Author Topic: 'Ex-plod' Senny (The White Pearl)  (Read 33567 times)

Jimmy

• Zepp
  • Wanted: Life
  • South East Bruv!
'Ex-plod' Senny (The White Pearl)
« on: October 04, 2010, 02:05:10 PM »
when unlocking the car, sometimes(more often not) the front passenger door doesnt unlock, and when i get in the car and reach over to unlock it, it wont lift!, i can pull it up but it just pops down again, and the only way to unlock it is to get out the car, lock it up again, walk round and unlock the car from the passenger side. Slighty wedged i think because if i then lock it on the driver's side it imediately unlocks it self coz the passenger side wont go down, so..... i have to walk round and lock it from there..

What you think? is there a plug loose, some wiring to look at, or is just the mechanical part of the lock that need wd40'ing etc.

I know this is a major common problem with these cars, so most likely most of all you have had this problem. Your cure and advice will be very helpful please.

Note: this is a Senator not a Carlton, which makes no difference as they are the same system.lol, but just thought id mention that :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 09:09:37 PM by Jimmy »
Just one now -
94' Senator 24V Ex-Old Bill - The White Pearl

von-opel

• "Broadsword calling danny boy"
Re: C/locking tempremental
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 05:23:17 PM »
Check adjustment to 2mm clearance as this is critical, also another of the usual suspects is the tiny micro switch on the door lock motor rack. Can be dismantled but its a bit tricky & its a lot easier to just get a secondhand one & replace it.

Jimmy

• Zepp
  • South East Bruv!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 05:31:26 PM »
yeh been looking on old posts about c/locking, and everyone is talking about the microswitch, so will have to investigate tomorrow, but if anyone has any other answers and possibilities, that would be great fanks :)
Just one now -

melinx

• WHO created me in his own image ?
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 03:37:22 PM »

Jimmy

• Zepp
  • South East Bruv!
C/L tempremental 'sorted' Now its 'Ex-plod' Senny W.I.P (Needs to be MOVED)
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 04:04:27 PM »
Sorted it now mate, with the fine hand help from Murph. Cheers buddy ;)

Just gotta sort out my tempremental headlights that decide to cut out, not a biggy when on motorway, slap the dash and they come back on, but it be a very BIG biggy when wizzing through some country lanes coz when they go off, i cant see Nuff'n!!!!!

Finally got a shite load of excess police wire out of my car yesterday and today. F'n lots of it, they must of just cut the gadgets off and left all the wire there!! found another 9mm luger shell today aswell, il have a full mag soon.lol

God these ex-plody motors sure are wired up weird, screws missing ere and there, all the interier is weird too, the heater passage that goes through the centre console to the back is chopped up/adapted and re-routed to make space for their CV radio and such. pointlees elec window switches and wires sitting in there due to it having manual windows. figured out most of the wires today when the dash was half out/off, but still loads of dead end wire left to take out in the engine bay.

Think this thread might be changed to the ex-plod Senny W.I.P

Most of you will remember this sight screeching on ya breaks in the outside lane ;)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 05:03:05 PM by Jimmy »
Just one now -

Jimmy

• Zepp
  • South East Bruv!
Re: 'Ex-plod' Senny W.I.P
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 06:31:35 PM »
Ah Sweet!!! cheers for the move Murph.

Sorry its a 'Senator' W.I.P on a Carlton site, but my Carly is off the road at the moment with no problems, so all work is being performed with the Senny for the time being.

Like what you've read in the above posts, there have being typical/common problems with it so far, but its all part of the fun, and this car is going to be a learning platform for possible future projects etc, learnt a great deal already, so will post up some piccys soon with some progress or de-progress.lol

Got a Scorpion Zorrst to fit at some point ;)
Just one now -

Land-Barge

• 3 litre armchair special

Most of you will remember this sight screeching on ya breaks in the outside lane ;)

Ever fancy turning it back into a police car Jimmy?  Don't think I've seen one returned to plod spec so would be cool I guess :)

As for the light problem I can only suggest you invest in some night vision goggles ;D

U.D. - Omega DTM Rep

• Want parts? TOUGH!!! Buy something else....
  • I'm just a six cylinder & Irmscher JUNKIE!!!
Don't think I've seen one returned to plod spec so would be cool I guess :)

Hmmm, Its been done loads of times....

