Author Topic: Kevinfourlegs' GLi Estate.  (Read 23771 times)

kevinfourlegs

• The only TC member with four legs and a Renault Scenic
  • Wanted: Life
  • Spreading the TC gospel in south Wales and beyond
Re: Kevinfourlegs' GLi Estate.
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2011, 05:24:59 PM »
As it was a fine day, I decided to bath the old blue barge. I bought some Farecla G3 paint renovator and wanted to use it. The bonnet has faded, which due to being parked up and not moving for long periods hasn't helped. Also there's a couple of marks on the roof, which need to be removed.

So I attacked the clean, dry bonnet with G3 paint renovator. Dunno why I bothered. Several times I did the bonnet and it made no noticeable difference. Tried the roof, as it isn't as bad. Same again, no noticeable difference. All that's happened is I'm stiffer than usual, in more pain, for nothing. I wouldn't mind the stiffness and pain if a half decent result had been achieved, which it hasn't.

That'll teach me to stray from Autoglym products. Been using Auoglym on my cars and bikes since 1983.
Everyone knows that rwd is the proper way. Some refuse to admit it.

Now drives a Renault Scenic dCi Dynamique Tom Tom

kevinfourlegs

« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2011, 04:46:28 PM »
Today was a fine day, so I thought I'd make hay. Or rather have a peek at the distributor cap and rotor arm.

Ain't they a bitch to get off with the cylinder head still in the car? The last one I did was wiith the head off.

I got the correct torx socket, E8, but I couldn't get a 3/8 ratchet in. I could only get a 1/4 ratchet in. Tried a 6mm spanner, too small. Tried a 7mm spanner and that was too slack. I had a rummage in me junk tin and found a 1/4" socket in 1/4 drive and it fitted perfect.

Someone has left the top half of the distributor cap shroud off, leaving the bottom half in place. Where the screw bolts through, had been butchered and it made getting a socket on rather awkward. So I gets me mate Percy Vere and I got the three screw bolts out and the distributor cap off.

The plastic shield that sits in the distributor cap was missing. So was the carbon brush that is there to make contact with the rotor arm. Oh dear. Obviously a retarded fuckwit has been playing with my car in the past. Where the carbon brush is, is anybody's guess. It wasn't in the distributor cap or the distributor. How the spring hadn't worked its way out, I don't know.

Anyhow another cap, shield and rotor arm was duly fitted. These came off my Diplomat and they had done about 18k and were like new.

I must say that this is the most awkward distributor cap that I have ever removed. The idle control valve and its hose, the cam cover bolt with its bracket for the loom and the engine lifting eye were all removed to allow for better access.

The Volvo 740s are similar in the location of the distributor at the back of the engine, BUT they use screw bolts with an 8mm hexagon head and you can get a deep 1/4 drive socket in to do the job, with the distributor shroud in place and no colourful language.

Pics to follow of the cap and rotor arm that came off.

chrismec

• Poole Dorset
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2011, 03:10:59 PM »
Good job done there Kev, surprised it ran as well as it did by the sound of the cap ;)

kevinfourlegs

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2011, 03:15:26 PM »
How long its been like that, I don't know. It would have been a good one to try and diagnose at the side of the M4 at night. NOT!!!

chrismec

• Poole Dorset
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2011, 03:19:11 PM »
Surprised it's not cured your problem though, crank sensor may be worth a try ;)

PeterC

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2011, 03:21:01 PM »
Ow that hurts - reminds me of my spectral blue one. Just seen the start of this thread -nice one.
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.

kevinfourlegs

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2011, 03:32:59 PM »
Chris, I got a known working crank sensor along with a lot of other known working parts off me Diplomat.

Peter, I know how it hurts, especially when I see a black Diplomat. That inspired me to get another Carlton. It was a no brainer. The only cars that I've consecutively are Volvo 740s and now the Vauxhall Carlton. I have had 5 Volvo 740s, one saloon all the others estates, GL, GLE and Turbo. God, could that thing go. So I got a bit of a way to go with the Carltons.

After this Carlton, and I hope its a lot of years away, I will get another. Fancy a 3.0 estate next.

PeterC

« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2011, 04:00:56 PM »
Yes. The Carlton is the only car I have ever so badly wanted another one of. I usually see a car through to the end but always been happy to look for something different and better afterwards.

I had a Creg Cavalier before which, after a few years, I realised was reliable. So I started looking after it. Five years later the MOT discovered the pedals were attached to the bulkhead by rust. Too far gone. anyway I was determined to get another Vauxhall but wanted an estate and sunroof. I spent mst of a summer car-less and looking. The newer Cavalier did not come in an estate. Vectras were too new (s). So I looked at Carlton estates. Saw many that were - tired looking and two that seemed dodgey. BUT I can still remember when I first saw the blue one. It was show room condition 4,000 for J92 2.0 CDXi in 1999. More than my budget - but I decided the alternative was not to look for a Carlton !!. After all the tired ones I jumped at it. Looking back 12 years life works out at 300 per year.
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.

kevinfourlegs

« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2011, 04:27:08 PM »
I have run a V8 Mercedes, 6 & 8 pot BMWs, Jag, Porsche, had money back then, and of all them, I would like another 7 series BM, but none made as much of an impression in me like the Carlton did.

