Author Topic: Stemo's Barge...  (Read 19002 times)

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • Wanted: Life
  • dartford kent
Re: Stemo's Barge...
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2013, 08:21:21 PM »
my feeling is that if you upgrade the rears,due to the lack of front end weight you stand a huge chance of over-braking the rear end if by chance you have to use the brakes in anger you could end up with the car doing stuff you dont want it to!!
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

stemo

« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2013, 08:40:47 AM »
Seems odd! I'll see how I get one with these..

stemo

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2014, 04:53:59 PM »
Not much has happened since my last post - at least nothing exciting!

- New front shocks. One of the seals went and emptied fluid inside the strut body. Scored a sweet set of NOS  Monroe Sensa-Trac Calibra\Cav shockers. Milled the tops of them down to fit inside the strut top. Gave the coilovers a once over while there to make sure all is well.

- Rear setup. Whilst the coilovers on the rear were ok, I was never truly happy with the setup. So some measuring and theorising later I got hold of a set of BMW E30 320i -40mm rear springs and Calibra shock absorbers. Offered them all up - they fit perfectly, it sits at the ideal height - level with the front, are more comfortable and have stopped it being as tail happy as it was. All in all a win.

Got a few things on the list to do :
- Rebuild the head (stem seals are blowing oil at heavy load)
- Change the sump (nasty accident, now slightly dented!  ::) )
- Build a new exhaust system as it's blowing a lot where it's scraped out on bumps etc. Will probably start with a stock system and modify to run higher/with less silencers.
- Change the near side rear hub and handbrake assembly (thread on hub is knackered thanks to a kind fool and there's no handbrake on that side as all the bits ground down when it imploded. It is Auto though so no worry day to day)
- Get it through it's MOT - via fixing the handbrake ^^
- Change the gearbox to a manual one at some point. I've got the 'box and prop just need the rest of it...
- Fit the remote central locking kit I've had kicking around for months now but not got around to doing...

Dave the Builder

• Wanted: Life
  • Swadlincote,Derbyshire
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2014, 10:32:48 PM »
Nice work,
I've just put mine back on standard springs because i was fed up of scraping on speed bumps  ::)
If the above post contains spelling mistakes / grammatical errors / poor use of the quote function / a very weak retort, or is generally shyte; it's because I'm feked on a cocktail of drugs,homebrew and carb cleaner.sorry

stemo

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2015, 06:56:16 PM »
Blimey, it's been a while! To be honest, not a lot has happened with the car since then, it's been outstandingly reliable and just motored on. Passed the MOT this year with no advisories and has been the best daily to hammer round in.

So this started off earlier in the year, I've always had a soft spot for the sound of a Straight 6, so when a Gold top came up for sale at a bargain price with a haul of spares I couldn't turn it down. As usual life got in the way, so doing the actual swap has been put off for a while as I needed the Car in daily use while I got my Volvo back on the road and various other things came up! However continuous bumps and scrapes of the exhaust had caused head stud issues as they don't like being banged around much... this culminated after the Retro Rides Gathering where I managed to split a silencer running over some cats eyes to overtake a cyclist. It's blowing at the head, it's blowing at the mid box, oh forget it!

We get to Wednesday and this happens.

Sweet crossmember bend on from trying to jack the car up on it - thankfully I have a mint one to weld in. It's scary how much rust can settle in somewhere you can't see regularly!

Speaking of rust

Progress, next step is to repair the couple of areas needing plating then start reassembling. It'll be nice to have it as a manual and with some more power!

Exhaust Lolz.

Curve to rear silencer

Mid box

stemo

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2016, 05:33:45 PM »
So this has actually been finished since the start of October and I've been slacking...would have been done sooner but decided to go away and stuff!

