Author Topic: Fed Up With My Crappy Stereo!  (Read 8201 times)

Pedro

Fed Up With My Crappy Stereo!
« on: July 26, 2010, 09:53:36 PM »
I know I've whinged about this before, probably had an answer (and can't find it now), but now I have me Carlton mojo back, I wanna sort it - properly.

JVC summat-or-other head unit (I know this is rubbish!), front speakers are Vibe summat or other, tweeters in standard position on standard wiring, rear speakers JBL summat or other with seperate tweeters through some sort og splitter thing and a 10" boom box in the boot.

Right, it sounds very "narrow" compared to the standard Omega CCR600 (I think) setup, and miles worse than the Bose in the Omega Elite Truck (OK, it's Bose, but still ten years old!!).
Also, when turned up a bit or LOUD button on at a decent volume, the thing sort of switches off and tries to come back on, which it won't unless you turn the volume down.
Is this down to the El Cheaposhitto  JVC head unit, or mis-match speakers or summat else?

I got the amp and 10" boom box cos I thought I'd get a nice bass drum punch, but it doesn't happen - it works, but not how I thought it would work. ::)

Any - all - suggestions welcome, cos I'm gonna rip this lot out before too long!!! ;D

mapblue

• Shetland
Re: Fed Up With My Crappy Stereo!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 05:37:36 PM »
First thing get yourself on ebay and find an Alpine head-unit,go for one that's about five year old and as top spec as you can afford.Go for the first off the ones with MP3.

The new Alpine stuff is cr-p IMOA.

One thing I found with my set was when I removed the dash tweeters and use a set of two way speakers in the front doors,that was the biggest improvement in the sound.
Oh no not again

Pedro

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 05:45:22 PM »
Yeah, kinda thinking that there's too much treble and not quite enough mid.
Bass isn't too bad to be honest.

Was thinking Pioneer head unit...........but which one I don't know, as not a great fan of the look of the Alpines TBH!

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • Wanted: Life
  • dartford kent
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 05:46:22 PM »
some nice kenwood stuff about!!
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

Jimmy

• Zepp
  • South East Bruv!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 10:18:14 AM »
i remember Argos doing some quality cheap head units a lil while back :)
Just one now -
94' Senator 24V Ex-Old Bill - The White Pearl

melinx

• WHO created me in his own image ?
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 01:28:35 PM »
The Sony head unit that I mentioned in the post below has its own graphic equaliser (electronically programmed) so you can set the 'Ooompa' and 'twiddly dees' to your taste.

http://totalcarlton.com/forums/index.php/topic,10921.msg87628.html#msg87628

Pedro

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 03:28:05 PM »
i remember Argos doing some quality cheap head units a lil while back :)
Yeah - I think alot of my problems is down to the cheap JVC unit, to be honest.
Well, that and not having the front tweeters going through crossovers.

Land-Barge

• 3 litre armchair special
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 10:18:17 AM »
Is your stereo just plugged into the the standard wiring loom Pedro?  I've found with most large installs the power feed needs to come direct from the battery with decent quality wire otherwise when you turn it up the stereo can't draw enough power and cuts outs like you describe. 

Pedro

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 10:34:46 AM »
Yeah - I have to say, I've been thinking that too.

When the dash comes out (yet again!!!) this autumn, I think I'm gonna look at re-wiring the speakers, a dedicated permanent live feed and re-route the cabling for the amp.

Still think the JVC is poo though! ;D

diplomat2.6

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 08:56:32 PM »
The best system I've heard in a Carlton was my old J reg CDX - once I'd sold it! He put in a Nakamichi CD400 head unit. No boom box as it wasn't needed. Most haven't heard of them but they are on wikipedia. In the 1980s they made the Dragon, a 2000 cassette deck. Still quite pricey on eBay and non of those ridiculous swimming dolphins on the display and subtle styling

carlton_mad

• Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 07:49:50 AM »
nakamichi are the the bollocks their cassette decks sound as good as CD awesome kit!!
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

Pedro

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 07:24:32 PM »
Got hardly any tapes left to play on it - all digital now.
I'm in the 21st Century, baby! ;D

carlton_mad

• Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 10:33:26 PM »
but they do do CD players too!!

diplomat2.6

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 08:07:15 AM »
There is a CD300 on eBay at the moment for 139.99. The older ones are considered better, by all accounts. Seems to be true quite often