Author Topic: The dreaded MOT again  (Read 214 times)

djbthatsme

The dreaded MOT again
« on: September 19, 2018, 12:21:59 PM »
Its that time again - the Carlton is being put through its annual physical once again, which I am dreading.

From my understanding the regime is yet again being changed to cause the owners further headaches and concerns in keeping the cars on the road. If I remember correctly the MOT changed in 2016 which proved to be unreasonable so it has changed yet again. In this instance having the MOT within the 4 week period before its due date may have limited benefit. If it fails the MOT you, as the owner, doesn't  necessarily have the remaining time before the MOT due date to utilise.

If the vehicle fails due to a significant element then the remaining duration before the MOT period ceases to exist. Then under those circumstances the driver could be causing an offence if he/she continues to drive the car before the jobs are done and it passes its MOT.

Needless to say the punishment for being caught driving under these circumstances can lead to a fine, points on your licence and increase in insurance costs.   

djbthatsme

Re: The dreaded MOT again
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 06:55:45 PM »
I bit the bullet today and took the car in for its MOT.

Because of the concern it was causing me and not knowing what effect it would have I woke at about 4 o'clock this morning to check out the consequences of the new MOT. From my research it seems that the MOT inspectors are also confused by the new rules imposed upon them.

The car had been checked over yesterday by yours truly but I wasn't confident that it would pass, however with a sullen look on his face (to fool me) the examiner told me that the car had passed - thank goodness.

So with smile on face I'm looking forward to another year of motoring in my beloved Carlton. 

0795omega

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 12:53:28 PM »
nice one djb,mot time allways a worry!

djbthatsme

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 02:55:31 PM »
Thanks 0795omega,
I was convinced that the Carlton would fail on this occasion more probably because I need to have it for an impending  journey.
In my experience if something can go wrong when most needed then it will - also known as sods law.

Taking the car to  the garage for the MOT where I've been going to for the best part of 30 years may have been helpful particularly where they have done most of the work over this period. In some ways it could be said that they know the car very well and could be jointly responsible for its wellbeing. Also if anything seems to be wrong or needs attention then the garage attends to it ASAP so the car is well maintained.

0795omega

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 08:27:26 PM »
thats the way i guess? well maintained throughout the year then mot pass shouldnt be to out of reach?

24Vdiamond

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 05:59:07 PM »
Well done on the pass, another years cheap motoring! Hopefully!!
280,000 miles of 24V fun and slowly dissolving!!

djbthatsme

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 07:37:42 PM »
Thanks for reply 24vdiamond,
It probably won't be cheap motoring this year.
As you no doubt know keeping a car on the road nowadays is not cheap. If I had a decent garage with a pit then a lot of the jobs I'd be able to do myself but I don't so my local garage sees my car very often throughout the year. The rear brake back plates are on their way so the intention is to get them changed together with the rear brakes and road springs. Over the past months I have been collecting the parts to make the cost of changing them less hurtful when the time comes.

There are other things that need to be done but they will to wait their turn.

So it won't be cheap but hopefully it will be reliable and obviously cheaper than if it failed.