl....after having to find an MOT garage with a pit. Also has had a good shakedown at norfolk arena yesterday, so it seems the coilover installation is holding up, not so sure about the back axle though, something back there is knocking its tits off under full load, suspect driveshaft/cv problem.

Outside pics coming once shes had her first wash in a year and a half, heres where the coilovers go, the other end is attatched to 5mm tabs welded onto the chassis rail and floor, which i reinforced in that area with some 2mm plate aswell. I had a pair of 20mm spacers machined up so that the locking rings on the coilovers dont foul the trailing arm

8valver

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 11:29:55 PM »

Here's one from the weekend, you can kind of see where we had to cut and 'clearance' the rear arches, with a healthy dose of scaff bar aswell, to allow wheel changes with very short stroke suspension.  the trims cover this for street use.

kevinfourlegs

• The only TC member with four legs and a Renault Scenic
  • Wanted: Life
  • Spreading the TC gospel in south Wales and beyond
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 05:07:33 PM »
A bit on the low side for me. I'd never get out of it, thanks to me arthritis.

I bet its fun getting a jack under it if you get a puncture.
Everyone knows that rwd is the proper way. Some refuse to admit it.

Now drives a Renault Scenic dCi Dynamique Tom Tom

stemo

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 06:47:23 PM »
Those is some sweet lows.

Looking good man  8)

Land-Barge

• 3 litre armchair special
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 05:10:02 PM »
Great work with the rear coilovers, never thought it could be done that way, certainly looks the part, just needs some nice wheels now 8)

8valver

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 11:34:27 PM »
diplomat rims are about as nice as this one is getting lol  ::) unfortunately they have some very old tires on atm,  good for skids, not so good for trying to get some lo profiles on them,  i want to try some 205/55 15s off of  someone i work with, said i can have em for free :)

what did it cost you to get a set of wheels redrilled? was thinking to try and get a set of remotec 9x16s on the senny, 5x120 conversion, unless its cheaper to just redrill the wheels?

kevinfourlegs

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 09:20:33 AM »
They should fit, as I have had 225/60x15 on my rears, but mine wasn't lowered. Should you put 205/55x15s on yours, the speedo will be out by +4.26%. How do I know? I checked at willtheyfit.com.

Land-Barge

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 07:59:26 PM »
diplomat rims are about as nice as this one is getting lol  ::) unfortunately they have some very old tires on atm,  good for skids, not so good for trying to get some lo profiles on them,  i want to try some 205/55 15s off of  someone i work with, said i can have em for free :)

what did it cost you to get a set of wheels redrilled? was thinking to try and get a set of remotec 9x16s on the senny, 5x120 conversion, unless its cheaper to just redrill the wheels?

i had 195/50/15s on mine at one point, looked lost in the arches but mine is no where near as low as yours.  Redrilling is not cheap, cost me 50 a wheel to get done and you may need to factor in a refurb afterwards.  If you can get them on with adaptors i would go down that route.

8valver

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 07:46:24 PM »
Did a little more lock modding on this, basically removing the other 2 lock stops on the car (wishbone ones are long gone). Ive fitted 20mm spacers to the front to make sure there is no chance of the wheels coming into contact with anything on full lock, looking at it now you could get away with 15mm ones, maybe a bit less. Looks a little odd for now, with mismatced track widths, but ive got an omega rear axle to go on so thatll even it out a bit. also replaced brake pads all round, and new front discs, this was the advisory on the last mot .

My new lockstop ;D ::)

8valver

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 08:03:38 PM »
So today i had a bit of time to trial fit a new radiator. Omega 16v one, and its not really a direct fit as
a) you need to slice the old slam panel mounts out,
b) it doesn't quite fit between the rails, not by much though so they were 'fettled' a little, as were the bottom mounts so the 'legs' go into the rubbers
c)the top hose clashes with the battery, i think the omega tray is mounted further back.
d)the 8v bottom hose needs cutting to fit

due to battery clearance issue, plus when the turbo goes on I need to move it anyway, cut the tray out to be greeted with this  :o :o, another job to add to the list.

kevinfourlegs

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 08:19:32 AM »
You have the custom vent on yours  ;D  It aids cooling in the engine bay ;) ;D

Think I will check mine ....

Land-Barge

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 07:48:37 PM »
They always rust there, guess at the factory they fitted the battery tray leaving bare metal underneath :-\

8valver

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 10:54:31 PM »
true, my senny has similar issues with the tray.... I did kinda expect there to be a hole once the tray came out, it looked crispy from underneath, got some more gas now though so i'll be cracking on with that at the weekend hopefully.

In a non picture update ive also removed the bushes from the omega subframe, started welding the diff for that, and ordered up some genuine vx bushes as reference to get replicated in ally.

Does anyone know if the large type prop flange/drive bit off a s6 or v6 omega gearbox will bolt up to my (r25) box? I know i can swap the flanges over on the diff, but since I have a large type omega prop and assuming it's the right length it would make sense to bung it in there?

8valver

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 09:42:55 PM »
Well I havent been in here for a while....

So if you were at nationals you'd have seen that the rad conversion has all been done, and a bit of wiring later means it all works as it should, the fan works on both the omega thermoswitch and a manual override in the centre console.

