Author Topic: Indicator lenses  (Read 434 times)

DKT1

Indicator lenses
« on: July 14, 2018, 01:37:14 PM »
WP_20180714_13_03_36_Pro by David Taylor, on Flickr
WP_20180714_13_03_19_Pro by David Taylor, on Flickr
new Indicators fitted two years ago, still look like new, with no dirty line round them.
Wonderful stuff that silicon!
And with the tiny screws, no loose lenses to fall of on the motorway  ;D.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 01:50:07 PM by DKT1 »
Carlton 2.0ltr Diamond Est

PeterC

• Wanted: Life
Re: Indicator lenses
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 08:13:52 PM »
Oh yes I see the screws now !. One on each corner. My plan was to drill a hole in the top horizontal part and use a cable tie to keep it near the car when it comes loose !. Probably just flap and snap off at 70 mph so a small screw on each corner would be less strain.

Prey tell where did you source these outer lens bits from ?.
1993 2.0 CD(X)i Auto Estate (Rioja Red very little tin worm & reasonable paint).
RIP - 1992 2.0 CDXi Manual Estate (Spectral Blue with far too much tin worm, now only parts).

Old age means wondering: Do I really have to struggle to become an expert in something I might never need to do again.

DKT1

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 05:29:58 PM »
They are No.4 A2 Stainless steel self tapping screws, I think they were 9mm long, but they do them in 13mm as well.
I really wanted them in A4 Marine grade, they don't go down to the No.4 size in A4 so A2 is OK, you do get a slight rust discolouration after a while but it just rubs off when washing the car.
Drilling is a bit tricky with the drill bits being so thin, I found using a drill stand is the best as doing it freehand the drill can grab on the lens plastic and pull it in ruining the smaller hole in the back half, countersinking is very "little by little" as it's easy to go too far and the screw goes right through :-[ only did one wrong but sorted it  ;)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A2-Stainless-Steel-No-4-Countersunk-Self-Tapping-Screws-/150797150969?var=&hash=item68ca82ffa0
You can't go wrong @ 99p for 10, delivered, and never having that "I know there's something funny with the front of the car but I can't put my finger on it, OH! now I see it"  >:( feeling, followed by "where am I going to get two of them from" :-\ ever again.
Carlton 2.0ltr Diamond Est

djbthatsme

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 11:46:38 AM »
Hello DKT1,
Your actions beg the question was it necessary to secure the lenses the way that you have.

Ive continually owned and driven Carltons since 1990 without any of the lenses parting company with the car. This as involved mixed motorway and non-motorway routes covering well in excess of K100 miles without losing a lens. Perhaps my roads are smoother than yours.  * I would have jokingly included facial images at this stage but I've lost them for some unknown reason*

nightmare

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 01:47:41 AM »
I used plastic weld to "glue" mine.

Plummer's cement is the same sort of stuff.
No problems since.

Neat job with the screws though.
Easy going untill PUSHED!!!!