Author Topic: Autobahnstormers  (Read 43776 times)

Diplo-Matt

• Monza GSE. Senny 24v
  • Wanted: Life
Re: Autobahnstormers
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2015, 05:12:33 AM »
I have just rejoined but wont be taking any kind of active role. I certainly don't begrudge paying mind, you get the money back with the trade discount at vauxhall.

4 pot cars are now allowed and i will openly taking the credit for pushing that change a few years ago but to be honest its too little too late and there was alot of opposition.

If you haven't got a lotus carlton then it can be an odd club. Its something of status symbol within the ranks. Ironically they have never done anything for me so i've never bought one. Reality is i prefer the Monza even though i could have bought a Lotus.

I like what I say and I say what I bloody well like!!!!

Winky

« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2015, 05:30:25 PM »
I know I have just joined and this probably won't carry much weight because of that but in regards to the first post about ABS and 4 pot membership I won't join on principle that you have to pay to join and I have a 24v manual Senator CD (non police)

Your loss as you'll miss out on a lot of information & knowledge & access to spare parts.

As Matt says, you'd re-coup the 25 with the savings from Vx on parts for your next service.

Senator 24v

« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2015, 07:09:14 PM »
Unless they have information on where to get new timing chain guides and everything else related to the replacement of the timing gear then it's still a no from me I'm afraid because that's all I'm stuck on at this moment in time.

Diplo-Matt

• Monza GSE. Senny 24v
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2015, 07:27:03 PM »
German ebay is the best option.

stemo

« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2015, 07:36:03 PM »
Your loss as you'll miss out on a lot of information & knowledge & access to spare parts.

As Matt says, you'd re-coup the 25 with the savings from Vx on parts for your next service.

This ^^

I joined and easily had my money's worth of info and parts within about a week. For a relatively small outlay I'd say it's definitely worth it - even as a 'just in case'. Nice bunch of guys too.

Senator 24v

« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2015, 08:46:16 PM »
German ebay is the best option.

Just as I suspected, I don't know how you lads dare run your cars, I'm worried it's going to let go. Mine looks like it'll be a garage ornament for some time longer.

I already have access to Trade Club discounts etc...

chris

« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2015, 08:49:24 PM »
I know I have just joined and this probably won't carry much weight because of that but in regards to the first post about ABS and 4 pot membership I won't join on principle that you have to pay to join and I have a 24v manual Senator CD (non police)

Whats the problem with the principle of paying for getting something?

If you wont join because it has nothing to offer that you can benefit from then that's absolutely fine but not joining because its not free is just daft, be sensible and weigh up cost v benefit.

TC is great, and thanks to some top people making it happen its free, but ABS does offer a lot more and that has a cost.
It pays for itself many times over for me in money saved at the dealer, access to parts from the club shop and other members, information, magazines, lower cost entry at some events and so on.

Its your choice though, no problem with anyone not being interested.

chris

« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2015, 08:58:22 PM »
[, I don't know how you lads dare run your cars, I'm worried it's going to let go.

I just drive them, over the last 15 years I have usually used a GSi as my daily driver, always 24v, I have two now but one doesn't go out in winter and the other is having major metal surgery so none on the road right now.
I must have done about 200k miles and have never had a mechanical engine failure.

Don't get me wrong, it has happened to people but its not like they are fragile and always ready to fail. Try not to be paranoid and enjoy your car while you look out for spares.

bstardchild

« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2015, 11:24:31 PM »
Good to see this thread is running!!!
Cheers

BC

"The Lotus Carlton is not tail happy honestly - as long as you accept it has 377 bhp and 419 lb/ft of torque, is rear drive and has no driver aids, it's fine."

Diplo-Matt

• Monza GSE. Senny 24v
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2015, 10:01:23 AM »
And good to see your still around!

bstardchild

« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2015, 09:27:43 PM »
And good to see your still around!

Yeah this was one of the forums I culled from my regular visits - I was doing too much surfing/talking and not enough car work so I needed to correct the balance and get my mojo back (and finish the Bloody LC)
Cheers

BC

"The Lotus Carlton is not tail happy honestly - as long as you accept it has 377 bhp and 419 lb/ft of torque, is rear drive and has no driver aids, it's fine."

Diplo-Matt

• Monza GSE. Senny 24v
« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2015, 12:01:48 PM »
Yeah this was one of the forums I culled from my regular visits - I was doing too much surfing/talking and not enough car work so I needed to correct the balance and get my mojo back (and finish the Bloody LC)

I know the feeling, I kinda keep in touch with who i need to keep in touch with and keep myself to myself these days. Still got the monza, in the process of rebuilding the rear suspension at the minute.

Do you still have a spare 5th compomotive wheel? From the set you flogged me years ago? I must have a drive down at some point.

Email me if you like dreamoutloud84 'at' yahoo.co.uk

I have aquired a Senator A estate project also. 

bstardchild

« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2015, 07:55:30 PM »
I know the feeling, I kinda keep in touch with who i need to keep in touch with and keep myself to myself these days.

Yeah sometimes works better

Still got the monza, in the process of rebuilding the rear suspension at the minute.

That's a lovely job but at least if done properly you'll never have to do that again

Do you still have a spare 5th compomotive wheel? From the set you flogged me years ago? I must have a drive down at some point.

Yes

I have aquired a Senator A estate project also. 

How weird - 2nd one in two days I've heard of!!!
Cheers

BC

Diplo-Matt

• Monza GSE. Senny 24v
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2015, 08:11:54 PM »
That's a lovely job but at least if done properly you'll never have to do that again
Yup, it started off with a quick welding job to the trailing arms and ended up in a full rebuild!!! I managed to source some new bushes but to honest the originals are still perfectly serviceable. Also sourced new wheel bearings but they can wait until they are required.

