Author Topic: Kevinfourlegs' GLi Estate.  (Read 23770 times)

Murph

• Administrator
  • Wanted: Life
Kevinfourlegs' GLi Estate.
« on: April 19, 2011, 12:29:20 PM »
After his Diplomat was written off by Reverend Clutz Kevin has been lucky enough to find this very tidy GLi.

Kevin says: It needs a good valet, but it runs and drives a lot tighter than my Diplomat. There is a pile of old tax discs, mots and bills which came with the car. I will be wading through it all and filing it all in chronological order. The beauty of this one is that it has no rust and never been welded. Joyo!! So all in all it ain't too bad.

There's a couple of issues to be sorted, but nothing major. The central locking is only working on driver's door and tail gate. I got all the bits if I need any replacements. The clock doesn't work, which isn't a problem as I will be fitting the seven function computer out of the Diplomat. The sunroof I will convert to electric. Headlights will be upgraded to the pencil beam ones and the alloys will be going on.

So.. let's let the pics do some talking!

And after a bit of a clean:

Well done Kev - nice find!

Catho

• The faith has finally been restored!!
Re: Kevinfourlegs' GLi Estate.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 12:58:55 PM »
Lovely looking 'BBB' (Big Blue Barge)  ;D

Loving the Reg. L---ONG...it sure is!!
After 10 years........she's back on the road!!!

melinx

• WHO created me in his own image ?
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 01:12:33 PM »
VERY nice :) I hope he found and shot the bird which crapped on it ;D

kevinfourlegs

• The only TC member with four legs and a Renault Scenic
  • Spreading the TC gospel in south Wales and beyond
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 06:49:29 AM »
Thanks for starting the thread Day. Its appreciated, nice one.

The bird poo was on when I got it. The poo on the roof near the aeriel had left a mark on the paint. Also the bonnet hsd swirl marks which should come out. It had a wash and a quick coat of wax. I will be using Autoglym's finest to clay, deep cleanse, polish and then finish with high definition wax. I haven't bought these yet. I did pay a visit to the local Vauxhall dealer and pick up an oil filter, oil, brake fluid and coolant.

The interior isn't up to my standards and that means the seats and console will have to be removed so I can get the carpets out for a jolly good clean. The driver's one is especially dirty. I've managed to get most of the dog hair up, with the remainder between the front seats and the console.

This is the Carlton that I've been after, a good solid estate. The one regret with my Diplomat was, that it wasn't an estate, and it wasn't solid. Hopefully I'd like to see this fine Carlton estate turn 30 years old in my ownership.

The sill covers will be removed for inspection and if any areas need to be sorted, then they will be addressed, along with any of the underneath. Prevention is better than cure. Talking of sorting any issues, someone has had the sense to touch up minor paint chips on the car. Granted the touch ups have been done in a shade of blue that idn't an exact match, but they won't rust anytime soon.

I will be changing the bonnet and tailgate badges for new ones. The Vauxhall binnet badge has started to peel. The ones on the tailgate have 'feathering' on the surface of the badge where the silver colouring has come off.

I'm going to stop prattling on before I bore you to sleep.

We haven't named her yet, but by coincidence, Catho is very very close to one of the names we have in mind!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 08:07:21 PM by kevinfourlegs »
Everyone knows that rwd is the proper way. Some refuse to admit it.

Now drives a Renault Scenic dCi Dynamique Tom Tom

melinx

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 08:31:47 AM »
I will be changing the bonnet and tailgate badges for new ones. The Vauxhall binnet badge has started to peel.

If you can find an old Astra in the scrappies, the inner of the boot badge is an exact fit for the Carlton bonnet badge and is likely to be 'pristine' since it doesn't take any stone damage ;)

Pedro

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 07:23:29 PM »
Good, honest estate - can't fault it! ;)

kevinfourlegs

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 08:07:48 PM »
Yesterday I called in at Vauxhall and treated the car to oil, oil filter, coolant and brake fluid. So today the liquids changed.

Mitch1965

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 11:25:32 PM »
Real smart motor is this One kevin. cooler than the penguins whatsits.. 8)

kevinfourlegs

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 09:33:33 AM »
Yesterday I attacked the plastic on the door cards and interior trim with me Autoglyn and an old toothbrush. The dirt was ingrained into the panels. The driver's kick panel in the footwell was the worst.

All the door and boot shuts were cleaned and then lubed with wd40. I like that as its a water repellant. Also the rubber seals on the sills and the gaps between the seals and sills were treated to a good clean and rub with wd40.

Under the bonnet had a pressure washing as it didn't look very appealing. The inner wings have a black coating. It looks like underseal, but I don't think it is. It can't be from the factory, as it wouldn't have lasted this long, would it?

