Author Topic: Final drive pinion oil seal  (Read 575 times)

djbthatsme

Final drive pinion oil seal
« on: February 18, 2018, 01:47:14 PM »
There is oil leaking from the rear of my Carlton which seems to come from the diff.
I have been informed that the oil is leaking from between the oil seal, which as been recently changed, and the drive pinion.
The Mechanic involved stated that the drive pinion is scored enabling the oil to escape.
Fairly constant topping up by the garage leads me to believe that I should be considering buying shares in Shell to offset the exhorbitant use
of oil by the garage paid by  me or the problem should be resolved.
I expect my line of questions are:
- Can another drive pinion be bought and from where, other than the  main dealers.
- Can the drive pinion be worked on such as filling in the score marks and making good.
- Can additives be used in the oil to help stop the leak.
- Are there drive pinions from other cars that can be used eg Omega, calibre etc.

All relevant thoughts welcome.

Thankyou   

24Vdiamond

Re: Final drive pinion oil seal
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 07:19:08 PM »
It does sound like the garage doing the work don't have much of an idea, the oil seal does not run on the pinion, it actually runs on the drive flange that the prop shaft attaches to so it would be a very easy part to clean up to remove scores when replacing the seal as you have to remove this flange.

The oil seal did go through a part number change and you have to use the later flange to match, this was also used on the Omega B range, what seal did they use and where did they get it? was it a genuine seal? do you have an invoice that lists the work if so ask for the oil seal part number

Origional oil seal part number 90222991, later oil seal 90522524 used with flange 90522520, the later oil seal 90522524 then changes to part number 24435952, all assuming its a 2.0 saloon

280,000 miles of 24V fun and slowly dissolving!!

DKT1

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 12:25:39 AM »
If it does have the correct oil seal and it does have a score/groove on the pinion, then the easiest solution is to fit a Shaft Repair Sleeve / Speedi Sleeve, they fit in no time and repair it 100% and should only cost 10 - 15.
They come in mm and inch sizes so you just have to get the size?
There made from hard stainless, so will not wear or rust and only increase the shaft size by .5mm, they also come with there own installing tool, can be a bit tricky to trim to length as they are so hard, a file wont touch it.
Mended my distributor drive on the back of the head with one after fitting two new oil seals with no result, fitted a sleeve, perfect! another annoying oil leak done for good.
Carlton 2.0ltr Diamond Est

djbthatsme

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 01:00:41 PM »
Thanks for your replies DKT1 and 24vdiamond,
the info gives me food for thought.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what's being said there are two different schools of thought being offered which is confusing.
First of all if the drive pinion is scored then a shaft repair sleeve can be fitted which would resolve the problem.
I was aware of the existence of the repair sleeves but at the moment I don't know what size would be required.

The second school of thought suggests that there isn't an oil seal in contact with the pinion but "runs" on the drive flange that the propshaft is attached to.

Perhaps I've misunderstood whats been stated to me by the garage, so for the purpose of clarity it may be wise to understand where the oil seal is housed.
Would this be at the front and in the casing of the final drive unit.

I will be checking this with the garage but would also be grateful for your further input.

DKT1

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 03:42:50 PM »
As far as a quick check comes up with the seal size as ? But obviously you/they will check this!
Outer diameter = 47mm
Inner diameter = 29.85mm
The flange is what the oil seal runs on not actually the pinion shaft, which makes it easier to repair as it can be removed with the diff still in place (exactly as they did when changing the oil seal)
A sleeve can be pressed on to the flange using a vice and the installing tube supplied, very easily.
http://www.skf.com/uk/products/seals/industrial-seals/power-transmission-seals/wear-sleeves/skf-speedi-sleeve/installing-skf-speedi-sleeve/index.html
Will give you a guide on how to fit one.
No: 99122 should be the correct size,
http://www.skf.com/uk/products/seals/industrial-seals/power-transmission-seals/wear-seals-skf-speedi-sleeve/index.html
http://www.skf.com/uk/products/seals/industrial-seals/power-transmission-seals/wear-seals-skf-speedi-sleeve/index.html?designation=99122&unit=metricUnit
Hope this helps.
I found one at 15 inc p&p so not that dear a repair.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 03:46:50 PM by DKT1 »
Carlton 2.0ltr Diamond Est

djbthatsme

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 03:04:53 PM »
Hello once again fellow brethren,
I've arguably been successful and unsuccessful in my quest to resolve the oil leak from the diff.

Unsuccessful - First of all I found and received oil seals (2) from a retail outlet on the net. Having checked them  they were found to be wrong and now they have to be returned, that's life. I know of someone who has one but he may be reluctant to sell it to me because we had a disagreement about a year ago when Paypal stepped in to force him to fully repay me. I'll give it a go - what do I have to lose.

Success arguably - I haven't seen any tell tale signs of oil leakage from the diff. This obviously needs to be clarified one way or another but there aren't any unusual sounds coming from the backend and my drive is clear of oil stains.

djbthatsme

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 07:45:56 PM »
I popped into my local friendly garage the other day when they were closed - or meant to be.

I don't make a habit of breaking into garages particularly when I want someone else to do the work but this was an opportunity which I could not pass up. It was Saturday and they close at about 12 - 1 o`clock but on this occasion the side door was open where one of the mechanics was still at it. This gave  me the opportunity to gate crash the party where were more occupants who were hanging around chewing the fat etc.

There was a reason for my intrusion which related to the oil leaking from the Carltons rear end. History of this topic (above)illustrates my concern of oil leaking from the diff particularly when longish journeys are imminent.  Signs of leaking oil have previously been obvious on my drive underneath the axle so before undertaking a trip of any length the garage checks the oil level and tops up the oil.

Another one of my journeys to Wales was forthcoming so the car was lifted up on the ramp and one of the guys checked the oil level with a view to adding oils to the axle. I was keeping an eye on proceedings and discussed the situation with the mechanic which led him to taking the filler plug out in front of me and demonstrating that there was more than adequate oil in axle. 

Ironically there weren't any oil stains on my drive at home when normally there would be so maybe the leak as sealed itself - anyway its a peculiar one whatever. I shall keep an eye on the drive to see whether there is future signs of leakage.

24Vdiamond

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 09:51:03 AM »
There is a breather valve on top of the diff, if this gets blocked it can force the oil out of the seals which might be another idea to look at
280,000 miles of 24V fun and slowly dissolving!!

djbthatsme

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 06:13:26 PM »
Thanks for your reply 24vdiamond,
I shall certainly bear this in mind should the oil leak return. At the moment I am pleased with current events and if signs of leakage do not recur I'll leave things as they are. The car only covers about K5 every year so hopefully there shouldn't be any need to disturb things in the near future.