I'm not Vauxhall mad, but I am keen on the Carltons. The older ones, like the Chevette, Viva, Magnum, Ventora, mk1 Cavalier etc flick me switch. As you may have noticed I am rwd. Had mk1, 2 and 3 Astras, ok, but not keen on the mk4 and later ones.

Vectras, I cannot stand. Driven and worked on them and I never liked them. Corsas are yuk, Nova is better. As for the Insignia, I wouldn't be seen dead in one. Horrid looking junk. Had mk2 Cavalier, ok, nothing special, Carlton better.

I do miss A582 SLG, my Manta GT/E hatch. Wish I still had it. Only problem now is they are too low for me to get in and out of.

Had Fords, but to be honest, I prefer Vauxhalls. I just had stickers for my estate boot windows saying 'I'd rather push a Vauxhall, than drive a Ford.

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2011, 05:42:18 PM »
Fancy a 3.0 estate next.

i may know of a 3.0 cdx auto thatll light your candle kev!!
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

kevinfourlegs

« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2011, 06:03:28 PM »
That's the one  I want, but not yet Chris. I'm still enjoying this one.

kevinfourlegs

« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2011, 12:19:34 PM »
The orange engine light has been coming on as it should when key is turned and goes out when engine started. Its been working perfect, except for Tuesday. Weather, conditions were no different, apart from the ambient temperature was a couple of degrees lower.

One thing I did notice, the heater took a while to get warm and even then it wasn't hot. It had second hand matrix fitted by previous owner and coolant is new. Coolant is from Vauxhall and mixed with boiling water that was left to cool, before refilling the system. Needle on temperature gauge has always been steady.

melinx

• WHO created me in his own image ?
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2011, 03:13:44 PM »
Paperclip it and see if there are any stored fault codes !

man of kent

« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2011, 04:46:15 PM »
Fancy a 3.0 estate next.

i may know of a 3.0 cdx auto thatll light your candle kev!!
How about me?.................
OLD TECHNOLOGY WORKS!

melinx

• WHO created me in his own image ?
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2011, 04:54:31 PM »
Do you reckon that you could 'light his candle' then :o ;D

kevinfourlegs

« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2011, 05:32:31 PM »
Oooo errrr  :o  I wonder where this is going?

I'm not wanting a 3.0 estate yet. I'm still enjoying this one.

nightmare

« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2011, 06:07:50 PM »
As it was a fine day, I decided to bath the old blue barge. I bought some Farecla G3 paint renovator and wanted to use it. The bonnet has faded, which due to being parked up and not moving for long periods hasn't helped. Also there's a couple of marks on the roof, which need to be removed.

So I attacked the clean, dry bonnet with G3 paint renovator. Dunno why I bothered. Several times I did the bonnet and it made no noticeable difference. Tried the roof, as it isn't as bad. Same again, no noticeable difference. All that's happened is I'm stiffer than usual, in more pain, for nothing. I wouldn't mind the stiffness and pain if a half decent result had been achieved, which it hasn't.

That'll teach me to stray from Autoglym products. Been using Auoglym on my cars and bikes since 1983.

You will get much better results from Farelca G3 when used with a power mop.

Just make sure to use plenty of water because if it dries it will burn the paint making it worse than before.
Easy going untill PUSHED!!!!

kevinfourlegs

« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2011, 07:02:05 PM »
A mate said I would be better off using a power mop. I think I may have to ask santa for one.

kevinfourlegs

« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2011, 09:24:43 PM »
This may be up for sale in the new year. It depends on whether the one I want is available.

kevinfourlegs

« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2012, 05:32:35 PM »
This afternoon I finally got round to converting the manual sunroof to a posh electric one. I had the bits off me old Diplomat, including the screws and the rubber bush. The only difference now is the winder and trim have been replaced with a switch and trim to match. I used the live from the interior light and I managed to do the connections without cutting any wires or a botch job.

So far there has been the pencil beam headlights, trip computer, alloys, Grundig cd changer and head unit and now electric sunroof. I think of it as a GLS, rather than a GL. I will have to get the Senator cross spoke alloys finished so I can get them fitted to the old blue barge.

kevinfourlegs

« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2012, 02:28:56 PM »
On the first page of this thread, some of my pictures have disappeared. Anybody know why  ??? ???

Murph

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2012, 04:43:44 PM »
They are the ones Mitch posted for you - looks like he's had a move around on his photobucket account.
Either give him a shout to get him to repost or if you still have them I can re-host them for you.

kevinfourlegs

« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2012, 08:58:40 PM »
I still have them.

Murph

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2012, 09:00:56 PM »
Email them to me then and I will re-host.

man of kent

« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2012, 08:24:37 AM »
This may be up for sale in the new year. It depends on whether the one I want is available.
As you know it took me a long time to find my one, so if the one you want comes up, be quick. Very quick. be careful as there are some cars which look quite good but are rotten and ask yourself the question "why are they selling"?

Better the devil you know?
OLD TECHNOLOGY WORKS!