Author Topic: Autobahnstormers  (Read 43433 times)

doz

• Wanted: Life
  • Southampton
Re: Autobahnstormers
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2011, 10:49:17 PM »
It's been funny how this thread has snake it's way along the last couple of weeks never really dying, few raised hackles and many valid points. But the nitty gritty of it is, If you have a 4 banger do you feel ABS has something to offer you and are you likely to join if 4 bangers were allowed. Yes, No. Blunt but this isn't Quantum physics. I'm a member but I'm here just as much as there because I have a love of all Carltons. However I have little interested in any other models from Vauxhall opel (well maybe a couple) TBH as a daily driver they'd be pretty low on my pecking order (always open to having my horizons broadened ) Whether soandso was a stuck up sod or soandso didn't like my car I couldn't care less I'm sure I've upset some LC owners with what I've done to mine along the way but it won't stop me from enjoying the Carltons. So to me it's simple if you want to enjoy your car and feel that ABS as a Carlton club had something to offer you then join up. If you feel it doesn't then hey I'll still love ya car just as much and wanna poke and look at all the dirty bits.

Or be all really crafty join up as it is then all turn up at the AGM and raise the matter as said 20 should do it. ;)
Wafting air biscuits up the noses of the bureaucrats since 1970 
92 GSI 24v manual
92 LC

YasmineLee

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2011, 10:48:50 PM »
right think its time for me to say something

from what i vaguely remember from a conversation i had with someone (memory not what it use to be) as a club members are in control i.e AGM votes etc. You can also Join the club with a 4 pot but not alowed to go on the club stand.

So i think those who want 4 pots in fully should join and make their voices count in the AGM.

personally i would like the 4 pots included even thou i currently dont have a 4pot carlton. when the time comes for me to join i will make the point. as someone has already said carltons and senators are getting rare now and in time they should let in the 4 pots. even i now have gone into getting a meega 6pot!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 10:24:41 PM by carlton_mad »
Cars
'93 Vauxhall Carlton 3.0 24v A Diamond
'93 Vauxhall Senator 3.0 CD (C40SE Rep)
'93 Vauxhall Carlton 3.0 24v Diamond (C40E Rep)
'96 Vauxhall Frontera 2.8 TDI Diamond LWB
Vans
'00 Vauxhall Movano 2.8 TD LWB Hi Top Van
Bikes
'91(K) Suzuki GSX 600F
'04 (54) Piaggio X9 500 Evolution

Johnraka

• I'm here to show you another path (The Unit)
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2011, 09:03:08 AM »
I have to say Yas that is a complete surprise to me, I have just gone to the ABS site and it does indeed say that you do not have to own an eligible car to join, just have an interest in the cars - my recollection was that you had to have a six pot to join (or did I get that wrong?).
Quote from ABS club info pack: The car club for the Opel Monza, Vauxhall Royale, Opel/Vauxhall Senator, Vauxhall Carlton (6-cyl. only), Lotus Carlton, any 6-cylinder Opel/Vauxhall Omega and Vauxhall Monaro. Also incorporating the Old Opel Group, the Holden HSV vehicles and the Vauxhall VXR8.

Further on it states: You are eligible for club membership if you own, or have an interest in, any straight six Opel/Vauxhall. The major percentage of club membership encompasses owners of Opel Monzas and Opel/Vauxhall Senators although anything from the Carlton 2.6i to the Lotus Carlton and 6-cylinder Omega are also welcome. A new addition to the club family is the V8 Vauxhall Monaro and the Holden HSV range.

Even the info pack is a little ambiguous on this point.

That is a side issue I guess, despite my other reservations, membership of ABS based on whether I could put my car on the stand or not would be academic as I don't 'show' my car - it is not in 'show' condition and therefore would never appear on a 'stand'.

Membership would be useful in terms of getting Senator spares (given that I have a Senny interior in my GLi) as I have had to rely on TC members who are breaking a Senny for those bits - getting rare these days of course.

As the issue is simply about letting 4 pots on the stand then I think it should be allowed, as the number of cars (both Senator and Carlton) dwindle, as they inevitably will then some sort of 'amalgamation' must be a good idea.

I think that some of us who had a less than perfect experience of ABS membership (and that DOES include me) probably ended up using this post as a sounding board for our grievances (and that ALSO includes me!), as BC said - nothing good comes of it.

