Author Topic: Autobahnstormers  (Read 43775 times)

Pedro

Autobahnstormers
« on: December 08, 2010, 10:37:34 PM »
Bit of a thing on there about whether 4 pot Carltons and/or Omega B's should become 'ABS club eligible', i.e. being able to show on ABS stand at Billing, ABS discounts etc.
OK, you don't need a club eligible car to become a member of ABS.
Personally, I think the Carlton 4 pots should be eligible.

So, to those of you with 4 pot Carltons - would you join ABS or at least seriously consider it if the 4 pot engined cars were 'allowed in'?

Please kep on topic with a simple yay or nay - I'd add a poll, but can't see how! :-[ :-[ :-[

Pedro - Yay.

Johnny A

• A 2.0 Carlton that chases Lotus' finest about?
  • Wanted: Life
  • 2 Carltons, 6 litres, 10 cylinders and one turbo
Re: Autobahnstormers
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 10:46:53 PM »
I was a member and had a 4-pot carlton but the only reasons where for a place at Marham and another outlet for spare parts.

I think it was sad that they wouldn't allow me to show my carlton, specially when V8 monaros were allowed.

So in answer to your question - No, it would not be an incentive for me
1993 Carlton Estate 2.0 16v Turbo camo edition
1989 Lotus Carlton replica - M4000 edition!

stemo

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 11:43:50 PM »
I would probably consider it more than I would at the minute... What's the general view on there of modified Carltons, be it lowering or different engines etc? Just out of interest...

chris

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 12:44:29 AM »
Stemo, no problem at all in ABS for you to do what you want to your car.

As with any group there are people with different preferences and tastes such as restoration, track day mods, any other mods etc.

Johnny A

The point is that you would then be welcomed into any ABS show with your 4 pot Carlton, the only rule if your car is club eligible (which it would be if the suggested change is made) is that your car is cleaned when on the ABS show field.
I know from experience with a 300 GSI that there is no snobbery about this, that car was quite rough but I made the effort to polish it and was welcomed in on my first visit to Billing.

Its worth knowing that many ABS members want this change (some dont too, everyone has a right to an opinion) and believe that 4 pot Carltons are so closely related and owned by real enthusiasts who could benefit from membership just as other members and bring their valuable experience and enthusiasm too.

Winky

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 01:05:10 PM »
The point is that you would then be welcomed into any ABS show with your 4 pot Carlton, the only rule if your car is club eligible (which it would be if the suggested change is made) is that your car is cleaned when on the ABS show field.

I'd make a slight correction to that Chris by saying that it doesn't have to be cleaned on the show field but it is asked that the car is clean & taxed (i.e. legal).

As has been said, modifications matter not, its all a personal preference what you do to your car anyway some people will like others won't but as ever, your car, your rules.

Jimmy

• Zepp
  • South East Bruv!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 04:03:33 PM »
yay for the 4ports carltons.

But dont like the fact that some have said that even if you do have a 6port, that ABS insist on show like condition - its clean, and cleaned to go on the ABS show field?? that i dont agree and would be something that would stop me joining with my Senny, becoz for me, i like a car for the engine and drivability, not to much on how it looks, mayby i like my Senny abit ruff around the edges (MadMax esk), as it gives a car more character as appose to a spotlessly clean and waxed one.

^^^^^^
So Winky, tho my Senny is legal (as you stated), i would be allowed on the show field with a ''ragged through a muddy field'' look??
Just one now -
94' Senator 24V Ex-Old Bill - The White Pearl

Winky

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 05:52:38 PM »
But dont like the fact that some have said that even if you do have a 6port, that ABS insist on show like condition

Who said that as they're completely wrong?

i like a car for the engine and drivability, not to much on how it looks, mayby i like my Senny abit ruff around the edges (MadMax esk),

Nothing wrong with a used car.

as it gives a car more character as appose to a spotlessly clean and waxed one.

In your opinion.

So Winky, tho my Senny is legal (as you stated), i would be allowed on the show field with a ''ragged through a muddy field'' look??

So if you're going to a show would you not at least throw a bucket of water over it?

Jimmy

• Zepp
  • South East Bruv!
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 06:02:45 PM »
But dont like the fact that some have said that even if you do have a 6port, that ABS insist on show like condition

Who said that as they're completely wrong?

i like a car for the engine and drivability, not to much on how it looks, mayby i like my Senny abit ruff around the edges (MadMax esk),

Nothing wrong with a used car.

as it gives a car more character as appose to a spotlessly clean and waxed one.

In your opinion.

So if you're going to a show would you not at least throw a bucket of water over it?

PMSL !!!  :D :D

of course! (still laughing) just using worse case scenario's for a accurate answer.... ha ha :D ;D :D

Well then.... regards to the other answers then - thats all okie dokie for me.  ;D
Just one now -

Diplo-Matt

• Monza GSE. Senny 24v
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 07:13:28 PM »
Hi Guys, il just make it clear now that Ive been a member of the ABS club for years and im trying my best to make these cars club eligable.