I've rejoined the ABS but haven't bothered with the forum or anything, il be at billing all being well and by then the car should be 100% finished which will be some milestone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe see you there?

The Senny estate A is getting moved on, too many other priorities.

bstardchild

« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2015, 08:16:11 PM »
Yup, it started off with a quick welding job to the trailing arms and ended up in a full rebuild!!! I managed to source some new bushes but to honest the originals are still perfectly serviceable. Also sourced new wheel bearings but they can wait until they are required.

A full re-build normally means you need to use the bearings

I've rejoined the ABS but haven't bothered with the forum or anything, il be at billing all being well and by then the car should be 100% finished which will be some milestone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe see you there?

The forum is quiet but full of useful info and my mission to convert members to Monzas is never done but highly sucessfull on occasions

The Senny estate A is getting moved on, too many other priorities.

Ahhh that explains why have heard of 2 in a week
Cheers

BC

Diplo-Matt

• Monza GSE. Senny 24v
« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2015, 09:11:33 PM »
A full re-build normally means you need to use the bearings
Well its mainly cosmetics to be honest, did handbrake mechanism and rebuilt calipers last summer. Changed bushes, and going to fit a good used diff mounting, will change diff oil and inspect. Just got everything back from blasters today. Should have gone down the powder-coat route but they insist on doing there own blasting and it gets expensive.

I considered sleeving the hubs and fitting senator B bearings but i came across a set of genuine Monza ones so quite pleased about that.

I did think about re-joining the ABS forum and putting some pics up but I honestly don't think anyone cares about my old Monza aside from yourself and perhaps a few others who i'm mates with and see the car regularly anyway.

Ahhh that explains why have heard of 2 in a week
Yeah same car i'm sure. 

Anyway, were threadjacking!!!!

chris

« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2015, 11:10:51 PM »

I did think about re-joining the ABS forum and putting some pics up but I honestly don't think anyone cares about my old Monza aside from yourself and perhaps a few others who i'm mates with and see the car regularly anyway.

Hello Matt.
I don't agree, I look at just about all of the members car stuff because its all interesting even though I've never owned a Monza for example, I comment on very few of the threads though but I do look and enjoy following them and its that kind of content that keeps the likes of TC and ABS interesting.

All this stuff on the internet only works if people like you who know stuff and do lots of stuff write about it and share their knowledge and inspire others, and also feel the benefit of feedback sometimes too.

Personally I was waiting for your Monza thread because although I haven't seen you for a long time I know you had a load of restoration work done and I'm very interested to see what and how it turned out.

Perhaps people like me just quietly reading is part of the problem, no feedback might lead you to think no interest.

bstardchild

« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2015, 12:43:41 AM »

You weren't listening when I said I'm converting people to Monzas

One member sold his LC and bought a Monza (that's gotta be a first) and it's nice too

There are several very good regular Monza restoration updates worth following with some people establish a nice balance between original and modified

Cheers

BC

Winky

« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2015, 01:12:17 PM »
One member sold his LC and bought a Monza (that's gotta be a first) and it's nice too

& up your way too Matt (well, Yorkshire).

Diplo-Matt

• Monza GSE. Senny 24v
« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2015, 08:17:05 PM »
Il bring the car to billing and il happily chat to anyone there. Il have a think about posting on ABS. Mr Croft was asking for me to stick his louts on there in the for sale section so il do that at some point.

You weren't listening when I said I'm converting people to Monzas
Its good that people are keeping the Monza's alive and even resorting to ditching a Lotus Carlton in favour of one. I often get asked if i will ever get a Lotus Carlton??? I could have quite easily sold the Monza and bought one by now but they just have never done anything for me, i think the lairy bodykit and one colour has never appealed to me, although the peformance has!!! Actually, i find them a bit common, you never see one Monza the same as another, guess that's part of the appeal to me, and they are easy to work on. If I had 20k spare i'd buy an LC but I'd rather spend it on a nice garage or something. Incidentally it was you Ian who got me into the Monza many years ago, i was all set on a capri but saw some pictures of yours before it became a track whore and it got me into thinking about one, so patt yourself on the back. Although i never took the Monza to LeCroix I still have fond memorys of taking the MK1 Astra and the missus really enjoyed it. I do miss meeting up with other owners. I know of one other local Monza owner and thats it. Crofty has lost interest in his car which is a shame.

I had a thread running over on VODC but i haven't updated it in over a year, I maybe should as i'm about to embark on a load more work to get the car fully finished for Billing, although off away with work on Wednesday.

Here's the link, not sure why but all the pictures have shrank.
http://www.vodc.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16724&page=5

Il drop you a pm Chris. Good to hear from you and Winky aswell!!!

Scatmancraig

« Reply #120 on: May 02, 2015, 12:20:27 PM »
Must rejoin ABS myself sometime soon, especially if I'm ever to own a Monza again. 

Winky

« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2015, 09:05:56 PM »
Must rejoin ABS myself sometime soon, especially if I'm ever to own a Monza again. 

Yes you must.  ;D

treasurer@autobahnstormers.org.uk for Paypal payments Craig.

Scatmancraig

« Reply #122 on: May 02, 2015, 10:45:11 PM »

Yes you must.  ;D

treasurer@autobahnstormers.org.uk for Paypal payments Craig.
It's on my to do list Mike. I haven't owned a car for two years now, i might as well make my return to motoring in something interesting!