And for 'going off thread' I apologise, I allowed myself to stray from the original topic and in fact in order to type this response I am having to re-read Pedro's original question and the subsequent posts on the first page.
The question of ABS membership does not arise for me not just because of any experiences but simply because I would never put my car on a stand for show.
Would I attend an ABS or ABS sponsored show? Of course I would given that I have a love of Senny's and Carlton's just as I try to get to Billing when I can.
I'll end it there as this is starting to look like War and Peace. Good luck with the vote guys, I hope the 4 pots are allowed in  ;)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 08:53:57 PM by Johnraka »
Regards

JD

This week I have been mostly polishing my car...

kevinfourlegs

• The only TC member with four legs and a Renault Scenic
  • Spreading the TC gospel in south Wales and beyond
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2011, 08:53:16 PM »
When I first had my Carlton, I did not know the Vauxhall/Opel scene. I foned a number in Luton, and asked about clubs as I had just bought a 2.0 Carlton Diplomat. The lady I spoke to was unsure as to where to point me, but gave me a number to ring. It was for the ABS club. I foned the number and I was asked what car I had. When I said a Carlton 2.0 Diplomat, I got a rather snotty answer saying that it was only for cars with a six or eight cylinder engines. I asked how rare is the Carlton Diplomat as I can't recall seeing one. The answer was on the snotty side again. I don't know who it was that I spoke to, and I'm glad I didn't have qualifying criteria to join.

I am a Volvo fanatic, older models, and snobbery is alive and well in the Volvo owners club, so I didn't renew my membership.

So, even if four pot Carlton models were allowed in, then I would not want to join up. The snotty prick I spoke to has blown it. Yes, I know that he does not speak for everyone in the ABS, but I won't be spoken to like that. If my car wasn't good enough then, why now? I know it may not be a nice thing to say, but in my opinion they can shove their club.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 06:28:00 PM by Murph »
Everyone knows that rwd is the proper way. Some refuse to admit it.

Now drives a Renault Scenic dCi Dynamique Tom Tom

chris

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2011, 11:34:40 PM »
Kevin

It certainly sounds like the person you spoke to was bad mannered and to be fair right out of order.

Please dont label the whole club based on words from one person.

If the forst time I heard of Total Carlton was from someone I met who I didnt like, should I have written off the whole of TC?
Of course not, TC has a lot to offer, but just as in any group of people ABS, TC or any other club / group can have the occassional idiot or unpleasant person.

If you dont want or need to join ABS thats absolutely fine, but make your decision based on what it has to offer and on the majority of the membership, many of them are on here too and are decent people.

doz

• Southampton
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2011, 08:13:10 AM »
Kevin. So on the response of one person and one phone call you've pigeon holed every ABS member as snotty and rude?
92 GSI 24v manual
92 LC

Mitch1965

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2011, 04:44:32 PM »
I don't think Kevin did say every member of abs was snotty, but the one person he spoke to was obviously not the best nor diplomatic.(Scuse the pun)
I have found a good sort in abs myself, so its a shame on occasions this happened, & yes its not just abs, i have found other clubs on web & they do not make time to make you feeel welcome, so i don't bother with them myself now. Only takes one bad apple & i am sure we'd all do similar of have done.

kevinfourlegs

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2011, 09:47:30 PM »
In my above post, I stated: yes, I know that he does not speak for everyone in the ABS, but I won't be spoken to like that.

So no, I'm saying that everyone is like him. It was hardly a good advert for the ABS.

Can we get back on topic now please?

My answer is no, I don't want to join ABS should they allow super slugs like mine to join. I get all my jollies on TC.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 06:29:04 PM by Murph »

doz

• Southampton
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2011, 09:57:37 PM »
That's all you had to say in the first place.
92 GSI 24v manual
92 LC

kevinfourlegs

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2011, 10:08:59 PM »
I was just sharing my experience that I had.

Pedro

« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2011, 10:14:31 PM »
Right. It seems that some people cannot read simple instuctions! ::)
All I asked was a simple question:
"So, to those of you with 4 pot Carltons - would you join ABS or at least seriously consider it if the 4 pot engined cars were 'allowed in'?

Please keep on topic with a simple yay or nay..............."

As this has been seen as an opportunity to have a pop at the ABS by some, this will run no more.

Case dismissed.

vauxhallnutter

• Global Moderator
    • Vauxhall Opel Drivers Club
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2012, 09:32:14 PM »
Just to revive an old thread, as you do! lol

I have just joined ABS as its always nice to meet new people, plus they have a monthly meeting about 15 mins drive away from me so I get to talk to like minded enthusiasts.
Mark
Vauxhall Opel Drivers Club - For all models - a genuine enthusiasts club.
www.vodc.co.uk
Why not pop over and say hello?

Johnny A

• A 2.0 Carlton that chases Lotus' finest about?
  • 2 Carltons, 6 litres, 10 cylinders and one turbo
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2012, 09:28:04 PM »
I don't think this has been mentioned, but being as lazy as I am I find the methods for sending money off for membership were a bit of an arse. This was a contributing negative factor in deciding not to renew.
1993 Carlton Estate 2.0 16v Turbo camo edition
1989 Lotus Carlton replica - M4000 edition!

vauxhallnutter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2012, 09:40:42 PM »
I don't think this has been mentioned, but being as lazy as I am I find the methods for sending money off for membership were a bit of an arse. This was a contributing negative factor in deciding not to renew.