With regards to the show's, all we've ever asked is that cars are taxed tested and clean. Weve never asked that they be polished or gleaming. Many of us use our cars everyday have familys and work commitements and obviously preapring a car for a show can be low on our priorities. I used to organise the shows in the north, at the time I would display my monza which for the most part during the summer was being used everyday, with rusty wheel arches and flat paint, just having people there displaying there cars makes the effort worthwhile.

My thinking behind gettting the 4 pots involved is that we want to keep as many of these cars on the road and its clear from coming on here there are a lot of enthusiastic owners who arnt in the club for whatever reason and hopefully this will be an incentive to get involved with meets shows and sharing knowledge.

At the the end of the day, were in a recession running thirsty cars that are getting rarer and harder to maintain. At this stage i think its best to pull together and get all the cars under one banner as it were. Ive been in the ABS for a long time. Its been a fanatasic club and ive met some good people through it who are good friends outside the club. The level of knowledge is un surpassable for carltons/senators and i actually think anyone who owns a carlton/senator and not being in the club is making life harder for themselves.

I like what I say and I say what I bloody well like!!!!

Winky

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 07:14:19 PM »

PMSL !!!  :D :D

of course! (still laughing) just using worse case scenario's for a accurate answer.... ha ha :D ;D :D

Well then.... regards to the other answers then - thats all okie dokie for me.  ;D

:) Thats alright then as there seems to be a lot of mis-interpretation of what ABS members are like - 'elitist' has been used but I don't even own an Omega (geddit Omega Elite  :D  :-[ oh please yourselves  ;))

So Jimmy, going back to Petes original question, the fact you already own a club eligible car & the above points have been cleared up for you, would you join ABS & would you allow 4 pots to join?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 07:17:38 PM by Winky »

biffbangpow

• Ferryhill,County Durham
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 07:19:48 PM »
Hi Guys, il just make it clear now that Ive been a member of the ABS club for years and im trying my best to make these cars club eligable.

With regards to the show's, all we've ever asked is that cars are taxed tested and clean. Weve never asked that they be polished or gleaming. Many of us use our cars everyday have familys and work commitements and obviously preapring a car for a show can be low on our priorities. I used to organise the shows in the north, at the time I would display my monza which for the most part during the summer was being used everyday, with rusty wheel arches and flat paint, just having people there displaying there cars makes the effort worthwhile.

My thinking behind gettting the 4 pots involved is that we want to keep as many of these cars on the road and its clear from coming on here there are a lot of enthusiastic owners who arnt in the club for whatever reason and hopefully this will be an incentive to get involved with meets shows and sharing knowledge.

At the the end of the day, were in a recession running thirsty cars that are getting rarer and harder to maintain. At this stage i think its best to pull together and get all the cars under one banner as it were. Ive been in the ABS for a long time. Its been a fanatasic club and ive met some good people through it who are good friends outside the club. The level of knowledge is un surpassable for carltons/senators and i actually think anyone who owns a carlton/senator and not being in the club is making life harder for themselves.

TOTALLY AGREE !
ABS , are deffo missing a trick here

i,m a yes !

8valver

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 07:43:10 PM »
I would consider it, a yes from me

Though i do hope to own a 'club eligible' car at some point ;D

Jimmy

• Zepp
  • South East Bruv!
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 08:17:41 PM »

So Jimmy, going back to Petes original question, the fact you already own a club eligible car & the above points have been cleared up for you, would you join ABS & would you allow 4 pots to join?

Yes, having both 4pot and a 6pot car, if i was to join, i would have no bother against 4pot owners joining. As diplo-matt made a very important point that we should be aware, that these cars ie: Carltons/Senators 4/6pots are getting very rare, so getting all owners under one roof is defo a benifitial move for all owners, espeshily to carry on maintaining our cars for a fair few more years to come.

So i may be considering it, reason why i havent is coz iv gotton all the help iv needed ere on TC so far, for DIY's, parts, professional help with knowledge and hands on work from other members.

spose someone will reply to my post and say '' no harm in some extra help'' and mayby your right, like i said - i may be considering it ;)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 08:19:17 PM by Jimmy »
Just one now -

chris

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 09:51:28 PM »

I'd make a slight correction to that Chris by saying that it doesn't have to be cleaned on the show field but it is asked that the car is clean & taxed (i.e. legal).

No problem Mike.

I forgot the legal bit and it was just poor use of words late at night, thats what I meant.

My point, which was missed was that I took a GSi to Billing that was in fairly rough condition, rusty, bits missing etc, but I did clean it before setting off and was welcomed onto the field in my rough car.

Im just trying to show that its not elitist and theres no snobbery about condition of cars, if its a club car you will be welcome to attend shows and display with the other club cars.

I think it is very reasonable to expect cars to have been washed, it is a car show we are talking about after all.

doz

• Southampton
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 01:23:56 PM »
Being a member of ABS and currently have a GSi and the LC but I love Carlies in any trim/engine combo. My Gsi is currently in "Marham" trim which means in bits with a load of spare wheels in the boot!!!! The LC is currently a WIP and will be for sometime so as you can see it doesn't matter what state the car is in as long as you have a passion for these cars.