On Monday, weather permitting, the carpets will be coming out for a good scrub. They should come up well afterwards. Had I a wet and dry hoover then I would only remove the seats and leave the carpets in place.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 08:10:08 PM by kevinfourlegs »

Catho

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 10:01:34 AM »
Photos, photos, photos... ;D

Mitch1965

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 10:16:57 AM »
You're going to town proper, on this Kevin 8) It will look great once done & nowt like getting rid of other folk grime when you get it. ;) ;)

kevinfourlegs

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 12:34:58 PM »
 Want this one to survive longer than the Diplomat. The car keeps me out of mischief. I don't drink or smoke so the car is my only vice.

kevinfourlegs

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 05:12:52 PM »
I was intending to start dismantling the Diplomat, but the guy with the yard where its sat, never turned up and couldn't get through on the fone. So a couple of hours wasted waiting around. So I came home.

I decided to investigate why the offside rear door was a pain to open. Its the central locking motor that is playing up. It doesn't matter as I've one on the Diplomat.

As the carpets look well grubby, I decided to remove the seats and trim and pull the carpets out. I got my nose a little too close to the carpets. To say they were smelling a little funky is an understatement. Definitely time for cleaning.

The seats aren't too bad, considering. They will have a wipe down. To clean the seats and carpets I will be using washing liquid (not washing up liquid) with Lenor fabric softener.

The trim under the seats leave a lot to be desired. They are rather on the grubby side, surprise, surprise. The runners under the seats need a good clean and lubing, as there's fluff and whatever else caked on. Yuk!

Pics to follow.

carltonman

• Aberdeen, UK
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 05:21:38 PM »
Kev, like the car alot. Colour is very nice. Nice find.

Regards

Stuart

Mitch1965

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 10:29:42 PM »

Ok Kevs sent me the pics so here you go.

How the carpets are,,, :o

Catho

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 10:40:35 PM »
Nothing a squirt of 'Vanish OXI Action' upholstery cleaner can't sort out  ;)

stemo

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 05:12:02 PM »

Ok Kevs sent me the pics so here you go.

How the carpets are,,, :o

2 cars for the price of one eh? Good bargain.....

kevinfourlegs

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 08:22:25 PM »
The carpets came up better than I hoped. In fact the whole interior did. While the carpets and soundproofing was out I decided to vacuum and wipe down the floor pan. I don't think the car had been cleaned in or out for some time.

I bunged the carpets in the washing machine, one at a time. Cheating, I know, but it was easier for me. They came out smelling rather fragrant, thanks to the Lenor.

Looks like I had better get some more piccies sorted.

Murph

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 09:13:35 PM »
Good progress that man!
I just remembered that I got that text from you earlier - I was driving through Pontypridd at the time - how ironic is that! ::)

kevinfourlegs

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 09:22:05 AM »
We could have met up. D'oh! One day.

Yesterday I swapped the standard toy headlights for the proper long range ones from my Diplomat. After using the long range ones, the standard ones seem ineffecient on the same road at 60mph compared to the long range ones. I also put the corect fuse in the fusebox and the relay to make sure everything works as it should.

The seven function gizmo was due to be fitted, but some pillock forgot to bring the parts back with him. I had a blonde moment.

kevinfourlegs

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 05:50:13 PM »
The latest.

I had half the dash out looking for the multi plug that goes into the seven function gadget. I couldn't see it, but I will find it. The cruise needs to be fitted as well, so when I do that I will have a deeper look for the multi plug.

The Grundig 4870 and cd changer is still waiting to go in. It looks as though it will be going where Vauxhall put it. Maybe. I'm going to have a good day when I do all the leccy bits together.

Earlier today I fitted the Diplomat alloys and tyres. Had the tracking done first. It definitely looks eleventy times better.  And I fitted the towing eye cover. Doing the wheels has buggered me in.

Last night I was offered a 3.0 24v engine, gearbox, stainless exhaust and whatever else is needed to conver mine. The price of this lot? Fck all!! I am very very very very tempted. Do I need the extra power? No. Do I want it? Its tempting. The engine is standard, although it had a top end rebuild with standard parts and it made 232 bhp on the rolling road.

What would you lot do? Keep it a 2.0 strangled cat or a 3.0 24v no cat lump with 232 bhp on tap? Should I go down the 3.0 route, the car will remain badged as a 2.0 GLi, although the twin square tail pipes will probably give the give the game away. Decisions, decisions!!

Murph

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 09:43:43 PM »
Take the parts anyway and IF you decide not to use them you could always pass them on through here for a sensible contribution.

Is the stainless exhaust for an estate?

Murph

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 09:54:52 PM »
More pics from Kev:

Johnraka

• I'm here to show you another path (The Unit)
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 10:02:43 PM »
Looks absolutely beautiful... 8) 8) 8)
Regards

JD

This week I have been mostly polishing my car...

melinx

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 10:18:26 PM »
Looks absolutely beautiful... 8) 8) 8)

Agreed  :)  A few squirts of Autoglym vinyl and rubber care on the plastic trim and tyres would give them that extra bit of gleam as well ;)