You should go to the V.B.O.A. show at Billing Aquadrome LB! ;)

There have been quite a few different ex-Polac Senny B's displayed during this Vauxhall/Opel car show weekend over the years that I have travelled to Northampton mate. Police cars of all descriptions seem popular at these shows.

When I first joined the Bahnstormers there used to be an F-reg 3.0i 12v ex-Police Senny B with a full Police livery that used to attend Track days at Castle Combe until it got written off during one track session.... :'( :'( :'(

And don't forget about the eBay H-plate 3.0i 24v ex-Polac Senny B (also in its old livery) that was confiscated and destroyed after the new owner travelled several hundred miles across the UK at triple figure speeds with the cars sirens and light blazing just for the crack! :-\

HTH! :P
Nissan took a 600bhp NISMO Racecar and de-tuned this flagship Coupé for everyday use on public roads. GM took a reliable Carlton GSi 3000 24v and had Lotus convert it into a 377bhp Bahnstorming Lotus Carlton. Both vehicles were on sale from 1989....Which manufacturer would you trust with your cash??

Jimmy

• Zepp
  • South East Bruv!
As for the light problem I can only suggest you invest in some night vision goggles ;D

Im gonna strap some torches on the bonnet for emergencies when it does happen. lol

Ever fancy turning it back into a police car Jimmy?  Don't think I've seen one returned to plod spec so would be cool I guess :)

thought about it once or twice, but im on the lines of making it more plain and white , if thats possible, ie: remove door trims, top part of the bumpers white, but leave the skirts black along with the lower bumper trim black also, dunno tho, still thinking...... but for now, im just sorting the interier stuff, then to engine, then to exterier trim ;)
Just one now -

Murph

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 08:54:37 PM »
In case anyone was wondering...
Jimmy's passenger door locking button assembly was rusted pretty much solid.

Copious amounts of WD40 and a little patience saw it working again though so thats one more item off Jimmy's "to do" list.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 09:54:35 PM by carlton_mad »

Jimmy

• Zepp
  • South East Bruv!
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 08:57:10 PM »
so thats one more item of Jimmy's "to do" list.

and that list is a pretty big one. lol

spose i should've explained what the fault was. whoops...  :D
Just one now -

Jimmy

• Zepp
  • South East Bruv!
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 12:32:37 PM »
Well, finally got an old phone working to get some pics on the go.

Firstly, here she is: 3.0i 24V

Love THat Grill!!! ''Watch out! im coming up behind ya!! ''

Ripped up the carpets to have a look at the floor, to see how clean or rotton she is.

Very clean, like this both sides, was a lil damp, but all dryed out and cleared the gutter to keep it that way ;)

but looking around abit more, AlaS!!!

Well it was enevitable, this is due to the holes made by the old bill to route all the police wire through the bulk head next to the loom going through, which there was a shite load of, Observe:

And there still is abit more in the engine bay.

But still looking good. My exhaust is blowing, well... blown on the n/s mid box, but no worry as i have a replacement, as some of you may know from another post i added. The Scorpion Zorrrst! :

Nice ;) needs a clean, but ...nice

and some Cat Pods:

just need a wire brush on them to get the grit off

So i got some stuff to get on with, so wish me well with it all. Will keep you posted ;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 02:51:30 PM by Jimmy »
Just one now -

Jimmy

• Zepp
  • South East Bruv!
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 01:33:51 PM »
Thanks to U.D i have some history of her from when she belonged to an 'Autobahnstormer' member; Jeremey Hails, who sadley passed away not too long ago.

Here she is attending a 'Rolling Road' day advertised in 'Total Vauxhall' back in 05 i think:

209bhp! nice.
Now with a refresh, CHG been done, its chipped, and still got the exhaust to fit which will work awesome with the chip, a K&N panel filter fitted also, so.... should be a lil higher then that now  ;D
Just one now -

stealthstylz

Re: 'Ex-plod' Senny W.I.P (The White Pearl)
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 12:02:07 AM »
Are all Scorpion exhausts dented in the same place on the middle box?