However I do have to warn you about one thing. If this does happen and you turn up at ABS meet for the love of god don't mention woman's clothing to Winky. Last time somebody did he ended up poncing around in a lilac Laura Ashley outfit. He's got wardrobes full of the stuff. Most embarrassing.
Wafting air biscuits up the noses of the bureaucrats since 1970 
92 GSI 24v manual
92 LC

Mitch1965

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 05:50:38 PM »
I am going to say no, i don't think 4 pots should be allowed into abs. As above there infinate help on both sites for those that need it.
I have met alot of abs guys & from experience i can say they're a good lot, as they are on here.
I don't see why 4 pots should join, almost as if they're going against their constitution?? i would also say that i don't see why the V6 or v8 crew are allowed in either. @ billing there was a de-lorean on stand as was an Astra D??? ??? ???

There's clubs for both cars alike,,, :-[

stemo

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 06:58:29 PM »
I would join...I also agree with the car being cleaned before going onto a stand, whenever mine has been going on to a stand its always at least had a wash if not a proper clean before going on. But from me thats a yes (and not because I own a 4-pot Carlton, because eventually it'll be an 8 pot but for the community and that we should pull together)

Whippit

• Kirkcaldy, Fife
  • Global Moderator
  • Ut olim ingenii necnon virtutis
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 07:14:15 PM »
I am tending o be with Mitch on this.

Plus they did not want us when we wanted to join............are they running short of members now?

supercub

• 1993 2.0 DIAMOND
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 07:20:48 PM »
Id join,  But only because i might possibly end up with a 6 pot one day.   As it is theres no real reason for a 4 pot to be part of it.   They arnt exactly in the same league.  Nor are they sporting in any way....

If it was allowed though, I probably would join,  If it gave me some perks i.e cheaper parts that might give me an incentive to buy a 6 pot later on.

biffbangpow

• Ferryhill,County Durham
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2010, 07:24:33 PM »

Plus they did not want us when we wanted to join............are they running short of members now?

no ,mate
we are trying to open abs to all carltons and senny and omegas thats all !
however dont hold ya breath , wont be this year tbh !
tbh i think its a traversty , that all carltons are not part of abs !

Pedro

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2010, 08:13:15 PM »
I am going to say no, i don't think 4 pots should be allowed into abs. As above there infinate help on both sites for those that need it.
I have met alot of abs guys & from experience i can say they're a good lot, as they are on here.
I don't see why 4 pots should join, almost as if they're going against their constitution?? i would also say that i don't see why the V6 or v8 crew are allowed in either. @ billing there was a de-lorean on stand as was an Astra D??? ??? ???

There's clubs for both cars alike,,, :-[

V6 engined cars were in the original constitution and V8's voted in.

The non-club cars weren't (or shouldn't have been) in the show area on the Sunday (Judgement Day).

Also, the question was not about whether you think ABS should accept the 4 pots - simply, if the ABS allowed them in, and if you owned one, would you join the ABS?
Simples.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 08:19:31 PM by Pedro »

Pedro

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2010, 08:17:07 PM »

It's not a case of 'they did not want us'. simply a majority vote at the AGM in 2009 and again in 2010.
Now, the Club has upwards of 650 members, so no, we're not losing members.
This is simply a rough 'straw poll' to see if it's worth a few of us to campaign (for want of a better expression) to get 4 pots on the club register. Main reason being is they share alot with the 6 pot brethren.

Pedro

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2010, 08:22:04 PM »
Id join,  But only because i might possibly end up with a 6 pot one day.   As it is theres no real reason for a 4 pot to be part of it.   They arnt exactly in the same league.  Nor are they sporting in any way....

If it was allowed though, I probably would join,  If it gave me some perks i.e cheaper parts that might give me an incentive to buy a 6 pot later on.

Depends on what 4 pot engine they're running! :D

Being in the same league makes no bearing to be honest, as the ABS once included certain old RWD Opels, pre-1980 I think.
I mean a Carlton 2.6 L isn't exactly in the same league as an Elsie, is it?

Pedro

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2010, 08:27:05 PM »
This will have to be voted in at the next AGM.
As mentioned, there are upwards of 650 members in the ABS - mostly UK.
The AGM is held at Vauxhall in Luton, around October time - and yet, only the committee and 20-30 members ever turn up!

So, if you are reading this as an ABS member, then it's kinda up to you to vote (for or against, depending on your viewpoint) which means a trip to Luton to be able to cast your vote should the subject be raised at the meeting, and I can tell you now that it will.

Johnny A

• A 2.0 Carlton that chases Lotus' finest about?
  • 2 Carltons, 6 litres, 10 cylinders and one turbo
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2010, 09:14:19 PM »
Depends on what 4 pot engine they're running! :D

Ahem brother!
1993 Carlton Estate 2.0 16v Turbo camo edition
1989 Lotus Carlton replica - M4000 edition!