Author Topic: door handle ?  (Read 10245 times)

biffbangpow

• Ferryhill,County Durham
door handle ?
« on: February 19, 2010, 11:35:42 PM »
well e99 getting a ne w door handle over the weekend , fingers crossed

however the new handles whit and need painting
how do you split it for the lever part of the handle ?
[img][/img]

flash911

• NO!! Not More Rust FFS!!
  • Wanted: Life
  • 12 Cylinders, 48 valves. ;0)
Re: door handle ?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 12:53:27 PM »
can u get a pic of the reverse side ?
One Day!

U.D. - Omega DTM Rep

• Want parts? TOUGH!!! Buy something else....
  • I'm just a six cylinder & Irmscher JUNKIE!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 04:36:03 PM »

First off Mick, you must turn over the door handle to reveal the other side showing you how the door handle is held together. Once this is done, remove the long retaining spring that is located where the red line is in on the picture below....

Gentle persuasion is required to do this as you slide the retaining spring out from the two locating points on the door handles main body. Once this is out of the way, lift the top part of the door handle (like seen in the pic below) to remove this part from the door handle....

A little bit of wiggling will see the door handle separate into two parts like the pictures below....

Now you should be left with just the part of the door handle that you want to paint. There is now only the door lock barrel to remove from the door handle body.

To remove the door lock barrel, simply lift out the door locks retaining spring in the direction of the red arrow in the picture above....

when this retaining spring is removed, the door lock can be simply lifted out from the door handle body. And now that the door handle is in pieces, you can now prep all the parts that require new paint to match your vehicle.

HTH! :P
Nissan took a 600bhp NISMO Racecar and de-tuned this flagship Coupé for everyday use on public roads. GM took a reliable Carlton GSi 3000 24v and had Lotus convert it into a 377bhp Bahnstorming Lotus Carlton. Both vehicles were on sale from 1989....Which manufacturer would you trust with your cash??

melinx

• WHO created me in his own image ?
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 04:47:17 PM »
Crackin info :) I reckon you should put it in the 'How to' section before it gets buried !

U.D. - Omega DTM Rep

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 04:50:43 PM »
Thanks for the praise Melinx but I don't have any magic admin powers so I cannot move this into the "How To" section mate.....
Nissan took a 600bhp NISMO Racecar and de-tuned this flagship Coupé for everyday use on public roads. GM took a reliable Carlton GSi 3000 24v and had Lotus convert it into a 377bhp Bahnstorming Lotus Carlton. Both vehicles were on sale from 1989....Which manufacturer would you trust with your cash??

Pedro

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 07:05:05 PM »
I'll move it. ;)

Spot -on Sean
Beware though, I almost chopped a finger off doing this!!!!!
Then I stuck V*ctra B handles on....................

U.D. - Omega DTM Rep

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 07:08:46 PM »
I'll move it. ;)

Errrmm....What did Chris do earlier then Pete when it moved from the "Interior" section of this forum?? :-\ :-\ :-\

***EDIT***

No need to answer that-un as I now see that Chris had moved the topic into the Bodywork section! ;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 07:12:32 PM by U.D. - Omega DTM Rep »

biffbangpow

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 11:34:26 PM »
thanks for that brilliant
i soon had it apart , however the side i was doing didn't have the locking pin
luckily the other handle passenger side did so swapped them over
however the handle doesn,t seem to be in the correct postion , and is catching somewhere
could this be caused by deformation of the hole in the door ?
have a look at my pics of trying to replace the handle !
the bodge
[img][/img]
the hole
[img][/img]
trail fit
[img][/img]
hmmmmmmmmmm
[img][/img]
found some booty
[img][/img]

trouble is if we fit the gasket round the handle its really hard /impossible to get the rear holding pins in place
and the handle motion is poor
any ideas
its not finished as yet
turned very cold !!

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 11:39:22 PM »
need a new door mick!!!
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

biffbangpow

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 11:48:58 PM »
need a new door mick!!!

think your right chris , but dont think it be getting one !
unless i can get one really cheap !
jonny aint got one , either !

the cars going to the sword in july when the motty runs out !

U.D. - Omega DTM Rep

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 11:54:44 PM »
need a new door mick!!!

I totally agree 100% with Chris there Mick. The pictures you posted up of that door are truly shocking!!! :o :o :o

Its in a right state, You would be totally pissing in the wind trying to make a door handle work on that doorskin IMHO. It looks to me like the only reason that the handle was filled over in the first place is because someone had possibly vandalised it beforehand and filling it over was a quick, cheap and easy solution for the GSi's previous owner.... ::) ::) ::)

If you're gonna paint the door handle body properly, you may-as-well get yourself a tidy driverside door first and spray them all at the same time Mick. Any bodywork repairs done to that Drivers side door you've posted pictures of won't last long with normal everyday use and so would be a complete waste of your money and your time if you are intent on keeping this vehicle.

JM2PW! :P

biffbangpow

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 12:18:08 AM »
need a new door mick!!!

I totally agree 100% with Chris there Mick. The pictures you posted up of that door are truly shocking!!! :o :o :o

Its in a right state, You would be totally pissing in the wind trying to make a door handle work on that doorskin IMHO. It looks to me like the only reason that the handle was filled over in the first place is because someone had possibly vandalised it beforehand and filling it over was a quick, cheap and easy solution for the GSi's previous owner.... ::) ::) ::)

If you're gonna paint the door handle body properly, you may-as-well get yourself a tidy driverside door first and spray them all at the same time Mick. Any bodywork repairs done to that Drivers side door you've posted pictures of won't last long with normal everyday use and so would be a complete waste of your money and your time if you are intent on keeping this vehicle.

thanks
as said cars going the journey in july
thats why i bought it really as a donor for the other one
its got a better boot and bonnet , and its in colour !
both screens are orginal 87 ones front with airel in so they are worth removing etc
good set of wheels

so if i can just get the handle servicable that,ll suffice ,

if i can take the flange back a bit , would that help the motion of the handle ??