Matt

Jimmy

• Zepp
  • South East Bruv!
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 03:55:12 PM »
Are all Scorpion exhausts dented in the same place on the middle box?

Matt

yeh, not alot of clearence on these zorsts. haha
no cracks or splits tho, so all good :)
Just one now -

stealthstylz

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 05:03:55 PM »
If you chop the lump out of the trans tunnel where the 2nd gearbox crossmember sits you can tuck the exhaust above floor level the whole length of the car.

Matt

Jimmy

• Zepp
  • South East Bruv!
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 05:36:31 PM »
If you chop the lump out of the trans tunnel where the 2nd gearbox crossmember sits you can tuck the exhaust above floor level the whole length of the car.

Matt

oh cheers for that tip matey, will be a big consideraton, what about the back box tho, can i leave that at its natural height? bcoz i will have to mod the back bumper/cut a slot out for the tail pipes.... or will that bend the exhaust?
If the weather is good Saturday, im gonna spend most of the day having a play with it all and see how it all sits(hangs).
Just one now -

stealthstylz

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 07:16:27 PM »
Sorry wasn't very clear. Should have read "If you chop the lump out of the trans tunnel where the 2nd gearbox crossmember sits you can tuck AN exhaust above floor level the whole length of the car

The Scorpion one won't work as the split is too wide, you can tuck it pretty high though.

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 08:20:17 PM »
Sorry wasn't very clear. Should have read "If you chop the lump out of the trans tunnel where the 2nd gearbox crossmember sits you can tuck AN exhaust above floor level the whole length of the car

The Scorpion one won't work as the split is too wide, you can tuck it pretty high though.

and so doing will weaken the cars structure the second crossmember is there to add torsional strength on the manual cars
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

stealthstylz

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 09:10:10 PM »
The track car didn't have one fitted when I bought it. I'm making a custom one to replace it as its obviously there for a reason. It's the lump that's in the way, with that removed you can run the exhaust over the crossmembers.

Matt

Jimmy

• Zepp
  • South East Bruv!
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 06:54:20 PM »
Well, here we have a lil update on the Scorpiob Zorst:

Before:

Got to Mr MAds, then the rain just poured down, so while it was raining we started the assembly of the Cat pods:

With a few new screws and bolts.

and after a few cups of tea, it dried up and the sun came out  ;D

back box out and one side of the dual system:

with a bit of tweeking, snapped a few screws:

Coz it was rotton!!!

Then the rest out:

So me and Yas got busy putting the scorpion on, and it Fit!!! almost perfect!

After:

Looks good, and sounds better ;)

But i must say, fuel consumption has dropped quite alot!!
not too bad on the motorway, it used to do 30-35mpg, but now its more like mid 20's.

Pulling away hard and whizzing round corners, i had it right down to 7, 7!!!!!!

But....... OMG it flies!!!!! now i know what worp speed is like ;)

A BIG 'thankyou' to Mr Mad and Yasmine for helping out.

Mucho Respecto  ;)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 07:48:17 PM by Jimmy »
Just one now -

Land-Barge

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 07:15:30 PM »
Looks like a good fit that, of course your mpg is gonna go down if ya keep booting it :D

Jimmy

• Zepp
  • South East Bruv!
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 07:24:53 PM »
Looks like a good fit that, of course your mpg is gonna go down if ya keep booting it :D

No no i wasnt...... much! i did a lil at first for the sound and power, but then went on to test the mpg (Sensibly) the rest of the way back,,.,,..,,.,.,. eeeeek!

Im not surprised about the mpg, coz it is Chipped, possible bigger throttle body, K&N panel filter and now the exhaust. i am rather curious of its bhp now since its last 209bhp run.

note: my number plate is L240 XXX, so think a goal is set to reach that number output in the future ;)
Just one now -

Land-Barge

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2010, 07:32:15 PM »
So what was the fitment/ground clearance like in relation to the old system?  Better or worse?

Jimmy

• Zepp
  • South East Bruv!
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2010, 07:34:17 PM »
So what was the fitment/ground clearance like in relation to the old system?  Better or worse?

Pretty much the same fankfully, so there is a lil room left for lowering it if i choose  ;D
Just one now -