Author Topic: Got myself a Lotus Omega (at last)  (Read 11144 times)

von-opel

• "Broadsword calling danny boy"
Re: Got myself a Lotus Omega (at last)
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2009, 01:14:04 PM »
That ad has got me bloody tempted myself  ;)

Silly question, why does the Insurance valuation have the car year down as 1970?

Glad you all like my ad, (got a dozen watchers already) first time I've tried Auctiva, seems easy enough & they let you post up to 24 supersizeable pics, & no charge.

I hadn't noticed 1970 on the agreed value cert. Not really important I guess & I agree with Ian, they're very good & reasonable (150 fully comp./ 5000 miles).

That is a real beauty; If it were mine I wouldn't want to let it go and certainly not under 2,500 !

I'm with you all the way regarding automatics ;)

Yes, the important thing with the AR35 transmission is to get the right ECU. When I bought it, it had the code HG ECU which really is hopeless, that was the second ECU (the first one was considered to violent) the third one was just right but had a glitch which caused a buzz, this one is exactly the same but with the glitch fixed. (Such an easy swap, but makes so much difference).

insaneco

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2009, 01:21:19 PM »
in fact last week me and my friend over there were talking about import cav gsi as there worth more here now in nice nick,
strange world!

funnily enuff a m8 of mine had said the exact same thing not so long ago - them and nova's apparently.....

ian

• Wanted: Life
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2009, 01:26:12 PM »
nova`s i didnt have a great dealing with
dont want a early 325 to use for diffing over there do you???its a auto tho!
Classic Car Insurance www.Hagertyinsurance.co.uk    iarthur@hagerty.com
0844 824 1130

insaneco

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2009, 05:51:46 PM »
aye man - apparently nova GSi and SR's are picking up in price over there compared to here - as for the BM send me a PM with relevant details and you never know......

Scatmancraig

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2009, 08:40:21 PM »

Yes, the important thing with the AR35 transmission is to get the right ECU. When I bought it, it had the code HG ECU which really is hopeless, that was the second ECU (the first one was considered to violent) the third one was just right but had a glitch which caused a buzz, this one is exactly the same but with the glitch fixed. (Such an easy swap, but makes so much difference).
I'm the opposite to you.  In a GSi i prefer the MK1 gearbox ECU (can't remember the coding) as the harsher changes suit the more sporty nature of the car.  When i last had an auto GSi, i originally had the Mk4 ECU, but i found it way too slippy and the torque converter lock wouldn't engage until above 60mph, so was useless on normal A-roads.  The Mk1 ECU used to lock up at about 51mph (if i needed it to) so was more economical too!

von-opel

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2009, 09:25:53 PM »

I'm the opposite to you.  In a GSi i prefer the MK1 gearbox ECU (can't remember the coding) as the harsher changes suit the more sporty nature of the car.  When i last had an auto GSi, i originally had the Mk4 ECU, but i found it way too slippy and the torque converter lock wouldn't engage until above 60mph, so was useless on normal A-roads.  The Mk1 ECU used to lock up at about 51mph (if i needed it to) so was more economical too!

You're right about the first one having harsher changes, Gm had complaints about this, especially from Senator owners who expected a more Jaguar type smoothness, the HG had a reputation for being too slippy. I found the KZ locks up around 50. I've got a comprehensive list of them somewhere that GM gave us, I'll try find & post it.

melinx

• WHO created me in his own image ?
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2009, 10:24:55 PM »
That list would definitely be useful :) mine is an alpha code KX and suits my lightfooted driving style, it locks up below 50 and gives very smooth changes :)

I have a spare with the alpha code YP and would be very interested to know the difference ;)

von-opel

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2009, 01:01:05 PM »
That list would definitely be useful :) mine is an alpha code KX and suits my lightfooted driving style, it locks up below 50 and gives very smooth changes :)

I have a spare with the alpha code YP and would be very interested to know the difference ;)

YU = MkI  S mode too abrupt (lots of complaints from Senator owners)
HG = MkII  "    "    too soft (this was known as the 'slush box')
JK  = MkIII Good shift patterns but was known to cause howling in 'N'
KZ = MkIV    "       "        "      (same firmware as JK / howling bug fixed)

It sounds like you've got a KZ, my favorite, but some of the more 'press on' types prefer the YU which has a more aggressive shift pattern but is somewhat more uneconomical. Take your pick between the two really, depends what you want, it also sounds like you've got a YU as well. Try it for a day or two, see what you think, it's only a two minute job to change it after all.

mapblue

• Shetland
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2009, 04:38:13 PM »
When you going to pick up your new one.
Oh no not again

von-opel

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2009, 04:55:54 PM »
When you going to pick up your new one.

Probably next month, if all goes to plan.