Monday August 31st:

So last time we saw it it had no engine in it and some holes that needed some attention, these were cleaned up with repair panels welded in, seam sealed and painted. I then attacked it on the bank holiday Monday with a friend who I tasked with taking out the dirty old Auto shifter. So you're probably supposed to take the centre console out and drill out the rivets. That's a lot of work, forget that, so a drill, grinder and a hammer and chisel (all walked into a bar) and it was bent enough to come out - huzzah. While that was happening I was taking the wiring looms out - both the engine and gearbox looms have to come out as they aren't needed anymore. I could have been very careful and unwound them and taken the big plugs through the bulkhead holes. Instead I just cut them off because I couldn't be bothered and don't particularly care about these looms other than for wire!

BE GONE

Next stop cup of tea then looking at what's next. First on the list of issues was the power steering lines, they run on the other side of the car. Bugger, however a lot of faffing and hassle I ended up getting Pirtek to make me up some hoses, free of charge courtesy of a friend. The fuel lines are also different, 2.0's go solid through the wing > flexi > rail. Whereas the 3.0 12v go solid through the wing > flexi > solid > rail. So collected a set from Carlton_Mad!

So we cracked on and set about bolting the 'box to the engine so those and the subframe could be slid in. This involved rooting through a box of bolts until I found the bellhousing bolts, then cut down a couple of the old 2.0 bellhousing bolts to mount the starter motor. Once this was all bolted up it was time for the fitting. This involved a combination of two jacks and an engine crane, lots of pushing, swearing and laughing (although laughing does make you weak). For the most part it went well and we got it all in to this stage with some twisting, turning etc. So much easier with no cross member!

Now it was time to mate the front half of the prop to the centre bearing. This should have been incredibly easy aside from the master spline that we couldn't see to get lined up. Eventually it slid in and it was now time to start bolting. Hoisting the subframe up on jacks and lining up the 4 bolt holes. Zipped up and boom, the engine is (technically) in.

After this the suspension arms could all be bolted back on and the steering assembly could be installed. By now it was relatively late in the day and being tired called it a day! Wrote a list of things from the top of my head in the morning (some VERY optimistic) but looking at what was crossed off it wasn't a bad day all round.

stemo

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2016, 05:43:28 PM »
October 17th:

Bit of a space in update pictures as I didn't have a phone but a few Saturdays work had got it to the exciting point. We'd got it running! Now to get it back down on the ground and take it for a spin around the farm...

The leads and dizzy cap have now been replaced and now have super fat 10mm leads!

Gotta love it when you jack the car up and at full extension the wheel still sits tucked more than a standard Carltons ride height!

Needed to improv to get it off the ramps as the big jack that had been used to put it on them was in the bodyshop...and it was late in the day. Old Small Block Chevy heads to the rescue!

Youtube vids courtesy of one of the guys:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NVQqfEpzZ0

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGUfz4cHbH8&feature=youtu.be

So for the moment it's running spot on. Pulling very well. Cobra Evolution Pro full containment seat has been fitted, brand new, donated by a friend after helping him with some things. Had to switch to a quick release for the wheel to get in and out. With the suspension setup reset and changed to account for the new engine she's and animal, goes and handles super well! Happy days  8).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 05:46:12 PM by stemo »

0795omega

« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2016, 01:37:20 PM »
looks tasty a lot of hard work gone into it.

stemo

« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2016, 04:55:05 PM »
Cheers fella  :)

stemo

« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2016, 09:24:41 AM »
So a trip to the Nurburgring is happening in May now which should be fun! It'll be hammered up the strip at Santa Pod too before then to iron out any further issues (Lambda has died at the mo so that's being replaced this weekend!). The back seats have been taken out and a harness has been fitted which sits perfectly with the seat and an Autometer Sport Comp Monster Tach with shift light (http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/mediumlarge/atm-3904_ln_ml.jpg) has been mounted on the dash  :D.

Street Sleeper

« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2016, 08:36:34 PM »
So a trip to the Nurburgring is happening in May now which should be fun! It'll be hammered up the strip at Santa Pod too before then to iron out any further issues (Lambda has died at the mo so that's being replaced this weekend!). The back seats have been taken out and a harness has been fitted which sits perfectly with the seat and an Autometer Sport Comp Monster Tach with shift light (http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/mediumlarge/atm-3904_ln_ml.jpg) has been mounted on the dash  :D.