I paid my membership via pay pal which seemed ok.
Mark
www.vodc.co.uk

Johnny A

« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2012, 09:44:35 PM »
So the old gits are using technology now!

80mojo

« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2012, 07:52:49 AM »

I've always had a standing order with them. So it's never been an issue. That said I do need to renew it as the cost's gone up slightly this year.

Also, there seems to have been a big change in the last year or two in personalities running the club. I've not been that involved with the club as a whole so can't comment whether it's better or worse. Never noticed any real problems before that you wouldn't get anywhere else though. Being an ABS member has never been a drama and have met some very decent folk there.

Johnny A

« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2012, 08:55:17 AM »
Im sure once marham starts up again i will join

vauxhallnutter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2012, 09:11:43 PM »
So the old gits are using technology now!

Before i joined i asked if I could pay via pay pal and they were only too happy. Bought a couple of parts from the club shop and paid that way too. I suppose they had to move with the times! lol
Mark
www.vodc.co.uk

Jimmy

• Zepp
  • South East Bruv!
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2012, 03:03:52 PM »
how much has it gone up to now then?
Just one now -
94' Senator 24V Ex-Old Bill - The White Pearl

greasehog

• Luton Bedfordshire
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2012, 03:22:26 PM »
It's 25 now...
Diane...

bootie3367

• Global Moderator
  • *Ahem* Enix village, Spain, miles from Murph!
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2012, 04:28:36 PM »
Well worth it, first purchase from Trade Club will attest to that!
Drives: 2.6 CDXi estate, Lowered, 16" 5 spokes. De-catted. Soon to be chipped (maybe)

ian

« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2012, 10:59:59 AM »
My long standing moan was,

We are all doing the same thing! keeping old Vauxhall`s on the road and we are all facing the same problems which is sourcing parts. Just seems total madness to not allow 4 cylinder cars in which share the same rusty metal bits as the 6 pot cars, more people in the club the more buying power you have.

Thankfull chris has solved the parts problem by filling Dartford with Calton parts
Classic Car Insurance www.Hagertyinsurance.co.uk    iarthur@hagerty.com
0844 824 1130

Pedro

« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2012, 03:04:43 PM »
I think the 4 pots are 'allowed in' now.  ;)

It is a good club, if a little staid and old-fashioned.

chris

« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2012, 11:17:59 PM »
Thats true, 4 pots are club cars now.

I think it was only a matter of time now that Carlton owners are all the same kind of people facing the same kind of challenges with the same kind of quite old cars. (As Ian was saying I think)

You have to remember that when ABS started the typical 4 pot owner was very different to the typical 6 pot owner, the 4 pots were everyday run of the mill low budget family cars, the idea of the club as far as I can make out was to support the 6 pot owners who were generally a different owner, more likely to own the car because they were an enthusiast rather than for affordable practicality.
All Carltons fall into the enthusiasts cars category now, as TC shows.

I think the only criticism should be that ABS took a long time to make the change and recognise that 4 pot Carlton owners had become just the same group of enthusiasts as 6 pot owners.
Unfortunately it wasnt a lack of people saying it should change, just that some of the old timers didnt want change and not enough of the people wanting change turned up to vote for it.

Thats only my take, not an official account so make of it what you will.

For me ABS is well worth being a member of, and if you dont like an aspect of it but could benefit on the whole then join and say what you think and be willing to take part in making it happen, thats the only way change like the 4 pot thing will happen.
If its not for you then no worries, dont bother.

Winky

« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2012, 11:38:40 PM »
I've been a ABS member for about 10 years now (& club treasurer since April) & I joined because I owned a Senator & was looking to buy an LC & it was THE club to be in if you wanted one (still is).

The main differences between ABS & TC obviously was the 4-pot issue which as of the AGM 2011 has now changed but many TC 'old-timers' & indeed some ABS members still think the committee runs the club & makes the decisions. Day to day, week to week, yes we do but any changes to the club constitution, which allowing 4-pots to become club eligible was, have to be voted on at the AGM by THE MEMBERSHIP OF THE CLUB & had been voted on at at least the last three AGMs, being rejected until last year. From knowing their thoughts & opinions, most of the committee over the last three years voted FOR eligibility, it was the majority of members in the seats that rejected it therefore the club couldn't change it. We'd been saying to those who wanted the change to get to the AGM & add numbers to the YES vote but .....

As Jon has said, your first trade club purchase from Vx (probably service parts) will save you the 25 spent on membership & as Ian said more people in the club gives you bigger buying power & opens up the spare parts & knowledge base to a wider audience.