I ended up using a 24v header tank, as the omega one wont fit the inner wing easily, and i needed to fab up a little T for the bottom hose.

Battery now lives here

Now ive had a cheap bucket seat in the garage a little while, so thinking to make a bit of space in the garage I went to fit it in the car. So firstly i redrilled the stock subframe to take the seat. which was ok, but not an ideal position really, I felt the seat was too high up. The seat has a thick bolster under your knees which meant i had to have it further forward than i'd like to get full use of the clutch pedal (very important  ;) ;)) and i also thought that were i to to take it somewhere helmets were needed I would probably not quite fit in the car!!

Anyway measuring up revealed that the holes in the seat and the runners in the car majorly interfered with getting the seat in a half reasonable position.
(Remind self to get a sidemounted bucket next time)

So, move the outermost runner in just under an inch

Knock up a subframe out of 5mm bar

And happy days

Im very happy with where it is now, its gangsta low but i can still just see where the corners of the bonnet are, and i can have full clutch travel comfortably. I've left the 3 point belt in mostly for convenience, it could get real old strapping a harness on just to go tescos for a packet of fags or whatever.

Alex_FC

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 05:50:47 PM »
I am loving this, Great to see your mods,

one thing, batteries have acid in, don't get it on your face in a crash.

16vturbo

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 09:45:54 PM »
Awesome man! ;)

I tried to fit a Omega B ecotec raditaor on my Omega, but it did not go well! I cutted of the two top mounts and i could not get the radiator in! I used a hammer to knock the subframe in, but i gave up! i could not get it to fit...

I had a spare Ford Sierra dohc radiator in my garage and mounted that instead :) Much better to squeeze in the turbohoses afterwards.

Wich turbo and engine management are you going to use? :)

8valver

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 12:55:52 PM »
Alex FC, thanks, i've gotta say im watching your jag swap with interest also.

16v turbo, i had to hammer the chassis rails a little to get the ecotec rad in, there is literally about a rizlas clearance each side.
I think i can still run boost hoses through but theyre going to be tight.

As for turbos ive got a td04 off an sti impreza iirc, been sat in my garage patiently waiting, going to have a go at megasquirt for management. Thing is ii dont know when that will happen cause i want to get to some events this year not just build the car!!

16vturbo

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 08:48:06 PM »
Alex FC, thanks, i've gotta say im watching your jag swap with interest also.

16v turbo, i had to hammer the chassis rails a little to get the ecotec rad in, there is literally about a rizlas clearance each side.
I think i can still run boost hoses through but theyre going to be tight.

As for turbos ive got a td04 off an sti impreza iirc, been sat in my garage patiently waiting, going to have a go at megasquirt for management. Thing is ii dont know when that will happen cause i want to get to some events this year not just build the car!!

I understand :) hope you get it sorted :D 2.0 8v turbo is working pretty well! ;)

8valver

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 10:36:21 PM »
Update time;

The car survived 2 days at norfolk, one being surely one of the hottest days of the year, thankfully the new cooling setup can handle it, temp never went beyond halfway up the dial.

Anyway we now have solid bushes, couple of issues with these, firstly the cups for the donuts are not actually that round. Of course they dont have to be for a rubber bush, but not ideal for solids, so i had to unweld them and have them spun up into round. All good now though.

secondly the 2 that go into the 'ears' on the the omega frame are still giving me issues, its not a proper sleeve, and at first i thought that I wasnt lining them up right. so they were always jamming on the 2nd lip.
I've sleeved them down with some 48mm steel tube, but that was jamming as well. seems the holes in the subframe are different sizes inside/outside. So plan B involves clearancing them out, and then weld the sleeves in. Its not going to win!! >:( >:(

Going to cover the rest of the swap in one go once its in properly.

8valver

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2012, 12:40:52 AM »
The omega subframe conversion has been in for a good few weeks now, no issues so far, and no real increase in nvh, bar you can hear the diff all the time, sounds like a disc or similar rubbing. I cant say really because solid engine mounts drown a lot out.

So three things you need to do:

Firstly the front diff hanger fouls the floor, this is worse if, like me, you are tucking the subframe up as close to the body as possible. I solved this using a jack/bar and hammer to get the clearance.

Secondly you need to fab up some kind of bar to link the back of the frame to the carlton diff mount. i cut the bottom of the mount out and welded in a new plate with the captive nuts where I wanted them. the bar is 3mm box section, its got crush tubes welded in also.

Thirdly, you need to move the fuel pump cradle if you're doing an estate. moved mine across a few inches, manipulated the steel lines, ran some new rubber ones. not sure where you could go if not running coilovers, my pump is kinda where the standard shock absorber would be.

Fourthly... this setup is wide, i doubt it will fit under standard arches unless you maybe ran high offset wheels, had to take a porta power to mine to even get 65 profiles in, then some more to stop the rubbing!!

8valver

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 09:54:31 PM »
Smoking 'em up at smeatharpe airfield at the weekend. Going to be put away for winter now, when the weather warms back up next year i'll be putting it through an MOT and then back on it!

Yes, the car was filthy by the end of that day!!

greasehog

• Luton Bedfordshire
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 09:34:24 PM »
Cool..... you need to wash the car now... :)
Diane...

psl

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 10:03:21 PM »
Looks like you had some fun  ;)