Scatmancraig

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2009, 06:53:17 PM »

It sounds like you've got a KZ, my favorite, but some of the more 'press on' types prefer the YU which has a more aggressive shift pattern but is somewhat more uneconomical. Take your pick between the two really, depends what you want, it also sounds like you've got a YU as well. Try it for a day or two, see what you think, it's only a two minute job to change it after all.
Mine was definately a YU!

Don't agree with the uneconomical part though.  I managed a 510 mile round trip with mine (a personal best on a single tank with an automatic 24v), most of the journey with a fairly heavily loaded car too.  Think it worked out at just over 31mpg which i didn't think was too bad.

melinx

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2009, 06:58:30 PM »
With my KX in the 2.6 diplomat I get 38 mpg loaded up to the 'gunnel's' on 180 mile trip fom the Isle of Wight ;)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 07:01:07 PM by melinx »

von-opel

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2009, 12:57:32 PM »

Mine was definately a YU!

Don't agree with the uneconomical part though.  I managed a 510 mile round trip with mine (a personal best on a single tank with an automatic 24v), most of the journey with a fairly heavily loaded car too.  Think it worked out at just over 31mpg which i didn't think was too bad.

I agree, personally I don't think there's any difference in economy at all, I was just quoting from an old GM service bulletin that came out about the time when they were chopping & changing the ECUs. I seem to remember it was only the Senator owners who complained about the abrupt gear changes. Gsi owners seemed to like it. Probably suited their driving style better!

melinx

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2009, 01:57:06 PM »

Many thanks for the info, still a bit puzzled by the differences in the final letters of the alpha code though ! I'm guessing that there were a number of iterations before they decided that a change to the first letter was necessary ?

Incidentally, you make no mention in your ebay ad. of cruise control although the stalk has the controls for it.

I wouldn't like to be without my CC, very relaxing on the motorway and prevents getting 'flashed' on roads with sneaky cameras ;)

von-opel

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2009, 08:43:13 PM »

From Melinx

Many thanks for the info, still a bit puzzled by the differences in the final letters of the alpha code though ! I'm guessing that there were a number of iterations before they decided that a change to the first letter was necessary ?

Incidentally, you make no mention in your ebay ad. of cruise control although the stalk has the controls for it.

I wouldn't like to be without my CC, very relaxing on the motorway and prevents getting 'flashed' on roads with sneaky cameras ;)

Melinx: For you information I seem to remember the KX was the equivalent transmission ECU for the 2.6, as the KZ was to the 3.0, the difference being the fact that the 2.6 had a different engine ECU & as the 2 ECUs had to 'talk' to one another & were interconnected there were differences in the firmware. It was really quite an advanced system at the time.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 02:53:11 PM by Murph »

melinx

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2009, 10:10:02 PM »
Melinx: For you information I seem to remember the KX was the equivalent transmission ECU for the 2.6, as the KZ was to the 3.0, the difference being the fact that the 2.6 had a different engine ECU & as the 2 ECUs had to 'talk' to one another & were interconnected there were differences in the firmware. It was really quite an advanced system at the time.

Thanks again :) it all becomes clearer !

I reckon that it's still pretty advanced and confirms my belief that they didn't spend millions on development for nothing so it's well worth the effort to keep it working as designed: In other words, don't muck about with it unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing ;)

jonnybear

• Carlton Mad
  • 1993 (k) Carlton CDi 2.0i, Tyne And Wear (NE)
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2009, 02:04:57 PM »
Mr opel, what are all the extra switches for in your dash im very intrigued?

von-opel

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2009, 03:55:01 PM »
Mr opel, what are all the extra switches for in your dash im very intrigued?

Very observant! The two on the far left are radio on/off (I like to be able to switch it on & off easily - the one on the radio is tiny - awkward with a gloved hand in winter, for example. Second from left is to switch the electric fan on without waiting for engine temperature to rise & trip the 'otter' switch - in hot summer traffic, for example.

On the far right is the switch for the speed camera locator (the Snooper below the radio - if you wire this through the ignition & you stop for a moment to, say, get petrol, it takes ages to re-acquire the satellites), and lastly is the switch to operate the power aerial (I know there's an output from the radio to do this but if you're turning the radio on & off or changing to CD/cassette, the aerial's going up & down like a tart's knickers, so I prefer a manual switch).

jonnybear

• Carlton Mad
  • 1993 (k) Carlton CDi 2.0i, Tyne And Wear (NE)
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2009, 09:25:45 PM »
lmao ! i like that 

some very good mods youve done there i'm looking to do the same for the electric fan

also for the aerial you can put it down whilst going through a car wash and still listen to the radio ! very cool

thanks for that

melinx

« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2009, 03:18:13 PM »

I've now tried the YP variant and I really can't detect any difference ???