Author Topic: Johnny A's handy solutions (updated 16/10/2011)  (Read 5294 times)

Johnny A

• A 2.0 Carlton that chases Lotus' finest about?
  • Wanted: Life
  • 2 Carltons, 6 litres, 10 cylinders and one turbo
Johnny A's handy solutions (updated 16/10/2011)
« on: June 11, 2011, 04:25:23 PM »
As my modding progresses with my two carltons I find new and interesting solutions to problems that us carlton owners may face. From NLS replacements to modification parts you just can't lay your hands on.

24V throttle body cheap airflow increase
*This is only for 24v throttle bodies that have a 'Chocolate orange' seqment bolted to the main butterfly*
If your 24v throttle body has the wedge seqment like mine did you could go out and buy a early 24v throttle body, but there aren't that many about.
Another way around it is to purchase a late C20XE or C20LET throttle body, these can be had for peanuts and the main butterflys are the same size but do not contain a wedge, simply swap them over!

24V Vacuum sphere
You know them 24v Vacuum spheres which fail? Z20LET ones fit... and when I say fit, I mean they literally bolt up to the original mounting points on the 24v. BOOYAAAAA

The Z20LET engine is the 'ecotec' 2.0 16v Turbo found in Mk4 Astra's (SRi-T, GSi and Coupe Turbo), Mk5 Astra's (SRI's)

They are different in shape but work the same, the recessed pipe connector goes to the 24v inlet manifold and the smaller connector goes to the dual ram solenoid.

Straight 6 (larger type) prop bushes, a replacement and uprating solution
We all know these buggers are NLS from Vauxhall and even aftermarket stuff ain't cheap. But what about uprated ones?

Well as some of you know I picked up my Monaro VXR rear diff and shafts a few weeks back and I can confirm that a Carlton prop bolts straight up (the larger type from on S6 lumps).

So if you want replacement donuts that are stronger and new, buy monaro ones!

2mm thicker:

Super lows! Production coilovers for the front of any Carlton/Senator
Ok ok before anyone says it KW do indeed so a coilover kit for the Carlton/Senator... if you have that much cash flying around that's fine!

But this at least gives you coilovers at the front which are BETTER than the KW's

Anyways a friend of mine bought new coilovers for his Toyota Starlet 1.3 Turbo, he donated the old aftermarket (D2) units to me for experimentation. Guess what?? The fronts fit!! Not perfectly though but very VERY close. The bottom bracket holes need tweaking with a file and also a sleeve needs to inserted into the inside of the carlton top rubber for a snug fit. Otherwise bolt um on!!

Advantage over the KW kits? Well it don't cost you 800odd if you get a set second hand (you only need the fronts), also the entire body is threaded and the bottom bracket can be twisted up and down the shocker body for height adjustment!!!

Please note that even with a starlet coilover wound ALL THE WAY UP, your still looking at a 50mm drop so this mod is only really for the nutters!

Having trouble finding a new clutch cable for your 2.0 Carlton??
Not to worry, the 2.3TD one fits and is a bit longer for a smoother curve. WIN

« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 06:31:44 PM by Johnny A »
1993 Carlton Estate 2.0 16v Turbo camo edition
1989 Lotus Carlton replica - M4000 edition!

Cosmo D

• 24 valves breathing pure heaven into the thing
Re: More handy solutions
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 10:16:05 PM »
Thanks for the tip!  ;)
No Drift, No Fun ^^

agingsnoopdog1

• I luv Parmos/Carltons me..
Re: Johnny A's handy solutions (updated 29/09/2011)
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 02:00:46 PM »
oh the tree of knowledge...very interesting to know

16vturbo

Re: Johnny A's handy solutions (updated 16/10/2011)
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 12:53:42 PM »
Coilovers front and rear fits from Golf 2 also :) You just have to make the two holes in front a little bit bigger as the startlet ones ;)

overdrive

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 03:16:38 PM »
Coilovers front and rear fits from Golf 2 also :) You just have to make the two holes in front a little bit bigger as the startlet ones ;)

Ooh, thats interesting. MK2 golf to be clear?

Jimmy

• Zepp
  • Wanted: Life
  • South East Bruv!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 04:10:23 PM »
Blooming ace tips bruv!! Keep'em coming!  ;D
Just one now -
94' Senator 24V Ex-Old Bill - The White Pearl

stemo

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 11:46:27 AM »

Ooh, thats interesting. MK2 golf to be clear?

Yes, I used to have Golf coilovers on the back of mine.

overdrive

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 09:05:57 AM »
Superb, that's a fantastic bit of info! ;)