Pedro

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 12:53:44 AM »
I'll move it. ;)

Errrmm....What did Chris do earlier then Pete when it moved from the "Interior" section of this forum?? :-\ :-\ :-\

Never, EVER, under ANY circumstances, even if war breaks out, question the actions of Admin or Mods - it's simply not done, shows bad form and gives the rest of the rabble a free hand to start a mutiny.
 ;D ;D ;D

Anyhow, joking aside, I see it as a decent How To.
Chris is an Admin, I'm a mere Mod, so if he sees fit to put it back in bodywork, then fine by me - I also didn't see that it had been moved from interiors. ;)

Pedro

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 12:56:43 AM »

thanks
as said cars going the journey in july
thats why i bought it really as a donor for the other one
its got a better boot and bonnet , and its in colour !
both screens are orginal 87 ones front with airel in so they are worth removing etc
good set of wheels

if i can take the flange back a bit , would that help the motion of the handle ??
[/quote]

Is grey a colour though?
I think it's a shade. ;D

Your bloody disgusting lime green Chelski shirt - now THAT's a colour mate! LOL!!!!!!

U.D. - Omega DTM Rep

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 12:59:52 AM »

I claimed on my Insurance last year for a windscreen replacement for my own DTM rep GSi Mick after my cars original item got broken thanks to vandals. I was asked by Autoglass what type of screen I wanted for my car as both the early type with aerial and later types without this were available. The choices didn't end there either as I could have had a green tint or brown tinted replacement windscreen screen with or without a blue top tint sun screen for my Carlton too.

Ok, its not a GM factory original windscreen as its made by the RAC but I aint complaining!

Hmmm....My problem is Mick that there is now a weakness in the doorskin. Yes, after lots of messing about building the handle up in the Driverside door then stripping it down again, time after time, after time....you might get a semi-functioning door handle but its going to look absolutely awful and will give off the wrong vibe to any potential car thieves! >:( >:( >:(

Even after 20+ years....The GSi 3000 is still well known as the Ram-Raiders favorite!

Where that door skin of yours has split Mick, It wouldn't take a hell-of-a-lot of force to push any door handle through that damaged door skin....thus easily gaining access to put your hand inside the door itself and pop open the door locking mechanism manually.

Within 30seconds of getting the door open this way, the car could be then hot wired, steering column smashed and the next time you saw it again it would probably be smashed up, stripped out or even a burnt out wreck. This happened to my mate Stuarts GSi 3000 24v not that long ago. :'(

Sorry to be so blunt here Mick but this ain't the private ABS forum as TC is a fully public open to everyone place, so the whole World and His Dog knows about your new GSi's door issues and any devious or underhand person reading this topic could help themselves to your GSi if they desperately needed parts for their own vehicle.

I know money is tight for everyone just this minute Mick but a scrapper Senator B or Mk3 Carlton front door (these are the same items for both models BTW) can be bought complete for around £50 or £60 and swapping the door over wouldn't take that long to do either. Yes, this too would look ugly as chances of getting a good Starmist Black door are slim but at least your car and the valuables inside it would be that little bit safer each time you parked it up.

Do yourself a favour Mick, don't waste your time playing about with that damaged door, Get a replacement item instead.

What is it Pedro says: Buy cheap, buy twice?? Pete's not wrong....

biffbangpow

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 01:28:13 AM »
very well put mate
so new door then asap
already posted in wanted !

U.D. - Omega DTM Rep

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 01:40:44 AM »
very well put mate

Sorry to nag at ya Mick! :-[ :-[ :-[

I think you are very wise, Its better to be safe than sorry mate....

biffbangpow

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 09:39:04 PM »
very well put mate

Sorry to nag at ya Mick! :-[ :-[ :-[

I think you are very wise, Its better to be safe than sorry mate....

nag are you joking
june does that very well , imho , lmao

well got a door sorted , diamond black , so if ya squint you,ll never no !!

watch the thread for further progress

U.D. - Omega DTM Rep

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 02:36:43 PM »
well got a door sorted , diamond black , so if ya squint you,ll never no !!

Thats excellent news Mick! :)

biffbangpow

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 10:17:12 PM »
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

just the trim to sort
facelift doors have locating pins for door trim , these need removing , so preface trim can be taped on !

carlton_mad

• 3.0 CDX and now Diamond 3.0 24v
  • Administrator
  • dartford kent
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 10:26:09 PM »
nice one mick glad to see the door made it to you in one piece
what would life be like if we all drove fwd cars? feckin boring that's what rear drive or bust

Mitch1965

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2010, 10:47:04 PM »
Good stuff Mick & the gang. :) :)

biffbangpow

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 10:01:17 PM »
[img][/img]

jonnybear

• Carlton Mad
  • 1993 (k) Carlton CDi 2.0i, Tyne And Wear (NE)
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 09:14:33 PM »
got there in the end mick !

got that mirror on yet ?

biffbangpow

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 09:46:35 PM »
got there in the end mick !

got that mirror on yet ?

nope need and allen key to fit it

bunked off work this week