I'd be interested to know how you get on!
89 Project tube GSI 6000 16V!

stemo

« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2016, 07:31:54 PM »
Ran a best today of 15.51 which I'm happy with as the best with the 2.0 was 18.2. I think there's still room to squeeze more out of it as it is but I'm happy with that! Book time for a 12v GSI is apparently 16.4 so that'll do nicely.

Street Sleeper

« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2016, 10:55:14 PM »
Ran a best today of 15.51 which I'm happy with as the best with the 2.0 was 18.2. I think there's still room to squeeze more out of it as it is but I'm happy with that! Book time for a 12v GSI is apparently 16.4 so that'll do nicely.
Nice one cheers!

chris

« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2016, 11:51:27 AM »
I took a 24v GSi once (York not Santa Pod) and best was 15.4.
It was fully loaded with 2 spare wheels, tools, child seat etc but you are still near enough at 24v times there, nice one!

I hope to take that car again with less weight and more power, it will be interesting to compare the result.

Street Sleeper

« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2016, 07:55:16 PM »
It was fully loaded with 2 spare wheels, tools, child seat etc but you are still near enough at 24v times there, nice one!

I hope to take that car again with less weight and more power, it will be interesting to compare the result.

Nice one! I only ask so if I run slower once (in the distant distant future!) my cars done I will know whether to post it up or not haha

chris

« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2016, 09:55:21 PM »

Nice one! I only ask so if I run slower once (in the distant distant future!) my cars done I will know whether to post it up or not haha

Haha, yeah, I'll bet you are worried now you've seen our times eh?

stemo

« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2016, 07:13:56 AM »
Thanks guys!

I've got a list of initial tweaks to make now before going back for more so watch this space.  :)

If your car is slower Street Sleeper then either something has gone wrong your end or very right here...! Although by then I think the MG Drag car my Father and I are building may be ready so I'll race you then!  :P

Street Sleeper

« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2016, 02:25:47 PM »

Haha, yeah, I'll bet you are worried now you've seen our times eh?

Ha ha ha you have no idea!!!!

Street Sleeper

« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2016, 02:28:35 PM »
Thanks guys!

I've got a list of initial tweaks to make now before going back for more so watch this space.  :)

If your car is slower Street Sleeper then either something has gone wrong your end or very right here...! Although by then I think the MG Drag car my Father and I are building may be ready so I'll race you then!  :P
Ha ha you're on! See you in about ten years time the rate I'm going!!

stemo

« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2016, 12:26:20 PM »
Some snaps from the weekend (on track shots courtesy of Ian Blackett (http://www.ianblackett.co.uk/)). Excuse my rusty door - I haven't got around to spraying the replacement yet!

0795omega

« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2016, 11:06:36 AM »
looks a well mean carlton that !!

Street Sleeper

« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2016, 04:56:18 PM »
Some snaps from the weekend (on track shots courtesy of Ian Blackett (http://www.ianblackett.co.uk/)). Excuse my rusty door - I haven't got around to spraying the replacement yet!

as I was scrolling down I saw 12 and 10 sec times up on the board I thought jeeez he HAS found some extra :o! And really started panicking haha!
Please tell me you trounced the perrrrjoe?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 04:58:37 PM by Street Sleeper »

stemo

« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2016, 08:00:37 PM »
Haha I'd love a 10! Even a 12 would do...! ;D

I did, he pulled a best of a 16.4 with semi slicks. For a hatchback which normally aren't my bag it's actually a really nice car in the flesh! Caged, stripped, same seat as mine (that's where mine came from), hydro handbrake. It's setup for hill climbs  :)

Street Sleeper

« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2017, 10:11:58 PM »
Hey stemo, did you use an aftermarket steering wheel with the quick release or did you manage to keep the original wheel?

stemo

« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2017, 07:47:30 AM »
I got rid of the boat wheel and swapped it with a smaller one with a boss and slim line quick release. I'm not a fan of the Carlton wheels at the best of times!